Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished Persona 3: The Answer.... and not sure why I did. Didn't add anything to the game and the battle system got exhausting in the final stages where enemies got more annoying than tough. It needed the social sequences to break things up. The plot also added nothing to the series with all the characters ending up back where they were at the end of P3.

I started SMT Digital Devil Saga. Seems really good. It fells very like Nocturne since it's the same team and engine. Interesting premise and battle system. Anyone else played it?

• The greatest JRPG of all time (FF7) has had a demo released for the remake

Just a reminder :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The greatest JRPG of all time (FF7) has had a demo released for the remake

Just a reminder :)

I prepared for disappointment. Just like the disappointment I felt when I realised it's far from the best jrpg ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Raging, I won't have access to my PS4 for at least another two weeks.

I have my PS4 but have to set it up and install the inevitable updates. Having a social life also sucks.

From the videos it seems they have the dumbness of the original down. Even if it's a bit more modern anime than the original it's still got a weird charm. I'm interested in seeing if the gameplay is fun or is it just kingdom hearts button mashing blandness.

• Advertisement

I don't have major expectations but I'm interested how they've interpreted very 90's designs into high definition environments. You wouldn't get a game looking like this if it was designed from scratch today.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I prepared for disappointment. Just like the disappointment I felt when I realised it's far from the best jrpg ever.

Am I allowed to slip in an Ace Combat 7 joke somewhere here?

Am I allowed to slip in an Ace Combat 7 joke somewhere here?

Only if you want to trigger me twice in one hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is it true that's not the full final fantasy VII being released next month only a portion of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is it true that's not the full final fantasy VII being released next month only a portion of it?

Yes and it's still not known how many parts will be released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Yes and it's still not known how many parts will be released.

Any idea where it ends Xenji? like does it end in the same place disc one ends in the original game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Any idea where it ends Xenji? like does it end in the same place disc one ends in the original game?

I think this one is only supposed to cover Midgar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think this one is only supposed to cover Midgar.

Really? so no
    Kalm flashback
    then I'm guessing, that's a pity, that was one of favorite moments from the game.

You'll have something to look forward to when the second part releases on the PlayStation 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Really? so no
    Kalm flashback
    then I'm guessing, that's a pity, that was one of favorite moments from the game.

Yup and by the trailer ive seen, looks like they are gonna be shoving sephiroth down your neck from the get go, no mystery surrounding him at all.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Nice few Atlus games on sale for 3DS on the eshop at the moment. SMT IV Apocalypse, Strange journey redux and Radiant Historia down to 5.99 for anyone who's recently picked up a 3DS late in the day like myself.

Etrian Odyssey Nexus and Beyond the Myth on sale too.

Anyone here played 7th Dragon III, looks interesting but never heard of it.

Havent played SMT IV, is it recommended to play IV before Apocalypse?

I'll voucher for smt4 being fantastic. Not played apocalypse. They can be played standalone but you'll miss out a bit as it takes place during the events of 4

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll voucher for smt4 being fantastic. Not played apocalypse. They can be played standalone but you'll miss out a bit as it takes place during the events of 4

Yeah it's a pity SMT IV wasnt included in the sale I could have tackled them in sequence. Definitely gonna pick up Apocalypse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

skerry wrote: »
    Nice few Atlus games on sale for 3DS on the eshop at the moment. SMT IV Apocalypse, Strange journey redux and Radiant Historia down to 5.99 for anyone who's recently picked up a 3DS late in the day like myself.

Etrian Odyssey Nexus and Beyond the Myth on sale too.

Havent played SMT IV, is it recommended to play IV before Apocalypse?
    I'll have to pick up Radiant Historia, it's very dear physical isn't it?
    Regular SMT came out first so don't think there's any problem playing it first, I played it before Final came out do I hadn't s choice. I think it's much of the same game. Only played IV and not Final yet but IV is brilliant.

Never heard if Beyond the Myth is it good?

I'll have to pick up Radiant Historia, it's very dear physical isn't it?
    Regular SMT came out first so don't think there's any problem playing it first, I played it before Final came out do I hadn't s choice. I think it's much of the same game. Only played IV and not Final yet but IV is brilliant.

Never heard if Beyond the Myth is it good?

Physical copies of Radiant Historia go for silly money. Havent played Beyond the Myth. I've tried a few Etrian Odyssey demos briefly and still not sure about them. I think Retr0gamer is an EO fan, he might have more advice on those.

• Advertisement

I've only played one and two but you can't really go wrong with the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-producer-says-it-would-be-a-waste-not-to-use-parasite-eves-characters

I still haven't got around to Parasite Eve sadly
    Physical copies of Radiant Historia go for silly money. Havent played Beyond the Myth. I've tried a few Etrian Odyssey demos briefly and still not sure about them. I think Retr0gamer is an EO fan, he might have more advice on those.

Definitely get RH, if I remember to turn on my 3ds.
    Oh it's an EO game, I thought Beyond the Myth was the game itself, sorry I took that in completely wrong.

Massive fan translation news today and a biggie for Trails fans.

Zero no Kiseki has a fan translation from geofront released/on the verge of release for PC.

It's the first in the Crossbell series which bridges Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel.

This leaves only Ao no Kiseki untranslated, the second in the crossbell series. Hopefully that's geofront's next project.

Edit: Apparently there's a buggy but pretty complete fan translation of Ao no Kiseki on PSP and PC.

There's a possibility these games might get an official release as both are getting a PS4 release in Japan for the Cold Steel 4 release.

The team even recreated the original trailer in English:

https://www.siliconera.com/the-legend-of-heroes-zero-no-kiseki-is-getting-an-english-fan-translation-mod-on-march-14-2020/

https://youtu.be/CQWEc9rPhR0

Tempted to jump right in but I might wait and see if the PS4 ports get announced for the west.

I've heard Zero and Ao are absolutely fantastic as well and a high point in an already amazing series.

Where can you buy it for pc ?

:EDIT:

Found a guide on how to purchase the Japanese version

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/7jee3m/how_to_legally_buy_zero_no_kiseki_trails_to_zero/

Details on how to buy a copy here:

https://geofront.esterior.net/2020/03/09/the-release-date-of-trails-from-zero/

Saw another post on how to buy it digitally as well but can't find it.

Just a case of applying the geofront patch then.

Edit: This maybe?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/7jee3m/how_to_legally_buy_zero_no_kiseki_trails_to_zero/

After downloading and trying a couple of the Etrian Odyssey demos and not really getting on with them I went ahead and bought Beyond the Myth in last weeks sale for 6 euro regardless. Have played a few hours of it the last few days now and have to say I'm really enjoying it.

I think I just needed to get my head around what the series was about, which is not a whole lot story wise, just some very enjoyable dungeon crawling with a surprisingly satisfying map making element attached which suits the 2DS perfectly. Really enjoying completing maps and getting a bit OCD about filling them out perfectly.

Think the last time I played the demo I got wiped by a bunch of acorns which made me question myself as a gamer. Have a decent team now and not hit any major difficulty walls yet. Have a Pugilist named Punchy who gets the job done and team seems to be doing quite well so far. Looks like there's loads of scope for team tweaking but I'm not gonna worry about getting stuck into that until I hit a wall or level up a bit more.

Think the last time I played the demo I got wiped by a bunch of acorns which made me question myself as a gamer..

Acorns? really? Jesus......

:pac:

• Advertisement

Acorns? really? Jesus......

:pac:

Not just any acorns dude, rabid acorns :)

Advertisement