Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I picked it up during the last Steam Sale. It's brilliant. It's a tricky game to describe without sounding negative about different aspects of the game, but taken as a whole, it's the most fun I've had in any kind of rpg in a while. It's paced well and the combat has enough depth to keep things interesting into late game. It doesn't feel padded by grind or complicated systems and seems to have made player enjoyment a priority.

I'll definitely be checking out 9.

I loved it as well, don't understand all the hate for it but ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More than halfway through The second cold steel.

Still quite sloggy.

I'm actually scares of getting the third one if it doesn't have a turbo option!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I loved it as well, don't understand all the hate for it but ok.

Interesting, I've never seen hate for VIII? Pretty much everyone I've seen who has played it has loved it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

noodler wrote: »
    I'm actually scares of getting the third one if it doesn't have a turbo option!

It does. It's also the best of the 3 games so far, and i can't wait till the 4th is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I already have it myself but Labyrinth of Refrain is massively reduced on NIS Europe site at the moment not sure on postage costs but both PS4 and Switch versions are £6.66 each

https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/all/products/labyrinth-of-refrain-coven-of-dusk-nintendo-switch-standard-edition

https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/all/products/labyrinth-of-refrain-coven-of-dusk-ps4-standard-edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

I already have it myself but Labyrinth of Refrain is massively reduced on NIS Europe site at the moment not sure on postage costs but both PS4 and Switch versions are £6.66 each

https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/all/products/labyrinth-of-refrain-coven-of-dusk-nintendo-switch-standard-edition

https://store.nisaeurope.com/collections/all/products/labyrinth-of-refrain-coven-of-dusk-ps4-standard-edition

Have it myself, very nice dungeon crawler and great price for hard copy. Checked postage there and its £7.99. Some decent discounts on NIS site from time to time but postage usually scuppers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Wanted to share my Nocturne top, I got it from Fangamer.
    Me and a friend both got the tops, they're mid way through SMTIV
    EtoLve6WQAE_8hG?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

If he could go back to adding belts to everything and stop adding Kingdom Hearts style stupid story to everything that'd be preferable :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wtf is Retro's post about ^^^ Lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wtf is Retro's post about ^^^ Lol

542646.png

542647.png

542645.jpg

Weird ^^^^^ must have been a slow news day.

I see persona 5 striker is getting positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like Bravely Default 2 is ticking all the same boxes that made the original such a chore and a bore. It includes a throwaway story, one dimensional characters, cheap bosses, multiple fetch quests, forced party combinations and a terrible back half of the game that focuses more on grinding and backtracking than anything else to progress.

Xenji wrote: »
    It looks like Bravely Default 2 is ticking all the same boxes that made the original such a chore and a bore. It includes a throwaway story, one dimensional characters, cheap bosses, multiple fetch quests, forced party combinations and a terrible back half of the game that focuses more on grinding and backtracking than anything else to progress.

Square seems to be making all the same mistakes with their retro JRPG throwbacks. Good retro JRPGs aren't a boring grind with cliche stories. They need to recognise this or they'll have a string of failures like Tokyo Games Factory on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Cross pollination on the FF7 remake thread mainly for the second video which was a relatively quiet announcement but the fact they have compilation in there could mean a step towards finally resolving the crisis core/gackt debate? And first western version of before crisis content!

EDIT: Holy crap....FF7 is doing a battle royale mode :D

I had filed bravely default 2 into the I'll get around to it when I get around to it category because of the reviews but now twitter is telling me kat bailey is addicted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Posting since it mentioned Moon and Dandy Dungeon
    Saw TheGayGamer sharing this post

Are you desperate for Onion Games to bring CHULIP and RULE OF ROSE to new consoles?
    Seriously need a physical version of DANDY DUNGEON and moon_rpg?
    LET US KNOW!
    Right pointing backhand index
    https://oniongames.jp/survey

https://twitter.com/oniongames/status/1366223641655017473?s=20

Trails of Cold Steel 4 is coming to PC and Switch on April 9th. Have been impatiently waiting for a date, so at least its not that far away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/lxow1m/trails_of_cold_steel_iv_is_coming_to_pcswitch_on/

Guess i don't need to buy a PS5 now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just finished Zero no Kiseki today. What a great game. Great story (once it gets going but hey it’s Falcom!!) and a really fun last few battles. Six Legend of Heroes games done, three (or four if Hajimari gets translated) to go!

Do both of the Crossbell games have translations now? Would love to play through them before CS4.

• Advertisement

The first does. Second one should be out in the next few weeks. But being a fan translation don't set your clock by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes to both. PC has the superior Geofront translation for Zero already released with Ao no Kiseki due in the next week or so if they are going to stick to their self-imposed deadlines. These versions are pretty definitive and you would be hard-pressed to see an official release improving upon them.

Personally, I played Zero no Kiseki Evolution on the PS Vita with a patched translation which was adequate. Not a perfect translation by any means but certainly more than sufficient to play the game and enjoy it fully. There are a couple of Vita exclusive side quests that were still in Japanese.

As for Ao, I have the PSP version with English baked in and which reads very well so far and it has a much better translation. The only downside is the visuals but I'm not too fussed about that having played the PSP versions of the first two Trails games until I found the patched English Vita Evolution versions after I had finished! :(

I prefer to play these games handheld so I'm more than happy of having been able to play the first seven games on Vita and will play the last two on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It can't be as bad as Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen even if the episodes were only a couple of minutes long.

Picked up Persona 5 yet again this week. I'm just in the phase after 4th Palace and around 70hrs played. I'm reluctant to drop the game at this point but the sections between dungeons are killing me. The last 2 hours or so of play have been ....go to sleep...someone messages to meet up....meet up, rinse and repeat. Don't remember the sections after the last 3 palace's being this bad. Does Royale do much for the pacing aspect? If it did Id nearly ditch this and pick up a copy of Royale on the cheap

I need all you guys to pray to RNGesus for me. I'm about to enter Riovannes Castle in FF Tactics.

Pray for me.

Picked up SaGa Scarlet Grace last night. Only a couple of hours in but have to say it's definitely one of the more enjoyable battle systems I've played in good while. Loads of opportunity to change up turn order, initiate chain attacks and all that good stuff. Very enjoyable so far.

skerry wrote: »
    Picked up SaGa Scarlet Grace last night. Only a couple of hours in but have to say it's definitely one of the more enjoyable battle systems I've played in good while. Loads of opportunity to change up turn order, initiate chain attacks and all that good stuff. Very enjoyable so far.

Is that a remake or something ?

Is that a remake or something ?

Think it was previously on Vita but released on Switch last year.

• Advertisement

Brand new Saga game. Been largely ignored by the mainstream press but apparently it's excellent.

Advertisement