Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just in the starting town and wow the amount of sidequests I picked up, LOL. I'm this clicks with me this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

everythings great in xenoblade bar the plot itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dayjur wrote: »
    everythings great in xenoblade bar the plot itself

Thought it was great myself. Came together nicely in the end and loved the love triangle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Have a £15 discount code for NIS Europe site which can be applied to any of the May Sales games in link below, think it deducts 15 from each game in your basket too. Expires tomorrow and I'm not gonna use it so if anyone is interested in anything on the sale I can PM you the code. Was tempted to try Langrisser 1 and 2 but I've too many games on the go and will pick them up some other time maybe.

https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/may-gold-sales?mc_cid=e0feb19c50&mc_eid=7a98640228

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I had Xenoblade for the Wii but never got into it. Don’t think I got far at all, I remember walking along a cliff top for a bit with monsters around, then getting to a hub area with a bunch of mechanical equipment and engineers and stuff, then getting a bit put off by the dialogue and voice acting and never getting round to come back to it.

In the mood for a JRPG, I checked on the eshop and probably would have just bought if it was about a tenner cheaper, but it seems to be more expensive than a lot of new games, particularly remasters. So instead I’ve been reading reviews to try and decide whether to give it another go, but even the positive reviews seem to me to read like “poor dialogue, cliched story, full of mundane fetch quests, average combat, 9/10”

I get that the setting of the world and the scenery is interesting and that seems to be getting universal praise. But there has to be more to it than that to be getting so highly recommended?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd actually say the story and dialogue are fantastic and it's far from cliche. The world is very unique, it's got a great hard sci fi plot and it's handling of one particular relationship in the game is surprisingly mature.

The combat systems is also exceptional once you figure it out. But the meat of the game is exploring the world. It's where you get the biggest exp gains and where most of the fun is. Like breath of the wild it's a great game to take your time with and just see what you can discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wonder what the chances are of the other two Operation Rainfall games coming over, The Last Story & Pandora's Tower.

I remember picking up The Last Story for €5 in the Great Tesco Sale a few years back and it was the first JRPG I properly got into. Unfortunately my lack of experience with the genre bit me in the ass. I didn't do an ounce of grinding, wasn't really aware of the concept. Just kept moving forward through the story. :rolleyes:

I managed to get to the final boss but just couldn't beat him. I got close once after fighting him for the guts of an hour. A quick google showed me everyone else was 10-20 levels above me! It's a bit funny thinking back!

I felt deflated and gave up. I suppose it was a decent effort to get as far as I did with the minimum amount of ability my party had but the game sits on the shelf mocking me year after year.

I would need to invest in a new Wii controller to play it again so a remaster would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I actually think Pandora's Tower was slightly ahead of its time, sharpen up the combat and completely overhaul the enemy designs along with fixing the awful environment color schemes and camera and there is a great game in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I wonder what the chances are of the other two Operation Rainfall games coming over, The Last Story & Pandora's Tower.

I remember picking up The Last Story for €5 in the Great Tesco Sale a few years back and it was the first JRPG I properly got into. Unfortunately my lack of experience with the genre bit me in the ass. I didn't do an ounce of grinding, wasn't really aware of the concept. Just kept moving forward through the story. :rolleyes:

I managed to get to the final boss but just couldn't beat him. I got close once after fighting him for the guts of an hour. A quick google showed me everyone else was 10-20 levels above me! It's a bit funny thinking back!

I felt deflated and gave up. I suppose it was a decent effort to get as far as I did with the minimum amount of ability my party had but the game sits on the shelf mocking me year after year.

I would need to invest in a new Wii controller to play it again so a remaster would be nice.

Still have both in there original wrappings LOL!

I didn't do any grinding for last story but did do a lot of side quests. Grinding is not needed in modern jrpgs if you don't skip combat and content.

Did find the last boss tough. Beat him first try but it was a real test of skill and quite hairy.

Thought it was a fantastic game. Story was a bit rubbish but loves the combat system and how it was about kiting enemies into aoe spells. Also the sense of place was amazing. More rpgs need to be set in one small but very detailed location. The castle in the game felt like midgar in ff7.

