Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Playing through Trails in the Sky at the moment, and it's grand so far. Not sure it'll keep me interested for that much longer unless the story picks up though. Bit too...i dunno, unexciting? so far.

Any recommendations for a game (jrpg obviously) with a good story on the PC? Need something to keep me busy over the next few few weeks.

Dragon Quest XI maybe? Or one of the Tales games (played a bit of Vesperia, but it didn't really grab me)? If not, i might try finish Xenblade Chronicles again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

skerry wrote: »
    Not just any acorns dude, rabid acorns :)

Hand in your gamer card at once!

:pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Playing through Trails in the Sky at the moment, and it's grand so far. Not sure it'll keep me interested for that much longer unless the story picks up though. Bit too...i dunno, unexciting? so far.

Any recommendations for a game (jrpg obviously) with a good story on the PC? Need something to keep me busy over the next few few weeks.

Dragon Quest XI maybe? Or one of the Tales games (played a bit of Vesperia, but it didn't really grab me)? If not, i might try finish Xenblade Chronicles again.

Dragon Quest XI is a must but I would also recommend Ys VIII, I had a lot fun with and I'm playing through it again atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The first trails in the sky is very slice of life-ish. It tone a quality level is pretty consistent from begging to end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trails actually has a great story it's just it takes a long time to tell it. The game really pays off in the final chapter when all the story threads come together at the end and has a real but punch of an ending. It just it can be a bit of a struggle to get there. I enjoyed the experience ultimately. It's a game you have to take your time with and it isn't for everyone admittedly

As for jrpg recommendations there's dragon quest 11 although if you can play it on switch then play that version.

There's also grandia, valkyria Chronicles, resonance of fate.

Don't bother with tales. They aren't great and are all the same so if vesperia didn't grab you then none of them will

I'd also recommend the Dusk trilogy of atelier games starting with atelier Ayesha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

skerry wrote: »
    After downloading and trying a couple of the Etrian Odyssey demos and not really getting on with them I went ahead and bought Beyond the Myth in last weeks sale for 6 euro regardless. Have played a few hours of it the last few days now and have to say I'm really enjoying it.

I think I just needed to get my head around what the series was about, which is not a whole lot story wise, just some very enjoyable dungeon crawling with a surprisingly satisfying map making element attached which suits the 2DS perfectly. Really enjoying completing maps and getting a bit OCD about filling them out perfectly.

Think the last time I played the demo I got wiped by a bunch of acorns which made me question myself as a gamer. Have a decent team now and not hit any major difficulty walls yet. Have a Pugilist named Punchy who gets the job done and team seems to be doing quite well so far. Looks like there's loads of scope for team tweaking but I'm not gonna worry about getting stuck into that until I hit a wall or level up a bit more.

I adore the series. The main gameplay loop for dungeon diving and bailing when you exhaust your resources is so addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

And when you get the memory conch, don't sell it, equip it so that anyone in your guild but not in your party also level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Updated my backloggery and found a copy of FE Fates Conquest I don't even remember buying

So I abandoned digital devil saga.

Not because it's bad but the PS3 emulation is so bad. The game runs are about 40 fps and the game is so sluggish. Also the sound is all out of synch which is distracting in game but ridiculous in cutscenes when the sound can end up 15 second out of synch with the end of the video. Going to have to put it on my PS2 and play it that way.

So instead I've started the snes remake of the very first megaten game, megami tensei. It's a fun dungeon crawler that gets tough quickly but seemsanageable since it has a dragon quest death system. Killed the first boss after a hard days grind. Game is set only in a first person dungeon. No world map.

The nes original had incredible music enhanced by a special chip but the snes renditions are really good and all arranged by Hiroshi sakimoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/persona-5-royal

Persona 5 Royal Reviews are out with a current rating at 96

Loved the vanilla version but this version looks like its turning an already amazing game to one of the best games of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Loved the vanilla version but this version looks like its turning an already amazing game to one of the best games of all time
    I'd say the original is already one of the best JRPG's ever and one of the best games of this generation.

That said it did have its pacing issues and this seems to address them which is great. I'm not sure I want to pay full price for the same game again with extra content but I'll definitely get it at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just couldn't imagine slogging through it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I dont think id have it in me to go through it all again, i loved the game but it did turn into a slog to finish. Maybe ill give it a whirl in 5-10 years when memory fades.

I loved everything about it really, but it did have massive pacing issues, which a find a common occurrence with JRPG's and anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

noodler wrote: »
    I just couldn't imagine slogging through it again.

It is an absolute monster of a game and supposedly this adds another 30-40 hours on to it. The first 20-30 hours are incredibly slow, that's the main problem.

I will at some point but yeah, it's a game that takes serious commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Working from home and hopefully having Royal if my collectors edition does not have any logistical hiccups is really going to test my resolve!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    Working from home and hopefully having Royal if my collectors edition does not have any logistical hiccups is really going to test my resolve!

If ordered from Amazon it won't be shipped, they've suspended accepting warehouse deliveries of non essential items.

If ordered from Amazon it won't be shipped, they've suspended accepting warehouse deliveries of non essential items.

Yeah that is what I was thinking but my deluxe edition of Berserk that I pre-ordered shipped today, so I am hoping that the stock may be there already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When did that come into effect?

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah that is what I was thinking but my deluxe edition of Berserk that I pre-ordered shipped today, so I am hoping that the stock may be there already.

The manga/Anime is it ?

The manga/Anime is it ?

Yeah they are over sized faux leather bound collections of the manga, only 4 of them are out so far and another 9 at least to come.

When did that come into effect?

Today. Not unusual for stock to be in the warehouse a week or 2 before release, hopefully the stock is already there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

If something says 'Dispatched from and sold by Amazon', and it says in stock, I might get it? Only I ordered something yesterday from amazon, before I saw the announcement.

JRPG talk: Do I need to play Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga before Bowser's Inside Story? Because I have Superstar Saga on my Wii U and someone is borrowing it right now, and I'd like to play one or the other.

Today. Not unusual for stock to be in the warehouse a week or 2 before release, hopefully the stock is already there.

Did it say on the site? I can't see it at all.

Did it say on the site? I can't see it at all.

Nothing on the site, but has been reported in the news.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    JRPG talk: Do I need to play Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga before Bowser's Inside Story? Because I have Superstar Saga on my Wii U and someone is borrowing it right now, and I'd like to play one or the other.

Nope, all stand alone games. You'll be grand.

I ended up in the weird part of the internet last night

That first comment in the comments section though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Persona royal coming out with ridiculous reviews.

Never played any of the persona games, including vanilla 5. Now that I'm on lockdown, considering giving it a bash, do I need to have played any of the others?

RedXIV wrote: »

Never played any of the persona games, including vanilla 5. Now that I'm on lockdown, considering giving it a bash, do I need to have played any of the others?

No, like FF the stories in each game are separate from eachother.

RedXIV wrote: »

If you have a vita 4 is worth a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

4 is great characters are very engaging, Persona 3 is also a very fun game you'll lose countless hours playing it without seeing the time go by.

• Advertisement

So I'm enjoying the SNES remake of Megami Tensei way more than I thought I would. It's a really fun dungeon crawler and after beating the first two bosses the difficulty seems to be judged just right. Was fun to realise that SMT4 called back to this game with it's first two infamous bosses being the same two in Megami Tensei.

Anyway the game has completely opened up after the second boss. The area I cleared out is a massive dungeon in an airship which I can now play to a mid point through the game and the final dungeon. Final Dungeon is way out of my league but I can scrap through the other area while getting massive exp gains (a level or two) from just one fight so think I'll grind a bit there before moving one.

Advertisement