Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like FF15 will be MIA from E3 this year. Can anyone say Vapourware?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The amount of side quests in Xenoblade is ****in ridiculous. I think i'll just have to start ignoring them completely, at least for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    The amount of side quests in Xenoblade is ****in ridiculous. I think i'll just have to start ignoring them completely, at least for a while.

Take them all on. There's no real limit to how many you can take and since you don't have to return to the quest giver you'll end up completing them by just exploring. They are far and away the best way of leveling up as well as finding landmarks. If you don't take quests on you'll end up underlevelled for bosses. Just take as many as you can on and go exploring. You'll have completed loads before you know it and you'll be at a level to take on the bosses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I do tend to pick them all up, and there are a lot of them completed as soon as i pick them up. They do seem to be never ending though. I tend to just go after the named mobs, and kill stuff along the way. So far so good though, and haven't really had any trouble with the bosses yet.

The music in the game is also fantastic.

I tend to just take on as many quests as I can then explore the area completely and do a few of them. I know some people that didn't and ran into a wall with being underlevelled for a boss.

At least it's relatively quick to level up in the game by doing some quests. It's the kind of game where a level or two makes a huge difference in battles. If you are 3-5 levels lower than an enemy you can find yourself doing little to no damage but within 3-0 levels you can take them on easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing a lot of Ragnarok Odyssey ACE,on chapter 3 now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hopefully they have worked out the bugs in the game which are pretty widespread in the JP release, they seem to solve one issue and create 10 more with the patches, it had a game breaking bug at launch and then when they fixed that the game would crash before every battle.

Not quite a typical JRPG, but is anyone picking up Drakengard 3, it will be out here on Wednesday for digital download, have it ordered from VGP.

Also did anyone ever play Nier, picked it up for a fiver and I know it has got very mixed reactions from players.

Drakengard looks interesting,the same people who did nier did that too?

• Advertisement

Drakengard looks interesting,the same people who did nier did that too?

Yeah it has most of the same team, the first two games in the series did not review well but I quite liked them, so willing to give Nier a chance, Drakengard 3 has been very well received in Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I've played Nier. It's definitely worth trying out.
    The gameplay is varied and innovative but like the game itself, fairly divisive.
    The highlight for me was the soundtrack. The story is engaging too and there are interesting characters. On the other hand, it looks fairly washed out and dull and the side quests aren't the best in that they're repetitive and generally require back tracking. You can't go wrong for a fiver anyway though, worth it for the music.

It'll be interesting to see if Drakengard's any good.
    Good price on VGP. It's €49.99 on PSN, which is too dear for a digital release I think.

Nier is fantastic. The only issue I had was the poor graphics but everything else was great. The way the gameplay changed on the fly was ingenious. Also make sure you play new game plus, it totally changes the story and is the best use of new game plus I've seen.

Looks like it was 5 Euro well spent on Nier then.

Rpgamer gave drakengard 3 3/5 although I'd take their reviews with a pinch of salt. Seems to be great soundtrack and story, ropey graphics and combat.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga has just popped up on the US PSN store, Atlus are really spoiling us.

I think it's more that the new ps2 emulator is working with the nocturne engine so they are putting all their games up :)

20140521_204618_zpsfirj08w9.jpg

Got these today :D

The Witch and the Hundred Knight gets very disturbing in places, still not sure what to make of it after finishing it.

Xenji wrote: »
    The Witch and the Hundred Knight gets very disturbing in places, still not sure what to make of it after finishing it.

How long did it take you to finish? Is it similar to disgea?

• Advertisement

How long did it take you to finish? Is it similar to disgea?

About 60 hours, its is a lot darker storyline wise and uses a real time combat system similar to Diablo but with the usual bonuses you would get with a Disgea game. Besides that everything looks and feels like playing Disgea, be prepared for a few wtf moments though.

Just started Last Story with a view to finishing it. It's such a weird game. It's very localised to the one location but that location is excellently realised and the combat system is strange but really good. It's more abut drawing aggro to make the most of area effect spells with some gears of war and stealth thrown in. It's a lot of fun.

Another Wii game I have to finish.

Anyone know anything about mind zero? Its out on Tuesday in the states and I have it preorderd on vgp but if its not any good I'll cancel,I think its first person like demon gaze?

Anyone know anything about mind zero? Its out on Tuesday in the states and I have it preorderd on vgp but if its not any good I'll cancel,I think its first person like demon gaze?

Translated version of the Famitsu review, it looks and sounds interesting but I am gonna hold off on it and see what reaction it gets.
    Here's what Famitsu said:
    Targeted at: people who like character driven, dungeon RPGs
    Time needed to beat the game: 25 hours
    Time to fully clear the game: 40 hours

Reviewer: Reona Ebihara (Score 8)
    Whether you summon your MIND or not really influences the battles. It certainly is unique. You have to put a lot of strategy into which skills you equip. It's quite fun. On the other hand, the battle scenes are poorly done, and there's a gap between the look of the characters in the adventure parts. The fact that you can fast forward battles really comes in handy.

Reviewer: Jigoro Ashida (Score 7)
    You're not just exploring the dungeon; the game incorporates the adventure part very well. The strategy involved in whether to summon or recall your MIND really heats up, too. By retooling your skill sets or powering up, you can create your own unique strategies. The 2D characters are charming, but the 3D versions look nothing like them, which is a shame.

Reviewer: Morrigan Nagata (Score 7)
    The dungeons are well put together, and the world has a very dark and mysterious vibe going for it. It's got atmosphere in spades. The battles demand that the player take into consideration the enemy's affinities and how to properly use the MIND. It kinda sucks that the intensity of the battles doesn't come across so much when you use fast-forward. The gap between the 3D and 2D character models is absolutely mind-boggling.

Giichi Todzuka (Score 8)
    Exploring the dungeons is speedy and stress free, thanks to a lot of support features for battling and moving around. You can also freely change the difficulty level to spice things up. The multiple worlds and supporting characters are charming, but I can't help but think the developers would have done better if they had pushed the envelope a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gamefaqs has a release date for next Wednesday here, so possibly a PSN digital release. Looks interesting to say the least.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/708360-mind-zero/data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just started Last Story with a view to finishing it. It's such a weird game. It's very localised to the one location but that location is excellently realised and the combat system is strange but really good. It's more abut drawing aggro to make the most of area effect spells with some gears of war and stealth thrown in. It's a lot of fun.
    what retro you never finish Last Story??

I am still waiting for some game like that for my Jrpg fix :( been ages now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone pick up Chrono Cross in the recent US PSN sale? Any continuing impressions of it? So far I'm at that stock level of 'great soundtrack, easy enough, scattered storyline and sometimes dense battle system'.

Played it years ago and had to stop because I got horribly stuck in an area and couldn't continue. My impressions were it was a very weird game with good ideas and poor execution. There were way too many characters and the story is pretty awful. As a sequel to Chrono trigger its the worst sequel ever and craps all over what that game stood for. As a game in its own right it's pretty fun if horribly flawed which kind of adds to it.

And damn the soundtrack is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Don't know if I'm late to the party or what but....

Final Fantasy VII and VIII are on Steam (YES PLEASE) but also..

FF III was released on Steam today. I've never played this one. Is it any good?

• Advertisement

Chrono Cross is a great game, but is quite different than Chrono Trigger, its only issue is it can be quite confusing at time's story wise and the ending will leave you scratching your head.

Advertisement