Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

It's quite different than anything I've played before but really enjoying what I've played so far. There's no random encounters or anything. Main character roams from place to place on the over world map. Approaching a new location will tell you if its a town with a smithy/ someone to get side quest off, or if there's an encounter there and how difficult the encounter is. If there's an encounter then entering the location brings you straight to the fight. Think there's 3 or 4 different protagonists so looks like a lot of opportunity for replaying. Loving the battle system so far though, looking forward to getting stuck back in later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Is that a remake or something ?

Japanese only version released on PSVita a couple of years ago. This is the Western release of the game. I see that it is €15 on the Nintendo eShop (50% off) which is a lot for a relatively newly released Square Enix game.

Edit: scratch that. It was released in August 2018 so no that new at all!

I might pick it up to add to the backlog!

Thinking of backlogs, what are other people like in terms of playing multiple RPG's at the same time? Personally I can only play one game until it's finished and then move on to the next. I find the change of battle system/story elements too distracting. Do others dip in an out of different games and play a couple concurrently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Thinking of backlogs, what are other people like in terms of playing multiple RPG's at the same time? Personally I can only play one game until it's finished and then move on to the next. I find the change of battle system/story elements too distracting. Do others dip in an out of different games and play a couple concurrently?

Playing multiple RPGs at the same time doesn't work.

Now sometimes playing a PC/console RPG and a handheld one might work if you commute a lot or play in bed but otherwise you will end up gravitating to one and forgetting about the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Sony are closing the digital store for PS3 and Vita so you might want to pick up some stuff before that happens or consider picking up physical copies before the prices begin to climb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Really enjoying Ys IX. Not sure if it's as good as VIII, I think I preferred the desert island setting and the characters in that, but the combat is still loads of fun and the story is.. grand.

skerry wrote: »
    Picked up SaGa Scarlet Grace last night. Only a couple of hours in but have to say it's definitely one of the more enjoyable battle systems I've played in good while. Loads of opportunity to change up turn order, initiate chain attacks and all that good stuff. Very enjoyable so far.

Many thanks for the recommendation!

The battle system is very enjoyable and is very fun to play. I agree that the strategy in influencing the turn order and trying to set up the chain attacks is quite addictive.

The script however...

Many thanks for the recommendation!

The battle system is very enjoyable and is very fun to play. I agree that the strategy in influencing the turn order and trying to set up the chain attacks is quite addictive.

The script however...

I went with Urpina for first play through. Budget definitely wasn't blown on the writing or voice acting. Voice acting is minimal enough. Did a few boss battles in the first area last night. One was particularly tough and took a good few attempts, really forced me to change things up but got there in the end. Its not an easy game for sure but there's plenty of tools at your disposal to turn things in your favour. Utilising things like paralysis and moves that change up the turn order can turn a very difficult fight into a very manageable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Sony are closing the digital store for PS3 and Vita so you might want to pick up some stuff before that happens or consider picking up physical copies before the prices begin to climb
    Anything that's more likely to get pricey / harder to find?

skerry wrote: »
    I went with Urpina for first play through. Budget definitely wasn't blown on the writing or voice acting. Voice acting is minimal enough. Did a few boss battles in the first area last night. One was particularly tough and took a good few attempts, really forced me to change things up but got there in the end. Its not an easy game for sure but there's plenty of tools at your disposal to turn things in your favour. Utilising things like paralysis and moves that change up the turn order can turn a very difficult fight into a very manageable one.

Yes I had Urpina chosen for me also. I got out of the first area after an hour or two (through the forest rather than the boat).

It took me a while to work out to pick on the isolated enemy between the heroes as that unlocked the United Attack for more damage. What I am not clear on is the levelling up of each character? I'm not sure if its possible to see character progress. I found it also helped to switch in and out the reserve team if their LP is getting low and letting their LP regenerate while they are on the subs bench.

I also turned off the autosave feature as I thought it a little too aggressive and frequent for me.

• Advertisement

Yes I had Urpina chosen for me also. I got out of the first area after an hour or two (through the forest rather than the boat).

It took me a while to work out to pick on the isolated enemy between the heroes as that unlocked the United Attack for more damage. What I am not clear on is the levelling up of each character? I'm not sure if its possible to see character progress. I found it also helped to switch in and out the reserve team if their LP is getting low and letting their LP regenerate while they are on the subs bench.

I also turned off the autosave feature as I thought it a little too aggressive and frequent for me.

