Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some good deals on playasia this week. SMT Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls all less than 15 euros with free shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Is there any way to get those NTSC copies to play on a PAL PS2? Some kind of quick and easy soft-mod that doesn't involve ripping discs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can buy a swap disk but I'd recommend the hard disk PS2 mod since it means you save on laser wear and get better load times.

FreeMCBoot might be another good software method and you can do the HD mod off it.

Yeah, I have freemcboot. Just don't like having my PS2 collection a bunch of iso on a hard drive:(. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

So, apparently Square Enix will be making Drakengard 3. I'm quite surprised, after Cavia went, I thought we'd be more likely to get a new Suikoden game from Konami than another Drakengard game.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a weird one alright. I hope it's more like Nier which was great. Both Drakengards despite their weirdness and great writing were terrible to play.

Access games will be making Drakengard 3. They made Deadly Premonition. It has gone from meh to potentially the best game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Final Fantasy X HD will come with X-2 on PS3

Final Fantasy X HD on the PlayStation will include a second game as part of the package—its direct sequel Final Fantasy X-2. The news comes via a report in Jump magazine. Both games will be based on their International Edition releases.

On the PlayStation Vita, both titles will have to be purchased separately. The two games are slated for release sometime this year. A price has not been announced either for the PS3 or Vita versions yet.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/19/final-fantasy-x-hd-on-ps3-will-include-final-fantasy-x-2/#Wi1sIj7EqTFoH46R.99

Not sure which to go for now. I was very excited about getting FFX on the Vita but knowing me I'll go for the value for money route and get both on the PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Good deal. Don't know if I'll get it though, already spent way too many hours playing Blitz-ball...

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm going by japanese reviews and the fanbases reaction to the game. Most western reviewers just don't know what they are talking about when it comes to JRPGs anymore. A far as I'm aware Graces F has what is regarded as the best battle system in the series. Not sure about the story but it's never been a strong point or focus of the series.

I'd never played a Tales game before and started Graces F recently. I wasn't sure about it but for anyone on the fence I'd say definitely go for it. The battle system is excellent and the pacing is tight. The crafting (dualising) system seems excellent so far too. Despite being an enhanced Wii port in HD it also looks beautiful. The music is nice and seems to fit well too.

I like the characters so far too, in the sense that they draw you into the story. I'm not far enough in to have formed an opinion on the story. It's no Final Fantasy VII but it is engaging.

A minor negative is the intro music when you start the game up. It is the cheesiest thing I've ever heard, woeful to the point that I'm jamming start to get to the title screen so. I was worried it'd be a bit childish and it is a bit at the start but not enough to become annoying. It's chidish nature is appropriate given the characters age at that time (child arc).

I actually swapped Ni No Kuni for it and am enjoying it far more that that. For me that game is overrated (apart from the art and music). The battle and crafting systems are far better and I prefer the story so far too but I may be in the minority on that one.

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting for fire emblem to come back in stock for playasia to send my order with ni no kuni so could be a month before I get it but the impressions I've read from people I'd trust is that outside the art it's pretty bland.

In bizarre localisation news of the month Carnage Heart EXA was released on US PSN this week. I didn't even know this was coming out.

X-2 in HD is nice and all, but it's a fairly forgettable game that I wouldn't care much about returning to. I wish they'd give the Zodiac re-release of XII a HD port over. The enhancements in that made the game a lot more interesting and they actually give you a reason to hunt the stupidly rare weapons.

I must get back to FFX-2. It might have pissed all over FFX in terms of what it did to the characters but it was fun. What put me off it was I learnt halfway through the game that there was a huge amount of stuff I had missed and couldn't return to. I was a bit OCD about seeing everything a game has to offer and getting all the secrets and endings at the time and it put me off the game. Now that I've matured an awful lot I'd like to go back and just enjoy it for what it is.

You can't 100% X-2 without a guide and you can't 100% it except on a second playthrough. One of the things I hated about it. It's tedious **** of the highest order.

I'm just planning on beating it and watching the second ending on youtube, although I heard it's a total cop out and ruins how brave the ending of the first game was.

