Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

skerry wrote: »
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions On Switch is 30 euro on Amazon Spain. Any thoughts on the game folks? Never owened a Wii U so its brand new to me. I know its SMT/ FE kind of crossover but thats about it

I had it for the Wii U and gave up about half way through, it might not of helped that I was also playing SMT 4 Apocalypse at the time but I found it very underwhelming and repetitive, it nearly felt like a knock off game trying to be an Atlus game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Thanks folks, might give it a pass based on that. 30 quid didn't seem bad for hardcopy but Amazon Spain tack on 5 euro postage which takes the shine off.

Also it would involve trying to drag myself away from Yakuza Like a Dragon which isn't happening anytime soon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

There's going to be a new The World Ends With You game! Sorry if its been already mentioned, but I am very excited about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »
    Bit annoyed at having to wait who knows how long for the PC release of the 4th game, as i assume there'll be a big cliffhanger in a few hours.

Yup, there it is. God damn it, may have to buy a PS4/PS5 just to finish it now. Bloody brilliant that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kiith wrote: »
    Yup, there it is. God damn it, may have to buy a PS4/PS5 just to finish it now. Bloody brilliant that was.

Cold Steel 3 and 4 are on Switch as well.

The enhanced versions of 1 and 2 are being ported as well, no confirmation for release outside the SEA region as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not out on Switch till at least the 31st March though, which i s when i assume the PC release will be.

Not sure i fancy waiting that long tbh.

_Godot_ wrote: »
    There's going to be a new The World Ends With You game! Sorry if its been already mentioned, but I am very excited about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saga frontier incoming with gorgeous updated visuals.

https://youtu.be/jYnCp7_fh7M

Most of all they are adding content and the character they had to cut because of development and time issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Will definitely get that for switch was one of those very rare PS1 RPGs I loved to show off owning but never got too far into it. Really hope it doesn't get the awful pirate emulation treatment bFinal Fantasy Crystal Chronicles got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Bravely Default II has another demo on the Nintendo eShop. It’s the first Chapter (after the prologue) and has a time limit of 5 hours. Had a bit of a blast of it earlier and it is... okay. Battles are reasonably strategic but I have a feeling the story is paper thin. The difficulty level from the original demo has been rectified but there still seem to be system pauses when transitioning between sections of the game.

One thing that amused me is that one of the protagonists reminds me of Oliver Reed for some reason!!

Square Enix and Nintendo want €60 for it but I think it is more of a game to pick up on sale. Annoyingly, progress from the demo doesn’t carry forward because they chose not to start the demo from the beginning so anyone buying the game will have to play through the demo part again during their real run-through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is Aliance Alive for Switch a good port I can potentially get a copy for myself this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Ys 8 is on sale for 24 on the switch,seems like a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Saw this earlier

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster Version 1.02 Update Released Today, Includes Fusion Quality of Life Changes - https://personacentral.com/smt-iii-hd-version-1-02-update/

Additional Functions

At the “Cathedral of Shadows””, a “skill shuffle” function and a skill inheritance function have been added when displaying the results of a fusion combination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like the latest skill inheritance system which is a good thing. Was a pain in the arse after playing the later SMT games.

Got the Saga Collection as well. Really looking foward to diving into the Saga games but Dragon Quest 3 is currently being played.

Any thoughts on Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk chaps? Looks like Etrian style dungeon crawler which I have loads of on 2DS but nothing of that style on Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

skerry wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Labyrinth of Refrain Coven of Dusk chaps? Looks like Etrian style dungeon crawler which I have loads of on 2DS but nothing of that style on Switch

Its good. The systems are disgaea level complex but that gives you flexibility to switch up your team quite easily if you hit a wall. In fact its the only DRPG I've actually managed to beat. You can also switch the difficulty level at any time.

megaten wrote: »
    Its good. The systems are disgaea level complex but that gives you flexibility to switch up your team quite easily if you hit a wall. In fact its the only DRPG I've actually managed to beat. You can also switch the difficulty level at any time.

Nice one, picked it up yesterday. Only about an hour played but like it so far. Lot of room for team management alright and a very Disgaea feel to it. The coven thing is a nice twist on team mechanics although I only have 3 puppets In my brigade so far so will see how complex things get once I get a bigger squad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is out February 5th, didn't know that!

A demo for it came out this week as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    A demo for it came out this week as well.

I must try and finish lacrimosa of dana before then

• Advertisement

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is out February 5th, didn't know that!

I'm all for another Falcom ARPG.

So Atelier Ryza 2 has been out a couple of days and seems to be generating a bit of buzz. Getting ignored of course by the big media outlets but the sales have been great and it's getting great reviews.

I've seen a few articles about the game but unfortunately are all focused on Ryza's THICC thighs as being the reason the game is selling and not the fact that it's a great game.

Surprised to see it as the main front page article on Rock Paper Shotgun. Then saw the author was Kat Bailey. Really glad she has landed on her feet after Usgamer and gotten anther gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I've seen a few articles about the game but unfortunately are all focused on Ryza's THICC thighs as being the reason the game is selling and not the fact that it's a great game.

In fairness this has also been Koei Tecmo's approach and exactly why the character artist for this sub-series was chosen.

Well the game is more than just thicc thighs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I’ve had the original DQXI sat on my shelf for over a year so I finally decided to give it a spin.

It’s very cute. Seems like a classic JRPG, nothing groundbreaking but what’s being presented is being presented very skilfully. Only about 12 hours in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Some more Atelier news: the Mysterious trilogy DX trilogy coming to Switch in April

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/1356528209723015168

Handy way to pick them all up, considering they still run close to €60 each on Steam!

Wonder if they port the PS4 versions this time and not scaled down Vita/PS3 ports.

Guess at the very least I'll need to pick up Sophie again.... I really should get around to playing more of these instead of buying them multiple times!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I must try and finish lacrimosa of dana before then

I picked it up during the last Steam Sale. It's brilliant. It's a tricky game to describe without sounding negative about different aspects of the game, but taken as a whole, it's the most fun I've had in any kind of rpg in a while. It's paced well and the combat has enough depth to keep things interesting into late game. It doesn't feel padded by grind or complicated systems and seems to have made player enjoyment a priority.

I'll definitely be checking out 9.

Monstrum Nox looks like it has not deviated much from the formula of LOD, but it has a darker atmosphere and a more sombre story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

YS VIII was one of the most fun JRPG's I've played in years, so needless to say I'll be picking up IX on launch. Can't wait!

Advertisement