Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

I just realised I've had the game in hard more. In the options, I had enemy stats on high and aggressiveness on high. I thought the stats would give me more info but nope. Means stronger enemies and aggressiveness attacks my weakest characters first! No wonder I was having trouble! I would die in every fight if I didn't play carefully

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Omg you level up your abilities with sp... Again no wonder I'm so weak...

12:29 on the game clock when I realised this. Am I an idiot or was it poorly explained

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was looking at getting this, is the game a lot easier now you've turned down the difficulty?

Yeah much easier. I went from dying often enough against regular enemies, attempting bosses multiple times to rarely dying at all. It's still a bit of a challenge and progressing the story much quicker. There is something to be said about grinding it out on hard but life is too short. I've left it at the middle difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I've completed Chained Echoes now. About 60 hours including doing most side stuff. The difficulty dropped off a lot in the final third when I had my team well sorted and the UI struggled under the amount of stuff you had to tweak in the late game - e.g. I started to dread getting new weapons or armour because of the amount of time I'd need to spend at a blacksmith redoing all of my crystals.

That said, it was still a great game and it's the first time in a while that a game has made me want to keep going back to it so much that I've been actively trying to find ways to carve a bit of time out of my day to devote to it. Loved the music, the art style, loved the side content and the way it rewarded exploration, loved the battle system, loved all the little nods and references to classic games that never felt out of place in the context of the game. The story had an almost comical number of twists (reminded me of the Yakuza games more than anything) but it stopped it being predictable at least and it managed to do both humour and some very dark themes well with a likeable cast of characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone getting One Piece Odyssey today? It's getting surprisingly good reviews for a licenced game. A demo that you can move your save from is available if you want to check it out.

Iinm this is also the first release to skip Xbox One yet be released on Xbox Series and PS4/5.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm interested in it but with fire emblem out next week can't really justify getting this as well.

Fyi it sounds like the P3P remaster is very messy, bugs in the original PSP release have not been addressed and the voice work uses the highly compressed PSP audio instead of being replaced with the better quality PS2 audio where available. The game also apparently suffers from having an awful AI upscale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watching the ff7 run at last week's agdq and it's very interesting.

Three things I've learn, aerith is called aerith in the game and not aeris and it only defaults to aeris when you name her. There's a glitch that lets you control emerald weapon. And there's no randomness in ff7. So when people say there's random battled they are wrong. The game has a list of all numbers from 1 to 256 and it increments the list every time theres a call to pull that number. It's means you can control battles very easily and even get back attacks against bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've been diving into the speedrun the last year or so as something to watch while working as it's something I can tune into and out of as needed on the tasks, but in saying that, the recent Kalm skip was found about a month after I started watching them and it was actually really exciting getting to know how it worked and potential for future skips. But the emerald weapon thing in agdq was something I had never seen before :D

Also, recently got a platinum in trials of mana, the ps4 version. I have to imagine as a snes game it must have been pretty mindblowing how well the details were thought out, different days corresponding to different elements and making enemies of those element stronger, day and night cycles, 6 characters that can interact with each other based on their position within your team and 3 separate endings. 40 hours all in but the new game+ means you'd finish the third playthrough in 6 or 7 hours. Not difficult but a great little JRPG with ease to let my 5yr old help in battles once you're in new game+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been meaning to get around that Trials, I heard the remake is excellent.

Would highly recommend it, but play on hard if possible, even coming into it fresh, there was very little challenge and all of the "super bosses" were pretty straightforward too, but I have heard that the "no future" difficulty you unlock after beating the game once is incredibly punishing.....I may try it as it was lots of fun to play and really charming as games go.

I got the plat as well, that secret boss, the black bunny was bitch to beat.

Definitely the trickiest boss in the game but as someone who hasn't gotten past the second level of Demon Souls, I feel my standard of difficulty is lower than most gamers :D

Baten kaitos is getting a remake for switch. I don't know if the prequel baten kaitos origins is though, can anyone confirm? Thought I read a rumour it was the two.

Anyway baten kaitos is a game I adored on the GameCube. The story is standard anime tropes but the battle system is incredible. Unfortunately it starts off slow as you only have 3 or 4 cards to play with in each hand but it gets exponentially more fun as your hand expands.

There's also a 100% Speedrun category that takes 340 hours to complete and has a few crazy runners.

Excellent, next month of work shifts covered watching a speedrun :D

etrian odyssey collection is coming to switch at last on June 1st! finally I get to try these games!

You are in for a treat. Just don't treat them like a normal JRPG. They are dungeon crawlers. Dive into the dungeon but retreat the minute resources are running low and you still have enough to get out. Try to get a little further with each dive, the information you have in the next dive from your map is totally vital to getting that little bit further.

And don't be tempted by the auto mapping, the mapping is totally transformative to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Great to see the Etrian Odyssey games getting another outlet after 3DS shop closes. Have most of them on 3DS. Find the map drawing aspect really meditative. Missed the direct and wasnt clear from the quick trailer I watched how they will handle the map drawing on Switch, hopefully it translates well.

I'd say it's touch screen in handheld mode and a way to do it with the d-pad in docked. There's also an auto map function. Map takes up left side of screen when drawing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Pricing for the EO games is absurd but I will buy at leats one of them regardless. Playing EOIV on 3DS was pretty instrumental for me understanding how RPG's actually worked mechanically so I have a lot fondness for the series despite only playing one of them.

You are getting a lot of game for 80 euro but 40 for each might be a bit much. 20-30 for EO 1 and 2 and 40 for EO 3 as its a more substantial game seems fairer.

You told me that before as well and that's the reason why I think they appealed to me so much.

They're probably the best introduction to dungeon crawlers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I don't think they have the untold story mode but still excellent, I'm glad more people get a chance at playing EO3 as I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

It's be a good argument if these ports weren't literally dearer than the original games when they released!

The remakes are currently discounted significantly on 3DS too and have additional content.

Might wait on these and grab them in a sale for the Steamdeck.

Octopath Traveller 2 seems to be reviewing better than the first one. I like the look of them but have yet to try either. Anybody played them? Are they even jRPGs?

The first one is on Game Pass on Xbox and cloud streaming until Tuesday if you want to try it.

• Advertisement

The first was a bit grindy by the end apparently and the story never really came together. The sequel is a massive improvement from what I've heard. Meant to be seriously good.

Advertisement