Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ahhh ffs remake has been delayed to April, a week before cyberpunk, wtf are they thinking :rolleyes:

TTLF wrote: »
    I know this seems a little off topic, but do you guys like anime as well as JRPG’s?
    Also is there a forum on here for anime?

Yes but as Retro said, there's a lot of ****e out there, I'm enjoying Gundam atm, they don't make like they use to though, forum is here if you're interested https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=506

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New Gundam worth a watch then? I watched Iron Blooded Orphans on a whim and really enjoyed it, especially the fantastic season 2 that finished it all off. Felt like a good old 80's anime. Went back to watch some of the older ones and liked them.

Also the Atelier Dusk trilogy released yesterday. Definitely worth the sale price it's going for now as you are getting 3 fantastic RPGs and the highlights of the Atelier series so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Iron Blooded Orphans is the one I'm watching on netflixs, on season 2 now, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    New Gundam worth a watch then? I watched Iron Blooded Orphans on a whim and really enjoyed it, especially the fantastic season 2 that finished it all off. Felt like a good old 80's anime. Went back to watch some of the older ones and liked them.

Also the Atelier Dusk trilogy released yesterday. Definitely worth the sale price it's going for now as you are getting 3 fantastic RPGs and the highlights of the Atelier series so far.

The new Build Divers, Re Rise, is half way through atm, it is not great. IBO that Sephiroth is watching is great. Season 2 is a bit weaker that the first though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually preferred Season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I’ve seen a lot of anime’s, way too many to count on two hands. I have a list that I posted in the dead forum above (thanks for that!)

As for JRPGs I’ve playex some Xenoblade but ehhhh

TTLF wrote: »
    I’ve seen a lot of anime’s, way too many to count on two hands. I have a list that I posted in the dead forum above (thanks for that!)

As for JRPGs I’ve playex some Xenoblade but ehhhh

Which xenoblade?

I love all the Xenoblade games. Three of the best JRPGs in the last decade. Especially the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I love all the Xenoblade games. Three of the best JRPGs in the last decade. Especially the first.

I had Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch and tried to love it. Unfortunately I found a lot of the combat system incomprehensible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

skerry wrote: »
    Picked up Bravely Second Deluxe Edition in Argos today for 5.99, nearly fell off my chair when I seen how much its going for on the likes of Ebay.
    Completely out of stock now on the website, raging I missed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Completely out of stock now on the website, raging I missed it

I just seen the deal posted on HDUK and managed to nab the last one in Limerick and that was first thing yesterday morning. I'd say there was very little stock around the country. Picked up a few other games too and most of the ones I reserved were last copies in stock. They had Dragon Quest 7 for 2.99 but no stock to be had anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I had Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch and tried to love it. Unfortunately I found a lot of the combat system incomprehensible!!

^^^^

Doodah7 wrote: »

Admittedly it takes a long time before the battle systems in these games click and Xenoblade 2 was way worse than the first game or X, but when it does it's one of the best battle systems in a RPG. I kind of just enjoyed the exploring the most in the game.

Really enjoyed the XC2 combat system once it fully clicked with me. Just need to make sure you have enough variety in your blades to topple, launch and slam opponents and you can pull off some seriously satisfying combo's

Admittedly it takes a long time before the battle systems in these games click and Xenoblade 2 was way worse than the first game or X, but when it does it's one of the best battle systems in a RPG. I kind of just enjoyed the exploring the most in the game.

Would it be worth trying to buy a Wii u just for x?

It's not as good as the first game. The story is ****e but it's just a fantastic game to go explore and arse about in. Wouldn't say it's worth a wiiu unless you get one cheap. I had a blast with it anyway and put in about 150 hours. I did here that it might not come to switch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I had a good time with xenoblade 2 but Xenoblade 1 is a vastly superior game in every aspect.

Xenoblade 2 combat is a little more repetitive once you understand the mechanics and how to use elements properly to create longer chain combos.

Anyone who has not experienced the first game I strongly recommend the upcoming definitive remaster that is coming to the switch. Supposedly they are adding new worlds that was cut from the original game.

Its def one of the best Jrpgs of the ps3/360/wii era

Anyone who has not experienced the first game I strongly recommend the upcoming definitive remaster that is coming to the switch. Supposedly they are adding new worlds that was cut from the original game.

Any release date for that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone think a dubbed English voice pack will release for Tokyo Mirage for switch it'd be nice to have the option.

Pretty sure the switch release is dual audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone think a dubbed English voice pack will release for Tokyo Mirage for switch it'd be nice to have the option.

Doubt it. They went so far in their censorship of tye title that they recorded new lines with the Japanese VAs so that it matches the altered subtitles.

Japan also got the censored version this time and had to offer refunds to people who already preordered before confirming this.

Any release date for that yet?

Nothing confirmed yet , though I read somewhere it may be released around May I think

Is Legend of Legacy on the 3DS any good folks? NIS EU have it on hardcopy for £9.99 but reviews seem mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

skerry wrote: »
    Is Legend of Legacy on the 3DS any good folks? NIS EU have it on hardcopy for £9.99 but reviews seem mixed.

My understanding is the Alliance Alive from the same developer is the same concept better realized?

It's supposed to be excellent. Problem with the reviews of that game is a lot of reviewers didn't understand it. Jeremy parish loves it. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to the saga games but with much less bull****.

It's supposed to be excellent. Problem with the reviews of that game is a lot of reviewers didn't understand it. Jeremy parish loves it. It's pretty much a spiritual successor to the saga games but with much less bull****.

Reviews were on about there not being much to the story and not much in terms of mechanics are explained well, if at all. Think there's a demo available now that I think of it, might give it a blast and see how it feels. Although, I just got stuck in to Grandia over the weekend and have about 10hrs played and really enjoying it so will be hard to pull away from that.

@Megaten - just had a look at Alliance Alive there and think you might be right, kind of saying its got a lot of improvements over Legend of Legacy, it's on the Switch too so will keep an eye on that one.

Saga games were never about story, they are about mechanics and getting caught up in interesting mechanics and dealing with weird random elements the game might throw at you. It's meant to be closer to the Gameboy Saga/FF Legends games than the later.... more... esoteric Saga games. Legend of Legacy is a continuation of the Gameboy games and has a lot of the old saga crew on the development team. It's a game more for people that love RPG mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Legend of Legacy good for £9.99 played it briefly was curious by the frog character.

Alliance Alive unfortunately got traded before I tried it so can't give a comparison.

• Advertisement

I think even if you don't like it it's a bargain at that price. Late console lifecycle JRPG. Will probably sell for a lot more.

Advertisement