Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/01/multiple_kingdom_hearts_games_now_in_development_one_coming_surprisingly_soon

It took me an entire summer to try to catch up on the Kingdom Hearts series with the HD Collections but now its looking like multiple more titles are in development according to Tetsuya Nomura.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never wanted this!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I never wanted this!!!!

Lol!!! Well you're getting them whether you like it or not 🤣

Anyone played Tokyo mirage yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Lol!!! Well you're getting them whether you like it or not 🤣

Anyone played Tokyo mirage yet ?

No, plan on playing it soon-ish but I want to get Labyrinth of Refrain first since I might actually beat a DRPG for the first time ever. I need to decide if I'm going to bother trying to access the post game first which requires beating six optional super bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally finished DQXI on the Switch with about 53 hours on the clock. Really enjoyed it, there were some great story moments and characters but the final battle and boss felt pretty underwhelming in terms of sign-posting that this was the end and explaining any kind of motivation behind Mordegon other than 'he's the bad guy'.

Not sure I'm going to be too bothered with the post game. Started it an it looks like it's going to be a
    time-travel story to bring Veronica back to life. Thought her death and sacrifice was really well done so I don't get why they'd want to undo that to be honest.

Anyone played the post game stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah, the post game is for thos who want to keep going for the challenge, its a lot harder to finish, but worth it if yer still itching to play it. Typical JRPG end game content..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally finished DQXI on the Switch with about 53 hours on the clock. Really enjoyed it, there were some great story moments and characters but the final battle and boss felt pretty underwhelming in terms of sign-posting that this was the end and explaining any kind of motivation behind Mordegon other than 'he's the bad guy'.

Not sure I'm going to be too bothered with the post game. Started it an it looks like it's going to be a
    time-travel story to bring Veronica back to life. Thought her death and sacrifice was really well done so I don't get why they'd want to undo that to be honest.

I've heard from lots of other people that just like every other Dragon Quest the post game is the real Dragon Quest game. There's tonnes more content and it's a lot more fun as it's a little bit more challenging. Also it adds loads to the story and makes it way better. So pretty much you're missing out not doing the post game. It will also explain the underwhelming part of the story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are Langrisser I & II similar to fire emblem?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Let's call that chapter 3.

It's nowhere near as good as chapter two.

Alot of the stuff isn't properly storied/scripted/voiced. It's alotnof the same bosses reskinned for the most part. Still loads of.new.weapons and other stuff to get though.

I really wanted to platinum it so I did it all but chapter three is a fair bit more work without the same narrative payoff/incentive.

Yeah but way darker in tone than modern fire emblem. More along the lines of Fire Emblem Genealogy of War or Tactics Ogre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Every evening I go home thinking I'll turn on Grandia for quick game and 2 hours later I'm still playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

To my mind you are only half way through as it is literally only half the story!! There is a TONNE of stuff left in the game still to do as well as get to the backstories of most of the characters in the game. Hell, there are characters and plot points you haven't seen yet!!

Keep going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It's closer to a mix of Shining Force, Dragon Force and Advance Wars, the battles are much MUCH bigger than the battles in Fire Emblem, by late game you're moving 100+ units a turn. Your party is made up of main characters and a group of generic troops each of them command. Every few levels you can promote your characters to a new class and the class tree is huge. The types of troops they can command depend on the path along the tree so you could end up as the same final class as someone else but with a totally different set of troops

Sieghardt wrote: »
    It's closer to a mix of Shining Force, Dragon Force and Advance Wars, the battles are much MUCH bigger than the battles in Fire Emblem, by late game you're moving 100+ units a turn. Your party is made up of main characters and a group of generic troops each of them command. Every few levels you can promote your characters to a new class and the class tree is huge. The types of troops they can command depend on the path along the tree so you could end up as the same final class as someone else but with a totally different set of troops
    Yeah but way darker in tone than modern fire emblem. More along the lines of Fire Emblem Genealogy of War or Tactics Ogre.

Are they worth playing?

Yeah. Absolute classics.

Yeah. Absolute classics.

