Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Card game systems always turn me off a game, even if it meant to be good. Its just an unappealing way for presenting a battle system to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really enjoyed Baten Kaitos but it comes with a caveat, it takes a while before it is good.

The problem is at the start you only have a small hand of cards and haven't much tactics to use. However once that hand grows bigger the game gets far more tactically interesting as you have to decided on using say an item that will heal the enemy if you have the possibility of getting a high level run or flush.

It actually works really well and the battle system really makes the game, it's a whole heap of fun once it gets going.

Everything else though... music is good. Story is so unmemorable I can't tell you what it's about and visuals range from gorgeous to out of place and ugly. But it's a game where you play it for the amazing battle system.

Legend of Dragoon on the other hand has no redeeming features.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

While everyone is raving about Last of us 2 and Cyberpunk , here I am eagerly waiting for Star Ocean First Departure R .

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I played and replayed that so much on the psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Owned that for at least 6 years on PSP and never played more than an hour of it. Might try this version since its meant to have better character art.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it was announced weeks ago.

It's a decent game. More interesting than good. My only issue is that in modernizing the game they made it look worse than the gorgeous SNES original.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

While everyone is raving about Last of us 2 and Cyberpunk , here I am eagerly waiting for Star Ocean First Departure R .

Can't wait for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos have Dragon Quest XI on the site for €48.99 unfortunately no stock in until Tuesday in the stores I've checked, I've ordered one here's hoping they honour the price.

http://www.checkargos.com/product/3104329

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Argos have Dragon Quest XI on the site for €48.99 unfortunately no stock in until Tuesday in the stores I've checked, I've ordered one here's hoping they honour the price.

Nice one, just reserved there for Monday pickup in Limerick. They seem to have 2 listings for it 59.99 and 48.99. Hopefully they honour it. Availability day seems to vary by store, one store in Limerick had it for collection Monday and the other on Tuesday.

€59.99 is out of stock €48.99 seems to be the updated listing of Dragon Quest XI Definiteve Edition. Now we wait.

• Advertisement

€59.99 is out of stock €48.99 seems to be the updated listing of Dragon Quest XI Definiteve Edition. Now we wait.

Fingers crossed, I have a One4all voucher here that's tearing a hole in my pocket. Promised myself no more games until I make a dent on what I have, just started into Trails of Cold Steel and got FF X/X-2 today, but would be rude not to at that price.

I've a crazy backlog and this along with the very nicely priced Dragon Quest 1,2 and 3 on the Eshop will just make it an even bigger one. Love the Dragon Quest series nice looking games great music fun characters.

Who ever is making these remakes for Square Enix should be taken out back and shot.

Got the DQ1-3 Switch ports. They look so ugly. Basically you have the backgrounds from the excellent SNES remakes but really badly drawn high res sprites slapped on top. Not only are they ugly but the different res assets just totally clashes.

I would like to blame this on Square being lazy and porting the mobile version over, except the mobile versions are excellent and don't have the awful new sprites. They actually put effort into to this port to make it worse.

Still.... nice to have them on Switch. Just wished they had been lazy this time as they've made the game look so much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

M2 were involved with the Collection Of Mana and besides a few quirks I have no issues with them.

Xenji wrote: »
    M2 were involved with the Collection Of Mana and besides a few quirks I have no issues with them.

OK, that was a good one.

This one though kind of looks like it was done by the same team as the horrible FFV and FFVI mobile/PC ports. These aren't as awful as those, but it's even more maddening that in this case they had excellent mobile ports to draw from and choose to put effort in to make them worse. A lazy mobile port would have been the best case :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Interesting, I just ordered the €48.99 version and it too said collection from Tuesday, but the confirmation email says it can be collected today (Saturday). Might change my arm and see if it can be got today so.

/Edit: Got a text saying Dragon Quest Builders XI was ready for collection so popped down and thankfully it was DQXI, €48.99. Happy with that.

Started into FFX yesterday, managed to get nearly 10hrs played. Loving it so far and definitely has grabbed me more than the others I've tried. It's great that I never had a PS cos I'm getting to experience games like this for the first time. Think I'm close to first Blitzball tournament though so will see how I feel about it after that.

