Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just about finished Cold Steel 1 there, which i've really enjoyed.

Is there much from Trails in the Sky that comes up in later Cold Steel games? I know they mention certain characters and events, but i also I noticed a certain someone on the cover of the 4th game Cold Steel game, which makes me think i should power through to the more interesting parts of Sky (currently about 25% though before i gave up).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

But they never came west did they?

There are fan translations of the games available for PC. Zero was completed earlier this year and the same team (Geofront) are working on Azure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone played Exist Archive? Was streaming a few games before my PS Now goes and its not bad, very anime ofc, my stream cut out so didn't get too far so playing more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Christ this is an old thread. Fan of JRPGs. Just ordered Persona 5 for cheap. looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I remember Exist Archive's reception being very ho-hum when it came out but I never got around to playing it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    I remember Exist Archive's reception being very ho-hum when it came out but I never got around to playing it myself.

I heard it's really good, one of Tri-Aces best. Wouldn't say the reception was poor, more that the press choose to completely ignore it as they only cover big name games.

One thing I do know about it, that soundtrack is little chef's kiss good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played Exist Archive? Was streaming a few games before my PS Now goes and its not bad, very anime ofc, my stream cut out so didn't get too far so playing more tomorrow.

I have a sealed copy for the vita waiting to be played.

I have a sealed copy for the vita waiting to be played.
    I'm playing on PS4 but honestly I think Vita would be better, on a smaller screen would look a bit neater.
    The dub is very cringe, funny for a stream but probably better on Japanese voices.
    It reminds me of like you know the start of an anime where they drop so much information not explained til later?
    A few different of mechanics in it, there's some that effects your new game plus as well.
    I think I'd give it a go properly on Vita if I found it cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Well this is suitably mental...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGb0mO4z7Y

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've picked Dragon Quest VIII back up and made some progress. Goddamn I love Yangus's voice acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Exist Archive is terrible, one of Tri Ace's worst games, I think I only dislike SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery more.

I did actually think it was good for the first few hours too but as it went on it just got worse and worse, a lot of it felt like it was designed to be a mobile game and they just repurposed it as a console game, it just devolves into grinding copy/paste maps forever

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Exist Archive is terrible, one of Tri Ace's worst games, I think I only dislike SO4 and Infinite Undiscovery more.

I did actually think it was good for the first few hours too but as it went on it just got worse and worse, a lot of it felt like it was designed to be a mobile game and they just repurposed it as a console game, it just devolves into grinding copy/paste maps forever

No way! Good to know, I got PS Now for my birthday so cost nothing. I was really liking it but only played 2 hours I guess?

I played Omega Quintet for a bit too, thought it was okay but there was a fan service thing and the main character changed and was out.

Just wanted to try out stuff without looking up much.
    I really liked Malicious Fallen and didn't think I would but not an RPG

I was not expecting these today, just talking about SMTV on Saturday

Shin Megami Tensei V Announced For Simultaneous Worldwide Release in 2021 - https://personacentral.com/smtv-2021-release-date/

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster will also be released for the PlayStation 4 in addition to the Nintendo Switch. - https://personacentral.com/smt-iii-nocturne-hd-remaster-switch-ps4/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Time to avenge my 14 year old self and finally beat matador.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Agility buffs and debuffs make him a chump.

6c0.png?w=800

pacdb630s7yz.jpg

Atelier Ryza 2 has been announced to be releasing this winter.

Reminds me I need to beat the first game!

Really was enjoying what I played and with Ryza being a very popular protagonist and the best selling Atelier game so far think it makes sense to make a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Trailer from the Nintendo Direct. Eng website going live on the 29th, maybe a release date announced then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would not be surprised to see SMT: V also getting a PC release at some point after the stellar job Atlus did with Persona.

It's an unreal engine game as well and don't think anything has been said about exclusivity.

.... Would really like to see SMT3 though as well, and the rest of the PS2 SMT games.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 in particular. The european releases are 50 Hz garbage. And I played the US versions on PSN but they are awful with really slowed down gameplay and graphics don't look right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

13 Sentinels is now being released on the 22nd of September.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atelier Ryza 2 has been announced to be releasing this winter.

Reminds me I need to beat the first game!

Really was enjoying what I played and with Ryza being a very popular protagonist and the best selling Atelier game so far think it makes sense to make a sequel

Just noticed Ryza is on sale now for €35 in the PS4 summer sale, P5 Royal down to €45 also. Defo picking them up after pay day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Dragon Quest XI S is being added to Xbox Game Pass on December 4th on the One.

S is also being released on the PS4 and Steam.

9 S???

As in the updated switch version? Might mean a roll out across other consoles.

9 S???

Yes, also confirmed for Steam and PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

9 S???

The one with orchestrated music and the old school 2D mode....yup.

For **** sake.

Hope there's an upgrade option for the PC version like with World of FF.

Otherwise I'll end up buying it again on steam and I'll own 3 copies of the game :pac::D:D:D.... :(

For **** sake.

Hope there's an upgrade option for the PC version like with World of FF.

Otherwise I'll end up buying it again on steam and I'll own 3 copies of the game :pac::D:D:D.... :(

Not sure. Out on December 4th on Xbox, Windows 10, Steam and PS4.

dragon-quest-xi-s-ps4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Switch version is the best game I played last year, the fact that it's on Game Pass means I'll almost certainly give it a second run through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Switch version is great, but would be nice to see those lush visuals in HD without being assaulted with terrible music.

Advertisement