Is it one of those old school hardcore grindy games though ? Since playing wargroove, super robot wars games and more recently fire emblem three houses, I've grown fond of the auld turn based tactics games :o.

Is it one of those old school hardcore grindy games though ? Since playing wargroove, super robot wars games and more recently fire emblem three houses, I've grown fond of the auld turn based tactics games :o.

Nope, it's nicely balanced.

Give Tactics Ogre a go.

Are they worth playing?

I consider Langrisser 2 one of the absolute greatest SRPGs of all time, amazing soundtrack, really nice character design, good story and characters and a good variety in the battles.
    Is it one of those old school hardcore grindy games though ? Since playing wargroove, super robot wars games and more recently fire emblem three houses, I've grown fond of the auld turn based tactics games .

In the original versions you literally couldnt grind, which actually made them quite difficult, you had one shot at each mission and you had to be sure and kill everything you could each time. The remakes are a little easier because they allow you to redo battles to grind but it's absolutely designed with no grinding in mind

RPGamer awards out:

https://rpgamer.com/2020/01/2019-awards/

Kind of agree with all of it other than Kingdom Hearts 3 as best battle system??? what?

Need to check out Fell Seal it seems. That went under the radar.

Just had a thought. You should check out Vestaria Saga. It's made by the original fire emblem creator. It's pretty much old school fire emblem. Same battle system but with the dark political story. Looks like a SNES game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I went to replay Etrian Odyssey 3 and something went wrong when I loaded up the game (I have what I believe to be is a genuine ds cart). Now I have to start all over again.

Anyone played the snack world games before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I saw Utawarerumono on sale loads of times but wasn't sure on it.

Rune Factory coming out soon as well isn't it the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So I beat the main, main boss in Dragon Quest VIII last night (Act 2 as it were) and I am now presented with the post-game Dragovian Trials. Is it worth carrying on? Is there more story? Or is it a pure grind to the finish line?

Doodah7 wrote: »
    So I beat the main, main boss in Dragon Quest VIII last night (Act 2 as it were) and I am now presented with the post-game Dragovian Trials. Is it worth carrying on? Is there more story? Or is it a pure grind to the finish line?

Most Dragon Quest games don't actually really begin until the post game content where you get more story and the combat system really starts to shine....

I say most because DQ8 isn't really one of them.

I recently finished DQ8 and the Dragovian trials myself. I actually had a lot of fun with it and grinding isn't that bad considering you can hunt metal king slimes quite easily. Also in the 3DS version Red and Morrie are really good, Morrie in particular is an absolute beast. The battles are good fun and a challenge.

However the story it adds is just about the main character's origin and it's hardly essential.

I had fun with it but you aren't missing much not playing it.

Finished Grandia, lovely little game for the most part, cheers for the recommendation folks. Battle system is great and although the story isn't up to much I found it a great little game to chill out to. Felt it dragged a bit towards the end and a lot of recycled bosses but other than that a great game. Will give it a break for a while and try Grandia 2 in a bit. Might go back to Dragon Quest for my JRPG JRPG needs next.

I loved the story. Sure it's nothing mind blowing but felt it carried that sense of adventure like a great Saturday morning serialized cartoon. The ending with Sue brought a big dopey grin to my face.

Grandia 2 is a lot of fun but don't think it's as good as the first. The story moves away from the care free style of the first game and is more in line with the darker tone of JRPGs of that era and as a result doesn't quite nail the charm of the first game.

I loved the story. Sure it's nothing mind blowing but felt it carried that sense of adventure like a great Saturday morning serialized cartoon. The ending with Sue brought a big dopey grin to my face.

Grandia 2 is a lot of fun but don't think it's as good as the first. The story moves away from the care free style of the first game and is more in line with the darker tone of JRPGs of that era and as a result doesn't quite nail the charm of the first game.

Yeah the carefree adventure vibe of it all definitely kept me coming back. It was just good times adventuring through forests and mountains and lashing the heads of monsters with a thoroughly enjoyable battle system.

• Advertisement

Reminded me of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. Lots of Ghibli influence.

I keep saying it but it's a better Studio Ghibli game than Ni No Kuni could ever wish to be.

Advertisement