Hopefully pick up DQ11 tomorrow now and should have about 800 hrs worth of JRPG in the backlog so will hold off on buying anymore for a few weeks anyway :)

How do folks here rate The Zodiac Age?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Started into FFX yesterday, managed to get nearly 10hrs played. Loving it so far and definitely has grabbed me more than the others I've tried. It's great that I never had a PS cos I'm getting to experience games like this for the first time. Think I'm close to first Blitzball tournament though so will see how I feel about it after that.

Hopefully pick up DQ11 tomorrow now and should have about 800 hrs worth of JRPG in the backlog so will hold off on buying anymore for a few weeks anyway :)

How do folks here rate The Zodiac Age?

I think its a great game, very different from other titles, the battles aren't turned based but real time, I would give it a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Which Final Fantasy hard copies are best bought from Hong Kong/SEA? I know FFX is, because FFX2 is on the cart instead of a download code. And they're getting FFVII/FFVIII physical which I will also be jumping on. Any of the others like that? Any difference in Zodiac Age? Any World of Final Fantasy versions with Maxima on-cart?

I didn't get on well with ffxii but had a blast with zodiac age. The changes they made make it a much better game.

Went from not liking ff12 to beating all the super bosses.

• Advertisement

Might pick up Zodiac Age in the Switch sale so.

Finding the sphere grid a bit intimidating in X. Hard to see what path I'm supposed to follow for each character. Also have a decent amount of S.Lv build up for some characters to move around the grid but dont seem to have the appropriate spheres to upgrade nodes I'm opening for speed, agility etc. Would have thought I'd be accumulating these from normal play, do I need to go farming already or will I pick up these as I progress? I'm just about to enter Chapter 4

Unless you went with the professional sphere grid you can't go wrong. Every character is on a linear path until about the post game. Just fill in every node you can along the way. Kimari is the one exception as he can choose lord of paths at the start but he is useless anyway!

You farm sphere nodes in the arena later on but it's only needed for post game. Don't worry about it for now. The game is extremely linear.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unless you went with the professional sphere grid you can't go wrong. Every character is on a linear path until about the post game. Just fill in every node you can along the way. Kimari is the one exception as he can choose lord of paths at the start but he is useless anyway!

You farm sphere nodes in the arena later on but it's only needed for post game. Don't worry about it for now. The game is extremely linear.

Definitely using the standard sphere grid, just not as clear cut what direction to take for each character as in other games I've played. It's just a bit confusing as I seem to be building up points to move around it a bit but don't have the spheres to fill the nodes I'm passing so was wondering am I doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Definitely using the standard sphere grid, just not as clear cut what direction to take for each character as in other games I've played. It's just a bit confusing as I seem to be building up points to move around it a bit but don't have the spheres to fill the nodes I'm passing so was wondering am I doing something wrong.

Ignore empty spheres for now. It takes a lot of work to fill them, do that on your second loop as you can farm them and sphere levels very easily in the monster arena end game area.

Please tell me Blitzball is optional. After spending about a half hour on the tutorial I still have no clue what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Please tell me Blitzball is optional. After spending about a half hour on the tutorial I still have no clue what's going on.

It is.

Though it's probably my fave ever minigame.

Blitzball becomes a lot more fun once you get the chance to recruit better players.

It's also technically not optional for the post game as you get Wakkas overdrive from it which is essential for it. But it is a lot of fun. Not triple triad fun but close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It is, though it is required for Tidus' ultimate weapon.

So while DQ11 on switch is great and all theres a few niggle.

Texture quality is noticeably reduced in many areas.

It only runs at 30 FPS which is very jarring after the 60 FPS PC version. It's even more jarring when they have turned off any motion blur effects.

Anti Aliasing is also either gone or very low and there's very low antistropic filtering.

It actually ends up looking better in handheld mode.

• Advertisement

Not sure if ye've been watching the updates on Sky Sports lads but we just romped home to a 3-1 victory. Wakka with a screamer to clinch it in the second half after a tight first half. Seriously though, kind of getting used to the offensive side of it but no clue how defending works. I seem to have 0% record of winning tackles but somehow managed to win, I'm sure it'll all make sense in time.

Advertisement