Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atelier Rorona is coming to vita in English. I should have waited to play it on that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well since it was announced, could have been in development even longer. It's why there's been no KH3 since that dev team is working on ff15. It's pretty much in duke nukes forever territory now.

Ohhhhhh dear.........

Atelier Rorona is coming to vita in English. I should have waited to play it on that.

Was gonna say its on the store already but that's atelier totori,I see ragnorok odyssey ace is up on the store too,didn't think that was coming over here at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it's weird since Meruru (I think) and Totori are on the store but the first game in the trilogy isn't. I didn't expect it to come over because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

They skipped Rorona initially because the models are significantly worse than the later games. They redid the models for the new release and added the battle system from meruru. I'm 20 hours into the original so I'm not sure if I want to go back to the beginning but on the other hand its been a year since I last played it and I don't play console games anymore so I might have a better chance at beating it on the vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SMT: Nocturne should be up on the US PSN when it updates today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    SMT: Nocturne should be up on the US PSN when it updates today.

I saw that on someones top 10 rpgs for the ps2,never played an smt game before though.

I saw that on someones top 10 rpgs for the ps2,never played an smt game before though.

The guys at HG101 think it's far and away the best RPG on the PS2. Most people that know RPGs tend to agree. I played about 8 hours of it and absolutely loved it, really must finish it sometime. Work got in the way and I've not been able to play my home consoles as much.

Another series for me to look into so :D

Another series for me to look into so :D

Hold on, you say you've never played a SMT game. Christ you need to sort that out! Persona 3 and 4 would be the best places to start, SMT Nocturne is a lot tougher (**** you Matador!).

I still have a PS2 copy of Nocturne and gonna get it tonight when it comes up for download, I loved the game for its dark weird story and addictive gameplay that was actually challenging, would be great to see Digital Devil Saga released as well.

• Advertisement

Hold on, you say you've never played a SMT game. Christ you need to sort that out! Persona 3 and 4 would be the best places to start, SMT Nocturne is a lot tougher (**** you Matador!).

I have 3 and 4 in a big stock pile waiting to be played.I think i'll get persona 1 and 2 as well and play them in order.

I have 3 and 4 in a big stock pile waiting to be played.I think i'll get persona 1 and 2 as well and play them in order.

You need to prioritise Persona 3 and 4. Just start with 3 and 4 they are very different games and there's little to no connection with previous games in the series. Persona 1 was never really that great and has aged badly. Persona 2 is good (there's two parts to that game) but really P3 and P4 are what you should be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Definitely start with P3 and P4. I will say that I really enjoyed Persona 1 (the PSP port), but it's a completely different beast to the later games, and certainly not without its flaws.

I Should really finish off dues stella.

Persona 1 is a hard game to get into because of the slow battle system. I much prefer the battle system of SMT 1 and 2. There's some enjoyment to be had but you have to work for it.

The worst thing about the PSP remake is they changed the soundtrack and it's no where near as good as the originals.

Love the old soundtrack:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Ive been glued to No ni Kuni for days. I cant believe how many great jrpg's i missed over the years. It would be perfect on the vita.

Can ye recommend any others that i wont feel like i have wasted my time playing

... I would be hard pushed to call Ni No Kuni a great RPG.

We've been singing the praises of Shin Megami Tensei and it's Persona spin-off series. I'd check those games out, they are far better than Ni No Kuni.

On PS3 I've a soft spot for the Atelier games. They're light hearted, fun and have loads of charm and character.

Also if you've not tried Valkyria Chronicles you need to play it asap.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Ive been glued to No ni Kuni for days. I cant believe how many great jrpg's i missed over the years. It would be perfect on the vita.

Can ye recommend any others that i wont feel like i have wasted my time playing

You'll like child of light so if you haven't played it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

... I would be hard pushed to call Ni No Kuni a great RPG.

We've been singing the praises of Shin Megami Tensei and it's Persona spin-off series. I'd check those games out, they are far better than Ni No Kuni.

On PS3 I've a soft spot for the Atelier games. They're light hearted, fun and have loads of charm and character.

Also if you've not tried Valkyria Chronicles you need to play it asap.

I completed persona 4 golden. Valkyria chronicles will be my next stop. Before persona the last jrpg i played was ffvii. I gave them up after putting 99hrs into it and my memory card got wiped. Cloud storage has made me venture back in :-D

Dunno if anyone's interested but transistor is out in 2 weeks for ps4,its an action RPG.

• Advertisement

Atelier Rorona Plus is coming to PS3 and PS Vita on June 20, 2014 (EU), June 24, 2014 (US) Physical on PS3, Digital only for Vita.

r8W16TO.jpg

My poor wallet has been taking a pounding recently, but this is a must get on the Vita.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

FF 15 has been in development for 8 years? ****

I somehow get feeling xv ii & iii are on the flipcharts at square enix, gotta pay 8 years wages sonewhere. I wonder how incoherent the plots for those will be..

imitation wrote: »
    I somehow get feeling xv ii & iii are on the flipcharts at square enix, gotta pay 8 years wages sonewhere. I wonder how incoherent the plots for those will be..

FF15 is being written by Nomura. No matter how long it's in development the plot will be incoherent tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Would imagine everyone probably already bought Final Fantasy X/X2 HD for PS3, if not Argos have it for €30. In stock in most stores too, only ones and twos though.

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=2132048

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, The Last Story or Xenoblade? I got the Dolphin emulator working properly, and want to get stuck into one of these. I played a fair bit of Xenoblade when it was initially released, but only got around 50% through it.

Last Story is short but sweet with lots of innovation.

Xenoblade is an incredible game but will take you 100 hours just to get through the main quest.

Really you can't go wrong with either.

Kiith wrote: »
    So, The Last Story or Xenoblade? I got the Dolphin emulator working properly, and want to get stuck into one of these. I played a fair bit of Xenoblade when it was initially released, but only got around 50% through it.

Ahhhhhhh Xenoblade..........amazing game,I stopped playing after I got stuck on some bastard of a dragon boss....must play it again actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

La Purcelle tactics ragnarok, the psp port of Disgaea's predecessor has gotten a fan translation with all the bonus content translated. I must give it a go if I can find my old psp.

• Advertisement

I tried playing the ps2 version, didn't gat far. I adored the characters but the combat just grated on me. I'd say it works a lot better as a portable title.

Advertisement