Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Considering the price for them from the US boxed, the fact that they are on the US PSN for cheaper and have been on sale, then yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment has been ESRB rated so fingers crossed for a release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Finally, news about FFXHD. My PS2 laser died about 3 hours into my replaythrough so this is good news for me.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/028/932/5121ead739483.html

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

snausages wrote: »
    Finally, news about FFXHD. My PS2 laser died about 3 hours into my replaythrough so this is good news for me.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/028/932/5121ead739483.html

I see PSP, vita, 360, wii and DS...but not PS3 O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

carbonkid wrote: »
    I see PSP, vita, 360, wii and DS...but not PS3 O_O

That's just links for news. The games for vita and ps3.

• Advertisement

Video here

They apparently redid the models but didn't use the more 'expressive' ones (anyone who has played X on PS2 will have noticed how some cutscenes have facial motion capture whereas in others the characters look like zombies). They wanted something that still looked like the original.

For example, Yuna now has fingers rather than a claw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm interested in getting a 3ds,which would the better game package to get the monster hunter one or the fire emblem one?which is the better game like?

I'm interested in getting a 3ds,which would the better game package to get the monster hunter one or the fire emblem one?which is the better game like?

Depends really. If you like SRPGs then there's few that can match Fire Emblem. Monster Hunter on the other hand is really only good as a online diablo clone.

If you have taste you'll go for fire emblem :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The first question is do you want a 3DS XL? I find them too big for a portable handheld. Make sure you get a feel of one before you make take the plunge.

Trying to be objective about Fire Emblem as otherwise it would just be a gushing recommendation- MH has more replay value. FE is generally the type of game you finish and don't return to after you discover how insanely difficult Hard mode is. But otherwise FE all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So NIS announced a trio of games coming to America. Disgaea D2 (autumn), The Guided Fate Paradox (autumn) and Time and Eternity (Toki no Towa in Japan) (summer). Link to Destructoid

Never really liked Disgaea as the combat system (move, then resolve attacks) didnt gel with me, prefer the Fire Emblem/Shining Force "one move and attack, next char" system.

Review from above of Toki no Towa isnt very positive, very dull and bad characters.

Guided Fate Paradox looks intresting, meant to be a rogue-like dungeon crawler, and got a Azure Dreams vibe off it with the companion following you. Plus....tanks...

• Advertisement

Guided Fate Paradox supposedly plays like ZHP which I have no experience of.

Disgaea Dimensions wasn't so good so not holding much fate in the sequel.

Heard Time and Eternity is gorgeous but very dull.

ZHP is pretty great. It's kinda like a rouguelike except every time you die how many levels you got go towards improving your level 1 base stats. There is no disagea dimensions 1.

Ah right I'm thinking of the disgaea visual novel thing. Must pick upzhpbefore it disappears forever.

heard a rumour Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is hitting the US PSN this tuesday. It's the PS1 version not the PSP version but it's better than nothing. I heard there may be come names that differ between then two that might be confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Has anyone here played Tales of the Abyss on 3DS? Thinking about getting it if it's good.

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Has anyone here played Tales of the Abyss on 3DS? Thinking about getting it if it's good.

Have you played any Tales games before? It's decent enough but nothing special. The aliasing is quite bad though.

megaten wrote: »
    Have you played any Tales games before? It's decent enough but nothing special. The aliasing is quite bad though.

Nope it'll be my first. I am actually trying to decide between this and Ocarina of Time. The thing that is swaying me towards Tales is I have played and finished OOT years ago so not sure if I can justify paying full price for it even with updated graphics.

I've only really beaten Symphonia but it seems to sum up the Tales series. Stories full of cliches but great battle systems.

What's considered to be the best of the Tales series?

I've heard either Symphonia or Vesperia

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    What's considered to be the best of the Tales series?

Abyss and Tales of Graces F according to the fanbase and the upcoming Xillia is meant to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Corcs001 wrote: »

I played it recently and thought it was good. The battles are fun and its got some great characters. Symphonia is still my favourite Tales game but Abyss isn't too far behind.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Abyss and Tales of Graces F according to the fanbase and the upcoming Xillia is meant to be great.

I thought Graces F was meant to be a disappointment (according to reviews anyway).

I'm wary of the whole series as it doesn't look dark enough from what I've seen. Looks very shojo / girly style.

penev10 wrote: »
    I thought Graces F was meant to be a disappointment (according to reviews anyway).

I'm wary of the whole series as it doesn't look dark enough from what I've seen. Looks very shojo / girly style.

I'm going by japanese reviews and the fanbases reaction to the game. Most western reviewers just don't know what they are talking about when it comes to JRPGs anymore. A far as I'm aware Graces F has what is regarded as the best battle system in the series. Not sure about the story but it's never been a strong point or focus of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Persona2 EP just came out on psn. I remember playing the first one years ago. I'm trying to get my head around the battle system. I'm used to the usual jrpg battle system but personas throw me off. Am I just suppose to spam persona abilities because physical attacks seem to be redundant? Which persona should I equip to who, are there affinities for each character? I'm almost getting a handle on contact system so that's good.

I really like the graphics. Since retro is such a rage then more games should move on from 8bit to something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just had a fanboy fit when I discovered that Shigesato Itoi (creator of Mother/Earthbound) had a cameo in the big-screen adaption of Norwegian Wood. Makes sense, given the history of Itoi/Murakami, but I still bumped when I say his name on the credits.

Yes, no one cares, and it only took me over a year to realize, but it's either this or broadcast it on the streets.

Or, well, shut the f**k up.

I see there's another Atelier game coming to PS3, Atelier Ayesha

Are the Atelier games any use? That's the 4th in about 3 years, they must be selling but I've never seen a glowing review of them.

My friend said that the Arland trilogy is great other than Rorona which is average. He's the same guy that recommended Persona 3 to me. I own them, not played them, story of my life.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked has got a EU release date finally.

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-overclocked-gets-release-date

Quite excited about this as I never played it on DS. Anyone played it?

• Advertisement

I've only played a bit of Atelier Rorona which is apparently the weakest of the modern ones but I've had fun with it. The one after it totori has been rated for Vita in Australia which apparently includes all the dlc so you might want to wait for that one.

Advertisement