It's diabolical. Way worse when they brought Sephiroth back in Advent Children. I don't know if you know this either but (minor)
    they also tried to establish a link between the worlds of VII and X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm just planning on beating it and watching the second ending on youtube, although I heard it's a total cop out and ruins how brave the ending of the first game was.

Yup. It's a shame really. X-2 could have been a truly great game if it wasn't tied to a pre existing universe.

I'm still waiting for fire emblem to come back in stock for playasia to send my order with ni no kuni so could be a month before I get it but the impressions I've read from people I'd trust is that outside the art it's pretty bland.

Yeah, I won't go into it now, you'll form your own opinions but I'd agree with that. Sparkles at first but rapidly lost its shine for me. I was playing FF IX at the time too and found myself always wanting to play that instead.
    snausages wrote: »
    You can't 100% X-2 without a guide and you can't 100% it except on a second playthrough. One of the things I hated about it. It's tedious **** of the highest order.

This. You shouldn't have to play a game twice to be exposed to all the content. I wasn't gone on in anyway. X was the last one I enjoyed. Completely lost interest in Final Fantasy after XIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone buy Atelier Totori for Vita yet, I always meant to pick up the PS3 version but HMV was the only place to stock it and it never went down in price, is it worth the price tag of €39.99 on Vita.

• Advertisement

More FFXHD stuff. It looks really good. Who'd have thought that Square would be the ones to buck the trend and actually put some effort in a HD re-release?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527949

The FMVs are cropped, annoyingly. They look HD though so they're probably not just ripped from the PS2 iso or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

snausages wrote: »
    More FFXHD stuff. It looks really good. Who'd have thought that Square would be the ones to buck the trend and actually put some effort in a HD re-release?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527949

The FMVs are cropped, annoyingly. They look HD though so they're probably not just ripped from the PS2 iso or something like that.

No love for Halo Anniversary?

Anyone buy Atelier Totori for Vita yet, I always meant to pick up the PS3 version but HMV was the only place to stock it and it never went down in price, is it worth the price tag of €39.99 on Vita.

Is it even getting a western release? A friend of mine loves the game but it is part of a trilogy and seeing the story and characters evolve during the three games is part of what he loves so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is it even getting a western release? A friend of mine loves the game but it is part of a trilogy and seeing the story and characters evolve during the three games is part of what he loves so much about it.

It's on the PSN now, was a sneak release this past Wednesday, I need to buy a new memory card in order to have space for it myself.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/addons/atelier-totori-plus-with-bonus-/cid=EP4108-PCSB00291_00-B000000000000269

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's on the PSN now, was a sneak release this past Wednesday, I need to buy a new memory card in order to have space for it myself.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/addons/atelier-totori-plus-with-bonus-/cid=EP4108-PCSB00291_00-B000000000000269

Lets us know what you think.was tempted to get it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/25/phantasy-star-online-2-delayed-in-the-west-confirms-sega/

So PSO2 has been officialy delayed to release over here. While sad, at least we have some info on where it was, rather than the blackout since last year.

Square Enix's president has stepped down and is being replaced, they are expecting to make massive losses this year. I'd say it's down to Dragon Quest X and FFXIV underperforming spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

http://www.destructoid.com/etrian-odyssey-remake-coming-to-the-3ds-this-year-249683.phtml

Etrian Odyssey 1 is getting remade for the 3DS, with new stuuf and a reworked soundtrack.

Find myself tempted by IV if I ever get a 3DS purely for the fact you draw your own map :D

I finished EO 1 recently. It's honestly one of the best games I've ever played. EO4 is meant to be better and little bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Square Enix's president has stepped down and is being replaced, they are expecting to make massive losses this year. I'd say it's down to Dragon Quest X and FFXIV underperforming spectacularly.

X has already made back it's development costs apparently.
    Interesting to see the first Etrian Oddessy is being remade as a more story based game. I plan on getting IV since I generally like dungeon crawlers apart from the actual difficulty. IV seem like a good start from what I've heard.

Advertisement