Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing through royal atm, when I played persona 3 years ago it didn't click with me but I'm loving it this time around, just defeated the first boss and its taken me 15hrs just to do the first dungeon!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just spotted Trials of Mana demo on steam. Anybody tried it yet?

It is great and very true to the original, they have totally overhauled the combat system and fleshed out the story and interactions between your selected characters.

S-E seem to have put a lot more effort into this than the horrible Secret Of Mana remake.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is great and very true to the original, they have totally overhauled the combat system and fleshed out the story and interactions between your selected characters.

S-E seem to have put a lot more effort into this than the horrible Secret Of Mana remake.

Played it for an hour today. It's great. I have a massive soft spot for snes era rpg's though so I think I'm giving it far more of a chance than most jrpg's. Haven't been this excited/impressed by a jrpg in a long time. I played Secret of Mana to death back in the day and only played the original of this on emulator but never finished it. Showing you exactly where you need to go is handy enough as I'm not into sandbox games anymore. Haven't the patience for non-linear games.

Trials of Mana remake out Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Trials of Mana remake out Friday

Voice acting in the demo is horrendous. Gawd awful American accents...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting great reviews despite the voice acting bring brought up a lot.

Going to be sticking with the Japanese VAs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji, you played scarlet ambition yet? Keep hearing how amazing it is.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xenji, you played scarlet ambition yet? Keep hearing how amazing it is.

No but it is on my list along with Atelier Ryza once I get FF7 and Trials Of Mana finished, I think the last SaGa game I played was Frontier 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sakura Wars is out Tuesday, worth a look?

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Voice acting in the demo is horrendous. Gawd awful American accents...

Don't pick Charlotte under any circumstances. Here R's are replaced with cutesy W's

Sakura Wars is out Tuesday, worth a look?

I would probably give it a miss, from what I have read it is not a patch on the original games and has a lot of gameplay issues.

Originally the series was about 10% sRPG and 90% visual novel/dating sim, now it looks like it is more of a glorified musou game with VN elements.

Don't pick Charlotte under any circumstances. Here R's are replaced with cutesy W's

Neill Corlett had those in for his famous fan translation of the original and SE used the same for the Mana collection as well, I wonder if he is to blame.

Carlie is actually one of the best characters to have in your team if you want a easy playthrough.

Xenji wrote: »
    Neill Corlett had those in for his famous fan translation of the original and SE used the same for the Mana collection as well, I wonder if he is to blame.

Carlie is actually one of the best characters to have in your team if you want a easy playthrough.

Apparently the game is ridiculously easy as is. Game still hasn't been released on Steam :(

Apparently the game is ridiculously easy as is. Game still hasn't been released on Steam :(

The original was pretty easy up till the later parts of the game where the difficulty really spikes and you have some very tough boss fights.

Black Rabite is still one of the toughest boss fights I have encountered in any game.

RPGamer did a best of the decade series:

https://rpgamer.com/2020/04/rpgamers-rpgs-of-the-decade-introduction/

Worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn aren't rpgs and shouldn't be on any top 10 rpg list imo.

Horizon shouldn't be in it because it's cack.

Kind of ignored it because the first game was one of the worst RPGs I've played but heard the second one is t bad if not spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've had Persona 5 for a couple of years now, but haven't touched it. I was thinking it's time to finally play it, and I happened upon P5 Royal, which is apparently an updated version of P5.

Do I have to play P5R? Can I just play P5 without needing to pay another 60 euro just to play the updated version? Am I missing out otherwise? 60 quid seems like a lot for features I feel I might not miss out on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I've had Persona 5 for a couple of years now, but haven't touched it. I was thinking it's time to finally play it, and I happened upon P5 Royal, which is apparently an updated version of P5.

Do I have to play P5R? Can I just play P5 without needing to pay another 60 euro just to play the updated version? Am I missing out otherwise? 60 quid seems like a lot for features I feel I might not miss out on.

P5R adds quite a bit of new content and due to that is a different game with it's own trophy list. Nothing stopping you from playing the vanilla version, which is still an excellent game in and of itself.

P5R adds quite a bit of new content and due to that is a different game with it's own trophy list. Nothing stopping you from playing the vanilla version, which is still an excellent game in and of itself.

Yeah I'm just gonna dive into the vanilla one. I've never played a Persona game before, despite owning three of them, kinda.... (SMT: Lucifer's Call and Revelations Persona on my PS Classic, as well as P5) so I don't think I'll be missing out on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah I'm just gonna dive into the vanilla one. I've never played a Persona game before, despite owning three of them, kinda.... (SMT: Lucifer's Call and Revelations Persona on my PS Classic, as well as P5) so I don't think I'll be missing out on anything.

If you are like me, after 110 hours dragging on, last thing on your mind will be additional content..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I appreciated the DQXI love on those lists.

I absolutely adored it.

Need something else to sink my teeth into.

Anyone any recs? In the jrpg mold?

Is there a recommended starting point for these "tales"games perhaps?

The recommended starting point for tales games is do t bother. They're all the same. I enjoyed Symphonia and I hears later ones are good but any of the ones I tried are just the same as Symphonia.

Ff7 remake is out. Probably a good one to sink your teeth into.

noodler wrote: »
    If you are like me, after 110 hours dragging on, last thing on your mind will be additional content..

dragging on? is it bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From what I’ve heard Royal is the one to play for sure if you haven’t played the original as it smooths out rough edges, but more of a ‘maybe’ if you have (and I didn’t love the original to the same degree as P3 and P4). Obviously a different call if you want to spend the extra cash given you’ve already got the original, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

dragging on? is it bad?

Not really, but it does outstay it's welcome a little. The summer break is very badly paced with no dungeon and full of events that eat your days without being able to progress social links.

Advertisement