Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ff4 pixel remaster is now out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

there was 2 of these Persona Met Gala memes around

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone looking forward to that Blue Reflection sequel? I really, really wanted to love the original but it's been left unfinished by me because it's just such a slog. Hoping this one is a hell of a lot better and has an actual budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Same, wanted to like the original but it just wasn't good and the characters were super flat even though they were going for a melancholic/understated atmosphere. If I ever get round to beating the orginal I might give it a go. There's an anime now too that I've yet to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

13 Sentinels is down to 21 euro in the current PS Store sale. Gonna pick it up at that, I've heard great things about it on here

• Advertisement

Scarlet Nexus coming to Game Pass today. Looking forward to giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Working my way through tales of arise atm, what a great game.

• Advertisement

Davidvinc says it's his current game of the year. Never thought I'd hear that about a Tales game. The series was long over due an overhaul and looks like Arise is a great one.

Now to see if it can top smtV next month!

The suikoden PSP game has gotten a fan translation:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

slowly going through tales of arise since launch . think iv only 11 hours put in just getting in an hour here and there . only my second ever JRPG after FF7 remake ( unless count yakuza 0)

In case you missed it, bitmap are doing a second print run of the hg101 jrpg book:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Guide-Japanese-Role-Playing-Games-Bitmap-Books/9781838019143

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

There's 10% off Book Depository atm using the code book10

Started playing NEO: The World ends with you and I cannot believe a direct sequel to a 14 year old DS game is actually good and enjoyable.

The complete lack of promotion for the game felt like squenix had no confidence at all in the game and sent it out to die but apparently it's amazing.

Anyone tried dungeon encounters?

People talking about it on twitter making noises that it's game of the year material.

Discord I'm on has a lot of people singing its praises minus the music. It seems almost like a board game version of a DRPG?

I'm trucking away at NEO TWEWY at the moment so I don't have time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm interested.

Haven't played anything JRPG like since DQXI (excluding FF7R).

I worry a little about the harsh(ish) game over reset conditions and possible frustration.

EG's review was good

I played a bit about it. It basically strips everything out of a jrpg other than the mechanics. So your mileage will vary on whether you play rpgs for the story and presentation or messing around with the mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Nostalgic thread (good to see retro and a couple of others boardsie i could recognize here lol). Due to life/work (and pissed off by SE since FF13), the only jrpgs i played in the past 7/8 years was actually replaying original ff7 (hd filter something) and ff9 (moguri mode on PC).

SRW30:

Until a few days ago i saw SuperRobotWars30 on Steam front page lmao. Decided not to buy it as it looks scammy as usual (they basically rereleased literal same products in different packaging the past few years), lackluster line ups for a game that is supposed to be the 30 anniversary version, bloody selling DLC at launch for extra fees lol.

I think 4chan/reddit all blown up on the release (first official international/western release), and alot of people just paid for it, as most players outside of asia have to import them from asia and paid premium for many years. I said nope - 50e base game, 75e for deluxe (preorder bonus+dlc), 95e for ultimate package - no way i pay for this scam!

And then yesterday realized brother actually pre-ordered the deluxe version :D oh well why not have a go (share library on steam). Played a few stages so far - we thought honestly it is enjoyable - quality is definitely there (graphics, UI, systems etc), and they have much better translations this time (finally...after so many sh!t show in translation in the past decade...). Definitely looks polished worthy for 'international' release - 50/50 chance it could turn out to be some janky sh!tshow (this shows how much lack of confidence i have for this studio lmao).

(and ye not sure if any boardsie knows about SRW, it is more of a thing if you like mecha/anime/manga as it basically makes a big crossover of the popular mecha shows in 1 game/universe, and the dialogue etc are more lighthearted)

The last SRW I played ( and the first ) was the one with battleship Yamato on PS4 that got a asian english (engrish) release. I tried to play it but could not get into it at all as it seems like a very disjointed SRPG. It's even simpler than Shining Force and yet feels as balanced as a bad RPG maker SRPG. Just totally put me off the series despite it being gorgeous.

I still feel like I'm missing out as Kat Bailey keeps talking about how much she loves the series, how difficult it is and how the one I played was disappointing.

As for Square Enix. FF13 was a disappointment but they've been putting out great games since. FF13-2 was fun and FF13-3 is secretly an amazing game. Then you have stuff like the Mana 3 remake, Saga: Scarlet Grace, Dragon Quest 11, The world Ends with you sequel, and lots of other great stuff. I wouldn't be put off their output over that one game. They may not be putting out as much stuff as usual but they are still the same Square that produces high budget yet experimental RPGs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That was V, I loved it, thought it was brilliant, I also have T and X and was looking at importing this new one but play-asia are trying to charge me 60 euro for shipping.

Ah well I best steer clear of the series if V was good. Just didn't like it. There's something about SRPGs with massive movement ranges that I just don't like.

Indeed I always start with Hard difficulty for SRW games if possible. Because the main selling point of the series is literally putting mechas from different shows into 1 world, it is supposedly be goofy/goofying around and for the mecha fans to see the awesome fight A vs B, role playing the mechs (or switched the pilots from 1 show to another ha), and then find the hidden mechs or random *** crossover stories. All in all a fan service game, so ya, the challenges aspect of being a SRPG is quite weak generally - the systems or power balancing are all over the place etc because they want to shake things but they never have enough budget or run by a group of interns there etc (also cant balance well when it comes to Super robots vs Real robots ha).

I am actually curious if one doesnt know the mecha/s, would one still enjoy it - retro do you know at least Gundam etc? or you find these robots are cool looking at least?

From what i heard from friend V T X are very similar? He told me nothing significant if i want i just need to get V ha. Out of curiousity, sephiroth dude are you a mecha fan?

The new one? SRW30? this is the first time ever we dont need to deal with these importing headaches aha.

On SE, from the past years, the only game i touched was bravely default 1 (ok game), Octopath was a disappointment and i didnt even finish it. I agree with you on SE on 'experimental' aspect and i am ok with those games, but that's why i mentioned FF i.e. their flagship product. SE truly used to be my go-to when i want something with vision, music + graphics, all these later projects (post FF12) no longer have 'souls' (cringe but ye i need that lol...). Just look at that abomination FF7: remake, ya no i refuse to give a penny to SE (yet I bought FFX/X-2 remastered on steam last year...).

Ye as I grow older, I just keep thinking it is important that any project/game needs to have visions, that the way some director/team put their passion/visions to create a RPG that is interesting and fun - or, at least have a slightly more cohesive story and unfold the story in a competent way. A lot of writings/brain storming are needed during a project's development phase - and SE's products truly show that they are run by a bunch of incompetents. I dont even hate Nomura anymore at this stage lol.

and that reminds me on the this YT channel i quite like aha (not sure if you came across his “Okay I believe you” meme from KH series)

i do get the impression that the real successor of FF is now their FF:MMO...

SMT V reviews are out, didn't think they'd be out until next week. Lot of 9/10's so far. Have a lot of games on at the moment but gonna be hard to resist pre-ordering this one.

• Advertisement

Ya I love mecha, I love the way anime series cross over in SRW and you see characters from different animes in them. You're friend is right, there all standalone I think. I haven't played T or X yet but I wanted physical copies for my collection and wanted to add SRW 30 to it on the switch but I won't get it right now anyway.

Advertisement