Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wish we got the Saturn version of Grandia in English, it looks way better :(

They actually remade large amount of Grandia 1 back when Grandia Online was Grandia Zero, then shelved it all to make the most generic korean MMO out of it :( they really should use it for a remake

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hotaru no Nikki is 25th feb :-D ON VITA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Does the psp vita play psp psn games?

I bought persona 3 for PSP ages ago and wondering if I get a vita, would it play it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Does the psp vita play psp psn games?

I bought persona 3 for PSP ages ago and wondering if I get a vita, would it play it

Only if you brought it from the psn store on your vita.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only if you brought it from the psn store on your vita.

You can use multiple accounts on Vita. It's just a pain in the ass since you have to have a memory card for each account and need to go through the whole vita start up process everytime you switch.

• Advertisement

Ok I thought he meant could put the psp cartridge in the vita,my bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This generations last great RPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

So I just started playing Atelier Rorona. I handed in some items for the front desk request and even though the listed reward is like 45 or 50 I only got two cash. Is this normal? Or am. I reading the reward wrong, or is the game broken somehow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That moment in a JRPG when some of your characters first get knocked out and your previously perfectly synchronised experience progressions gets knocked out of sync.

I don't know how people with OCD handle it.

Looks very cool, hopefully we'll get a release date soon.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    So I just started playing Atelier Rorona. I handed in some items for the front desk request and even though the listed reward is like 45 or 50 I only got two cash. Is this normal? Or am. I reading the reward wrong, or is the game broken somehow?

I think you're getting confused with the reward tickets/stamps
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    This generations last great RPG?

Depends on it you count Yakuza 5 and Persona 5 but yeah any of them would be a good swansong

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I think you're getting confused with the reward tickets/stamps

Depends on it you count Yakuza 5 and Persona 5 but yeah any of them would be a good swansong

Err..

The tickets/stamps are from Sterk.

This is the front desk where it says 53 gold if I give the girl three of whatever item she wants. I give her the item and my gold goes up by 5. This is at the very start of the game. I wonder if it's a case that if your reputation isn't high you get less money? I can't see how else to make cash in the game. I assumed these quests would be the way, having played previous Atelier games.

Looks very cool, hopefully we'll get a release date soon.

If the gameplay is turn based or ATB of some kind then I'm in. Not keen on the action rpg route for my jRPGs.

Well played a bit more FF7. Got to Corel and then finished the golden saucer, collected Yuffie and saved outside Cosmo Canyon. I always really like the dungeon before Corel, I think it's the music that does it for me but there's a good bit of variety in it and some nice touches like people not in your party waving as you cross the bridge.

I wasn't however fond of Golden Saucer on the first visit. It's an interesting concept having somewhere with its own currency but the minigames are all so terrible. Also the whole prison section and Barrets back story with Dyne is extremely weak. The less said about the forced chocobo race... I'm glad Golden Saucer is behind me because it wasn't that enjoyable.

Gongaga seems very weird in retrospect. It feels a bit half arsed. There's not a whole lot to do there and visually it's a bit of a mess.

I'm really starting to feel the disparity between the excellent start of the game in Midgar (and Junon) and how the rest of the game is kind of a normal run of the mill RPG. It's like two different games. Iirc I've at least got some fun areas coming up next.

If the gameplay is turn based or ATB of some kind then I'm in. Not keen on the action rpg route for my jRPGs.

It looks more like the pseudo MMO style used by FF12 and Xenoblade. I hope it's more like Xenoblade because that battle system was amazing.

It looks more like the pseudo MMO style used by FF12 and Xenoblade. I hope it's more like Xenoblade because that battle system was amazing.

I don't trust square with that. It feels like their trying to tap into the action genre market. Their last best game was FFX and it was fine being turn based. That's what I want from them but I guess they don't care.

I don't trust square with that. It feels like their trying to tap into the action genre market. Their last best game was FFX and it was fine being turn based. That's what I want from them but I guess they don't care.

Square's output has been consistently been excellent since final fantasy X with only 13 being a misstep and even that wasn't as bad as most people think. The new director in charge of FF15 has also more than proven himself at being able to deliver an excellent real time battle system with his previous games, he seems to be a major up and coming talent. He also managed to make a good Kingdom Hearts with Birth by Sleep, something long thought impossible for that cesspit of a series :)

I also don't get people wanting Final fantasy to go back to its roots so to speak and go back to being turn based. Final Fantasy is a series defined by how it reinvents itself with every iteration and doesn't rest on its laurels. It's a richer game series for it and it's good to see something so inventive in this age of safe sequels. Final Fantasy 13 was a product of Square trying to go back to that FFX formula and well other than the battle system that game didn't turn out that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finished Phantasy Star Nova during the week, it really is a fantastic game, just a shame that Sega will probably never localize it.

Xenji wrote: »
    Sega will probably never localize it.

God damn it sega :mad:

Xenji wrote: »
    Finished Phantasy Star Nova during the week, it really is a fantastic game, just a shame that Sega will probably never localize it.

Would love if they did. Tri-Ace in development duties has me very interested and they are on a roll after the FFXIII sequels and resonance of fate. Get the finger out Sega!

BTW is it in english anywhere, like a asian hong kong release??

• Advertisement

Not in english anywhere, probably better off begging Sony if you want it :(

Tri-Ace really didnt do much with it, it's just PSO2 offline version. That said, PSO2 is an absolutely excellent game with incredible gameplay

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Tri-Ace really didnt do much with it, it's just PSO2 offline version. That said, PSO2 is an absolutely excellent game with incredible gameplay

And another game we won't see in English :(

Bought a PSP vita and persona 4 golden. Good times ahead

Persona 4 is much slower starter than persona 3. I guess its because the character finds out about the shadows himself rather then being told by a group. Loving it so far.

Plan is to buy persona 2, SMT 4 and persona Q over the next few months

Be aware there's two parts to Persona 2, Innocent Sin is the first and on the PSP while Eternal Punishment, the second part, is only on PS1 in english but is on the PSN store.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Vita really does seem to be the best place for JRPGs right now. Picked up Ys: Memories of Celceta yesterday for just over a tenner and will grab Freedom Wars later today.

The Vita really does seem to be the best place for JRPGs right now. Picked up Ys: Memories of Celceta yesterday for just over a tenner and will grab Freedom Wars later today.

Yeah it's been a very good year for the system for B-tier JRPG games and I felt this year it was way ahead of the 3DS. Plenty of PS3 RPGs coming across to the system now, the Atelier games are so much better on a portable. More people need to play the Atelier games, how many times do I have to say they are the secret best RPGs on the the last few years! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yeah it's been a very good year for the system for B-tier JRPG games and I felt this year it was way ahead of the 3DS. Plenty of PS3 RPGs coming across to the system now, the Atelier games are so much better on a portable. More people need to play the Atelier games, how many times do I have to say they are the secret best RPGs on the the last few years! :)

like persona i knew of atelier for years but need that push to buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Be aware there's two parts to Persona 2, Innocent Sin is the first and on the PSP while Eternal Punishment, the second part, is only on PS1 in english but is on the PSN store.

Eternal Punishment isn't available on the Irish psn store, only the US and the PS1 version has an Americanised script which is a little jarring if continuing on from Innocent Sin. Pity Atlus didn't release the PSP version of Eternal Punishment.

• Advertisement

I remember playing the first atelier on the ps2 and getting stuck on a boss that was like a glass unicorn/horse and took me ages to kill the fecker :mad:

Advertisement