Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Thanks guys. I have a PS3 as well actually so maybe fire out a few titles for that as well.

Those games look and sound so strange. I'm actually afraid to try one, as ridiculous as that sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

By the way I don't think I'd ever get into the turn-based stuff. Action RPG would be more my style.

I've watched plenty of anime over the years and I love Japan's approach to fantasy in general, so that's my motivation for wanting to try one out, but I guess I want it all wrapped up prettily in game systems that feel familiar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's loads on PS3. Stay away from Ni No Kuni, it's amazing looking and sounding but might just be the most boring RPG I've played in a long time. The reviews are mostly high which I find insane, most RPG fans hate it.

The Atelier games would be a good starting off point on PS3. Go with Atelier Ayesha or Atelier Shallie.

I'd actually recommend some of the classic games over anything on PS3. The very best you can get are Persona 3 and Persona 4 on the PS2 classics range. The best damn RPGs in the last decade there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pickpocket wrote: »
    By the way I don't think I'd ever get into the turn-based stuff. Action RPG would be more my style.

I've watched plenty of anime over the years and I love Japan's approach to fantasy in general, so that's my motivation for wanting to try one out, but I guess I want it all wrapped up prettily in game systems that feel familiar.

Nier
    Dragons Dogma
    Star Ocean 4
    Tales Of Xillia
    Resonance of Fate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Give turn based a go. It's way better than any action RPG combat system when done right. Way more tactical, satisfying and faster. It baffles me how people can hate turn based games then turn around and say they love X-Com!

If you must go with a action RPG then give Nier a go. It's a bizarre game with a low budget but the excellent story and music make it. Also be sure to play through the New Game + at least once

• Advertisement

I'd second Dragon's Dogma, it's the absolute business but probably better on a PC, it has severe frame rate issues on console. Also more a western style RPG just made by a japanese company.

Resonance of Fate is fantastic as well but it takes forever to learn the combat system. Not for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I've never played a JRPG. What would you recommend for the PS4?

I highly recommend checking out Valkyria Chronicles remastered even if you dont think turn based oluld be your bag, it blends the turn based with action and honestly loads of people who thought they wouldnt be into it, were, because it's very streamlined

I'd second Dragon's Dogma and Nier as suggested. Both fantastic.

What about the Dark Souls series???? Have you looked into or played those ones?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will Toukiden 2 and the new Ys games get a western release do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The PS4 versions will definitely get a release. Harder to say about Vita.

• Advertisement

Ys is a definite, XSeed and Falcom have a love in. It's already been confirmed... I think.

I'd say Toukiden 2 will hit PC as well as PS4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Or do ye think the Japanese releases will have english subs?

Or do ye think the Japanese releases will have english subs?

Nope, it's the Asian releases for Hong Kong that do. Keep an eye on play asia, they usually say if there's an English Asian release.

Ys 8 will definitely get a western release but I imagine they'll want to release the vita and PS4 versions at the same time in the west so expect it in 2017

Kadokawa games is having a press briefing right before E3, hopefully they'll annnounce some new games. They own From Software so people are hoing their new game wil be announced. I'd like to see a new game from the Natural Doctrine team too

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/kadokawa-games-summer-2016-media-briefing-set-june-13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

http://store.steampowered.com/app/409870
    Phantom Brave has been announced for PC.
    Really hope that NIS continue to port their PS2 catalog to PC since I missed out on lot of their output back then.

Awesome, keep them coming NIS. PC is a great platform for these games, hopefully it means I can put some time into them now!

Wild arm 3 was released yesterday on ps4, I remember playing it and getting really annoyed because when you were on the world map you had to send out signals in order to find places on the map and I gave up on it in the end, wish I hadn't.

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered arrived today, not sure when I will get time to play it again though.

New Atelier game is being announced in next weeks Dengeki Playstation

hopefully it finally ties up the dusk saga

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Wild arm 3 was released yesterday on ps4, I remember playing it and getting really annoyed because when you were on the world map you had to send out signals in order to find places on the map and I gave up on it in the end, wish I hadn't.

I bought it myself, I really liked the start of it when I got it on the PS3 but about an hour into it I hit a massive difficult spike that young RedXIV couldn't deal with. Am hoping I'm a bit more resilient this time :D
    Xenji wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles Remastered arrived today, not sure when I will get time to play it again though.

Mine arrived this morning too! Am looking forward to booting it up, it's been ages!

• Advertisement

Seeing is believing, and I have very little faith in Sega Europe at the moment.
    Titles from Japanese games giant Atlus could be coming to Europe by way of Sega.

Atlus’ releases were previously launched in the UK and Europe by NIS America. However, following the finalisation of Sega’s purchase of Atlus, relations with NIS America have become strained and the two terminated their relationship in April.

This left many UK fans wondering how these titles – including eagerly-awaited upcoming JRPG Persona 5 – would be coming out in the region.

“We’re very interested in bringing all of the group’s Japanese content not just to the West, but to Europe in particular,” SVP of commercial publishing John Clark said.

“We are always trying to find a way. And that’s an on-going process. That’s something we are continually assessing and talking to and if there are really strong opportunities to support the Japanese content in Europe, we’ll do it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Good old Amazon preorder price promise. Another retailer in Germany dropped the price of Fire Emblem down to €80 so I will be getting a €10 refund on it in a couple of days.

XSeed have announced Xanadu Next is coming to PC this summer. Apparently it's the best action RPG ever and an incredible game. Hopefully it means there's news of Tokyo Xanadu coming as well, Tom has been hinting at it for a while.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    XSeed have announced Xanadu Next is coming to PC this summer. Apparently it's the best action RPG ever and an incredible game. Hopefully it means there's news of Tokyo Xanadu coming as well, Tom has been hinting at it for a while.

Who's Tom? :o

Who's Tom? :o

He works for XSeed. Whenever he's talking about a game on hg101 or elsewhere it usually means he is begging for the chance to localise it. It's him you can thank for all the Ys games and Trails.

The new Atelier game is called Atelier Firis: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Journey

This game wont actually be based around an Atelier in a central location, it's going to be more of a classic JRPG where you adventure across the land visiting towns and locations. The fields will be much larger than in previous Atelier games.

The story will be changed by your actions through the adventure, these wont be simple dialogue box choice options but more practical choices like building or repairing something to open a path or taking a more dangerous route instead

2jwIsRX.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/atelier-firis-announced-ps4-ps-vita

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Are there any actual mechanical changes in Valkyria Chronicles Remaster (PS4)?

Also, anyone try the Gallian Crossfire mod yet?

Also:
    http://valkyria.sega.com/vcr/survey/
    Here's where you can write a request for localization/ports of other Valkyria series titles.
    (We aren't going to pretend that's not why you are filling out this survey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Also:

I've only done the first two missions but it doesn't appear to have changed from the PS3 version. Not sure if I'd try the mod, the game gave me enough challenges near the end of the first playthrough.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Also:

It is the same gameplay wise, the remaster actually performed the best on the PS4 according Digital Foundry.

Advertisement