Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

About 15 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles now. Enjoying it but socks have not been blown off just yet. I'm presuming plenty more story twists to come yet. Think I prefer the blades system in 2 as you have more control over breaks, topples etc. Finding sometimes I've broke an opponent only for team mate to completely ignore the fact and not topple him. As with XC2, I have an a$$ load of resources picked up but no clue what any of them are for. Must have 100 side quest picked up too which are all pretty similar but you kind of mop them up as you progress so its grand. Might chance the Japanese voice over, not sure how I'm feeling about cockney robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So FF13-2 has really opened up and I'm absolutely loving the game. The story is utter guff but it just works so much better being so open. I'm wandering into areas and running away with my tail between my legs but there's always another area to explore. Every time period has it's own gameplay quirk to make it play different from other areas.

Lightning returns blows the series out of the water, the only one of them I truly enjoyed. If they made the first two like it people would love 13

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lightning returns blows the series out of the water, the only one of them I truly enjoyed. If they made the first two like it people would love 13

Agree and disagree. FF13-3 is the secret best FF game up there with FF Tactics but I think FF13-2 is still a great game, well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Turns out the game I played previously was Xenoblade Chronicles X, didn't realise they were following the Microsoft naming system. Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is all new to me and I'm enjoying it so far. The battle system is still not really to my taste, I've never liked hybrid systems and find it really chaotic trying to run around and select menu options using the stick and dpad with the same left thumb, and trying to position yourself is made more complicated by the often poor camera and the mess on screen when there's multiple enemies.

Despite that I'm enjoying exploring the world and getting to know the characters and I'm engaging in the many sidequests which is keeping me overlevelled to the point that I can make a mess of combat tactics and never get into the correct side or behind position and it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ys IX Monstrum Nox coming in 2021 and Trails of Cold Steel 4 is coming out on October 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Falcom are just the best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is Trails of Cold Steel any good?

Kiith wrote: »
    Is Trails of Cold Steel any good?

I've not played it, still working my way through the earlier games but it's got an amazing reputation. Supposedly they're top tier RPGs and some of the best of this generation.

Just to note they aren't for everyone. They are heavily dialogue and story focused and can be slow going but when the story pays off it really pays off. They've a reputation for being very well written and the music is excellent.

Start with the first Cold Steel as the games have a storyline that you'll have to follow through from the first game (there's an over arching story with the rest of the series but it's not as important, more some nice nods to it).

I've only played Tails in the Sky (an earlier game from the full same universe) and that was a slow burn but enjoyable before I got to the end where 4 seemingly unconnected story threads came together for an epic final chapter and an emotional gut punch of an epilogue. So if you do dive in make sure you've plenty of time and patients to fully enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Haven't played Cold Steel yet, still holding out hope that the crossbell games come out in english so I can play things in order.

megaten wrote: »
    Haven't played Cold Steel yet, still holding out hope that the crossbell games come out in english so I can play things in order.

Haven't they gotten fan translations? I think someone is cleaning up the machine translated originals.

The Crossbell games got a PS4 and I think PC release in japan recently so fingers crossed for a PC release.

• Advertisement

Atlus/Sega Survey up:

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1275533943979139072

Limited to US and UK but just fib about your location.

Remember to tell them to bring everything to PC for uncle retr0.

Played a good bit more of FF13-2. To say that the story is a complete pile of horse manure is under stating things. It's actually funny how bad things are.

Yesterday I get to some futuristic looking place 300 years in the future straight out of tron. Serah and Noel arrive and immediately Serah says there's an AI controlling the place, it's been hacked by someone and that someone isn't there but in a different timeline. How in gods name did she even know all this!