The United Attack thing makes things interesting. Nice when it works out but can go wrong real quick if you kill the wrong enemy and join up a bunch of other enemies. Havent been swapping out characters but probably should at this stage, cant remember the exact reason why from the tutorial other than resting. Soundtrack is really good also. You upgrade smithy the more you use it too and get more options for upgrades. A lot going on but it gels together well

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up FFX on the Switch and I feel like time has been very good to it. I wasn't a huge fan when it originally launched on PS2 and couldn't really see past it's flaws but all these years later and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It looks great in handheld mode, the soundtrack is brilliant and I'm really enjoying the battle system. Might even give X-2 a chance after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I felt the opposite, think it's a lot worse in the harsh modern light. I loved it at the time but at the time it was the first good PS2 RPG and looked stunning. Gorgeous soundtrack as well.

The linearity is a major annoyance and the random battles get dull fast as you quickly see all the enemy combinations and figure out the best way to kill them very quickly. The battle system does however work really well with the boss battles. The story is worse than I remember.

It's also way more obvious how unfinished it is. Usually the end game is filled with challenges that test your understanding of the games mechanics. In FFX the best weapons are hidden behind minigames with insane unlocking conditions. The monster catching and arena are a grind. And the Dark Aeons are unbalanced and just require you to grind to get by and by the time you are past them you are way over levelled for the content they were gating.

I think it's one of the weakest entries in the series. It's ahead of only FF2 and FF3 for me. It's not as bad as those, FF2 is a true stinker and FF3 is boring as the job system doesn't truly work until FF5.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Anything that's more likely to get pricey / harder to find?

Legasista and Battle Princess of Arcadias are both digital only PS3 only games. Neither one is super amazing but they arent available anywhere else and are unlikely to ever be ported

Ar Tonelico Qoga is available physically but is unlikely to ever be ported or rereleased

God Hand on the PS2 classics has never been ported and PS2 copies go for hundreds

Growlanser 4. Goes for hundreds physically but meant to be incredible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Back playing xenoblade chronicles on switch, what a great little game, I love exploring new areas, something I didn't take the time to do the first time I played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Legasista and Battle Princess of Arcadias are both digital only PS3 only games. Neither one is super amazing but they arent available anywhere else and are unlikely to ever be ported

Ar Tonelico Qoga is available physically but is unlikely to ever be ported or rereleased

God Hand on the PS2 classics has never been ported and PS2 copies go for hundreds

So glad I bought it when gamestop was still selling cheap ps2 games.

Blue reflection follow up called second light coming out. Wanted to love the first game so much but was a massive disappointment. I hope this one has a budget, more gameplay and a bit of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Didnt even know there was a FTP mobile Atelier in the wilds, but apparently its coming to English speaking countries soon. Not sure how these kinds of games would work with multiplayer, was always a kind of relaxed game style.

I imagine that the item synthesis would be ripe for microtransaction exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I imagine that the item synthesis would be ripe for microtransaction exploitation.

Yeah, in-game days become real time clocks and paying to complete recipes. Think I will stick with the mainline games, only about a dozen to go :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thank you! I'd asked around and on the Vita thread and had no replies so really appreciate it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cold Steel 4 downloading for me at the moment. Really looking forward to it after 3's cliffhanger.

Speaking of the Vita Store nuke, it's worth getting the Muramasa: The Demon Blade DLC chapters. They are exclusive to the Vita version and make it the definitive version of the game.

Oreshika: tainted bloodlines as well is a digital exclusive for Vita

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Speaking of the Vita Store nuke, it's worth getting the Muramasa: The Demon Blade DLC chapters. They are exclusive to the Vita version and make it the definitive version of the game.

Oreshika: tainted bloodlines as well is a digital exclusive for Vita

You can get a physical copy on play asia if you're bothered to import it (I did last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Muramasa DLC is meant to be playable on the vita TV too while the complete/definitive edition is vita portable only.

Play legend of dragoon and you will see how bad they can get.

Currently playing yakuza like a dragon. It's pretty much yakuza dragon quest and it's amazing.

Play legend of dragoon and you will see how bad they can get.

Currently playing yakuza like a dragon. It's pretty much yakuza dragon quest and it's amazing.

The nods to Dragon Quest are brilliant. Great game. Ichiban is a legend too, hard act to follow with Kiryu but they nailed it.

To all the muppets giving out that it's turn based: you were on the wrong side of history, it's awesome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement