Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

noodler wrote: »

It's a little more Persona style social interaction so far than I was hoping for (definitely want more geo-political machinations).

I think you really have to wait for the second for that. There's lots of scenes setting and world building here and you can definitely see that they're putting the pieces in place to tell that huge epic story.

It starts getting there towards the end and everything is in place by then for that kind of story-telling, which by all accounts, is what the next couple of games are all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Think I'm done with Xenoblade Chronicles. Steam rolled my way to the next big boss fight and I'm 2 levels above the boss and no way can I beat him/ her. There's probably some mechanic I'm missing or some party setup or something else of the 1000 systems going on that Im not using but I think I've lost interest at this point. Enjoying the story but the annoying boss thing seems to be a trend

So after my rage inducing efforts to beat the boss last night
    it was Solidum Telethia and Tyrea
    , I managed to beat the backstards this morning. Fight forces you into changing up your party for sure. The game kept pushing me to use casual mode but I resisted.

On to Chapter 9 now but no idea how much is left in the game. Not sure if we need some time apart or I should just plough on to the next frustrating boss. Maybe I need some better gems or something cos I'm a couple levels above where I need to be but still having difficulty with bosses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're kind of at the halfway point. Loads to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the post game of FF13-2 is a grindy mess. Thinking of stopping the grind and plowing ahead to see how far I can get before I need to grind again. Game is taking waaaaaay longer than the HLTB estimate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So finally finished Rorona Bullying Simulator DX (aka Atelier Rorona), thought the ending was a bit...flat. Then looked up and realised the sheer spreadsheet-ness needed to get all the character events and endings...I dont think I have the patience to run through the game again!

More inclined to pick up Totori and Meruru and just use what I learned to not fail as much in them.

Totori is fantastic. Just loved her character progression although I didn't finish the game on my first play through. At least the new game plus was a breeze since you keep your equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So finally finished Rorona Bullying Simulator DX (aka Atelier Rorona), thought the ending was a bit...flat. Then looked up and realised the sheer spreadsheet-ness needed to get all the character events and endings...I dont think I have the patience to run through the game again!

More inclined to pick up Totori and Meruru and just use what I learned to not fail as much in them.

You're pretty much supposed to run through them all more than once, new game+ makes it all a lot easier so you have a lot more time to get things done. The True end is a lot more of an ending than any of the minor endings.

That said you could move on to Totori and maybe stick with that instead, the true ending in that is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Maybe will give the NG+ a spin while waiting on a sale for the other Arland games.

Is it worth doing the Overtime mode; will it just be more time to craft up items to start the NG+ sprinting? I know theres some new dungeons and bosses I will never beat, are there more items added or such that can carry over to NG+?

I did overtime mode after my initial playthrough. It's actually more for people who have finished the other 3 Arland games. It's a fun little diversion but I was so unprepared that I just stumbled through it and bounced off all the challenges as I was so unprepared. It's a new game plus mode really!

Before you start new game plus go to a previous save and make the best equipment you can. The best basket shoes, gather equipment and weapons. Stuff to help with speed and gathering should come before weapons. Equip them and finish the game. It helps greatly and you'll steamroll the game in no time skipping cutscene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Is Nelki and the Alchemist worth a go on Switch my only time playing Atelier games were the vita ones about 5 years ago I seem to remember them being fun

Is Nelki and the Alchemist worth a go on Switch my only time playing Atelier games were the vita ones about 5 years ago I seem to remember them being fun

It's a city building game and very different from other Atelier games.

Ah well I better do some research thanks for the info I nearly spent €30 on it from CeX

Might go for Ys Origins for €29.99 from Strictly Limited instead

Might go for Ys Origins for €29.99 from Strictly Limited instead

Awesome game. Ys are the best action RPGs you can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Downloaded Ys Seven because of this thread, love it

MadYaker wrote: »
    Downloaded Ys Seven because of this thread, love it

I need to play more Ys games.

Last action RPG I played from falcon was Xanadu Next and once I got used to the slightly dated contorls I just had an absolute blast with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The music is beautiful in parts as well.

It's not falcon without a kick ass soundtrack.

Finally, fianlly beat FF13-2 and the post game and DLC. Really enjoyed it especially the DLC.... except some of the super bosses. It's a much better game than FF13 but unfortunately it's saddled with the awful FF13 world meaning the story is complete **** and you just can't be invested in it. It goes for a chrono trigger thing, especially with the alternative endings but it's hard to care about the serious ones because the whole FF13 world just isn't grounded in reality unlike Chrono Trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think you really have to wait for the second for that. There's lots of scenes setting and world building here and you can definitely see that they're putting the pieces in place to tell that huge epic story.

It starts getting there towards the end and everything is in place by then for that kind of story-telling, which by all accounts, is what the next couple of games are all about.

On chapter 3.

I quite like the game's pacing I must say.

Exam, practical exam, field study etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I decided to hold off playing the 3rd game, as i want to finish it once i have a better idea of when the 4th will be released (on PC). Loved the first two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

So Tales of Berseria is a tenner on PS4. What are peoples opinions on this game? A lot of mixed reviews out there.

rejkin wrote: »
    So Tales of Berseria is a tenner on PS4. What are peoples opinions on this game? A lot of mixed reviews out there.

It's a Tales of game. If you've played one you've played them all.

Honestly you are spoiled for choice with good JRPGs. Much better to choose from. Trails of Cold Steel for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

rejkin wrote: »

One of the better Tales of games, interesting story and characters, combat is a bit easy for veterans of the series but on the other hand that makes it ideal for people new to the series

I'm about six hours into Persona 5 and it's dragging. I think I'd be better off reading a book with the amount of exposition. I'm beginning to think I don't have the patience for RPG's at all any more. Although I did finish Trials of Mana not too long ago. Nostalgia was strong with that one.

I'm about six hours into Persona 5 and it's dragging. I think I'd be better off reading a book with the amount of exposition. I'm beginning to think I don't have the patience for RPG's at all any more. Although I did finish Trials of Mana not too long ago. Nostalgia was strong with that one.

Stick with it. I'm not going to excuse it for how badly paced the beginning is but it gets an awful lot better once it actually lets you play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Haven't had a chance to watch it all, a friend linked me their YT

I've seen her videos pop up on youtube. Mad to see a woman so old into her niche RPGS in such a big way. But have to say, she seems to have good taste.

• Advertisement

Been watching her channel for a bit now. Nice bit of positivity during lockdown. She has a serious collection of JRPGs

Advertisement