But most importantly I'm still having a blast slowly moving through it and I love how non linear it is.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is down to £9.99 on Amazon. Great price for hardcopy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Heroes-Trails-Cold-Steel/dp/B07KK6D28X/

Edit: Think they might be OOS now at that price

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4) is down to £9.99 on Amazon now. Just nabbed a copy, chuffed with that price. Have first one digital which I still need to finish

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Heroes-Trails-Cold-Steel/dp/B07KMNJXZD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1GJQJ9N3GYRU3&dchild=1&keywords=legend+of+heroes+trails+of+cold+steel&qid=1593176049&sprefix=legend+of+hero%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nice one, missed out on the first game but picked up the second as like yourself I have both digitally.

Xenji wrote: »
    Nice one, missed out on the first game but picked up the second as like yourself I have both digitally.

Nice one, glad you nabbed one this time, I'd say they will be gone quick enough if the deal on the first one from earlier today is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Playing the new Sakura Wars is giving me serious Skies of Arcadia vibes, especially walking around town and examining objects really feels like it. Really hope they have a HD remaster of it up their sleeves at least

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Playing the new Sakura Wars is giving me serious Skies of Arcadia vibes, especially walking around town and examining objects really feels like it. Really hope they have a HD remaster of it up their sleeves at least

I've heard it sold badly in Japan and had some fan backlash so could put the series on ice for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 yesterday and have moved straight on to number 2. It really is a great series: the story is deep and the characters are interesting. I am going to take a diversion to the Trails in the Sky games after this one before coming back to 3 and 4. I also have the fan-translated Crossbell games and may well tackle them at some stage also!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Finished Trails of Cold Steel 1 yesterday and have moved straight on to number 2. It really is a great series: the story is deep and the characters are interesting. I am going to take a diversion to the Trails in the Sky games after this one before coming back to 3 and 4. I also have the fan-translated Crossbell games and may well tackle them at some stage also!

Hope you've loads of free time!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hope you've loads of free time!

Ha!! Fortunately I have the first two Cold Steel games and the first two Trails in the Sky games on PS Vita so I'm able to game on the go. Cold Steel 3 and 4 are coming out on Switch so I can continue to do so. The other three are PC only which will be a complete pain after being able to play anywhere!

Playing ff13-2 and today I jumped on the back of a red chocobo.

Now ff13-2 is the greatest RPG ever made.

Why?

This will explain everything:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just started Trails of Cold Steel 1 myself on the Vita. Played through the prologue and I already tell it's going to grab me but Jesus the run animation on Rean is really distracting.

Playing the first Trails of Cold Steel at the moment, and actually really enjoying it. It's caught me more then Trails of the Sky did, and i only got 10 hours or so into that before dropping it (at least for now). That was just too much of a slow burner to keep me going.

Persona 4 will come after this i'd say, or i might go straight into the 2nd Cold Steel.

Trails in the Sky is a real slow burner and it doesn't help that the dungeon design isn't great so combat can be a slog. Also commits the biggest JRPG sin.... the towns are too big. Always find big confusing towns slow the game down as you run everywhere trying to chat to everyone. you need a bit of dedication to get through it but god damn that final chapter and ending were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

About 18 hours into Trails of Cold Steel now and just starting chapter 3 and it's really grabbed me now. Really like the way the story takes it's time in unfolding and properly introducing you to characters and the battle system is a lot of fun - lots of big fights where I feel like I really have to think about team make-up and positioning.

Yeah, i've really enjoyed it. On the final chapter now, so will probably jump straight into the 2nd once i'm done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i've really enjoyed it. On the final chapter now, so will probably jump straight into the 2nd once i'm done.

Two more games and a forth in October/November to keep you busy ;)

Two more games and a forth in October/November to keep you busy ;)

Plus the three Trails in the Sky games and the two Crossbell Arc games that should really be played before Cold Steel III!!

I got the Cold Steel III the other day for Switch but it is likely to be several months before I get to play it. I was afraid of it selling out as I'm not sure many games shops stock it and even the ones that do, probably not in large volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Doodah7 wrote: »
    the two Crossbell Arc games that should really be played before Cold Steel III!!

But they never came west did they?

Advertisement