• Advertisement

Still no sign of my Xenoblade Chronicles pre-order from Shopto, sickened.

skerry wrote: »
    Still no sign of my Xenoblade Chronicles pre-order from Shopto, sickened.

Is it coming by Royal Mail or DPD?

Xenji wrote: »
    Is it coming by Royal Mail or DPD?

Royal Mail. Dispatched last Wednseday, was half expecting it for last weekend but be lucky to have it for this weekend at this rate

skerry wrote: »
    Royal Mail. Dispatched last Wednseday, was half expecting it for last weekend but be lucky to have it for this weekend at this rate

Yeah I have had wait of 10-12 days for items to arrive with Royal Mail both using Parcel Motel and regular home delivery and this has been going on for the last two months or so, at one point parcel deliveries were only being made on a Saturday which created a huge backlog.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah I have had wait of 10-12 days for items to arrive with Royal Mail both using Parcel Motel and regular home delivery and this has been going on for the last two months or so, at one point parcel deliveries were only being made on a Saturday which created a huge backlog.

Now that you mention it, I ordered coffee from UK through Parcel Motel a few weeks back and what usually took 3 days took almost 2 weeks. Not overly bothered, have plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime. Just looking forward to getting stuck in as I've never played it and heard nothing but good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I still havent even gotten my Sakura Wars preorder from over a month ago, it's ridiculous at this stage

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I still havent even gotten my Sakura Wars preorder from over a month ago, it's ridiculous at this stage

Doesn't bode well for me getting Xenoblade Chronicles for the weekend so. Checked tracking there and it hasn't budged since initial update on 31st May. At least it was a decent price from Shopto. Bought Slay the Spire yesterday so between that and Iceborne I'll be kept busy in the meantime. Gonna avoid UK/ Royal Mail shipping for the foreseeable though if I can.

Ordered Dragon Quest VII during the week too and just checked there and it says 'your item has been dispatched via Royal Mail 1st Class so your item should be with you very soon' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger?

I've never put more than a few hours into it to be honest. Have the DS cart and the PSOne ROM on an RG350 along with the SNES version. Also wouldn't mind buying it on Steam.

The PS1 version is utter ****e. Avoid like the plague unless you love excessive load times and a butchering of one of videogames all time great soundtracks.

The DS is the best way to play the game on handheld. Lots of love went into that conversion. Of course the SNES version is insanely good but they added some small stuff to the DS game.

Steam release apparently is a hell of a lot better than it was at release and I think is meant to be very good in it's current state.

I think most people would say the DS version is definitive because it's portable and only crops the screen a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger?

I've never put more than a few hours into it to be honest. Have the DS cart and the PSOne ROM on an RG350 along with the SNES version. Also wouldn't mind buying it on Steam.

Iirc they went back and put the og graphics in the steam port, it was originally the smeary crappy mobile version that Square have put out like the earlier FF games.

• Advertisement

Xenoblade Chronicles pre order finally arrived, 9 days after release. Started into Final Fantasy 12 over the weekend so reckon I'll be shelving that and getting tucked into Xenoblade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Apparently a Steam version of P4G is going to be announced at the PC Gaming Show, the files for the game have appeared in the Steam db. There are rumours P3 FES will also be released on Steam.

Disappointed it's not persona 5. But not played 4G yet. I'll take it and hopefully shows sega there's a market for P5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Actually glad to hear it’s apparently 4 rather than 5. Despite the incredible polish and valuable design tweaks in 5, P4 is IMO far and away the peak of the series. The story is the strongest, the characters the most likeable, the setting the most memorable. Give em the best first :)

Also, the P4 soundtrack is god-tier.

I'm a P3 FES fan but loved the crap out of P4. I better find 120 hours of my life on this years calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I might not buy it as I already played P4 and P4G, but I am happy more can get to play it.

It will be nice to give FES a go again after 12 or so years, I remember bringing it back along with Suikoden 3 and Xenosaga Episode 1-3 from New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'd rather a remake of P3 that integrated all the content of the different versions. The only reason I'd play it again would be to go through the FeMC route but I don't play many handheld games at the moment.

I would definitely get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Really wish they’d do a PS4 release for P4G. I don’t have a PC!

Advertisement