Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its not the ps4 one , theres no plans currently to bring that over to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Deep Silver look to be taking over publishing ATLUS games including SEGA games like 7th Dragon so it looks like nothing should fall through the cracks from the NISA break up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Fyi if anyone is looking to pick up Star Ocean 5 it is currently €40 for the standard edition on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Interested in playing something new on Vita and the store has some jrpgs featured right now. A few caught my eye that I've never played;

Trails of Cold Steel
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
    Tales of Hearts R
    Disgaea 4
    Ys: Memories of Celceta
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

Any recommendations from among those?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are interested in FF Tactics then play Tactics Ogre instead. FF Tactics is amazing but the PSP version of Tactics Ogre is even better (made by mostly the same team as well so it's very similar).

Trails is awesome but can be very text heavy so doesn't suit everyone and is slow to get going.

Tales of Hearts R is mediocre
    Disgaea can be an acquired test.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 I enjoyed despite the god awful story. Sunk 120 hours into it.

Ys Celceta like all the Ys games is an absolute blast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

abelard wrote: »
    Interested in playing something new on Vita and the store has some jrpgs featured right now. A few caught my eye that I've never played;

Trails of Cold Steel
    Tales of Hearts R
    Disgaea 4
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

Trails of cs
    YS MOC

are the two I would pick personally, haven't played the others bar ToHR Which I would avoid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trails of cs
    YS MOC

are the two I would pick personally, haven't played the others bar ToHR Which I would avoid.

You've not played FFT or Tactics Ogre? :O

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You've not played FFT or Tactics Ogre? :O

I haven't

*bows head in shame*

:o:D

I haven't

*bows head in shame*

:o:D

FF Tactics: Officially the secret best Final Fantasy.

I need to go back and restart Tactics ogre and beat it this time... sssshhhhuuuusssshhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Trails of Cold Steel
    Tales of Hearts R
    Disgaea 4
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

Trails
    Disgaea
    YS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Trails of Cold Steel
    Tales of Hearts R
    Disgaea 4
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

Get Trails and Ys, specifically avoid Valkyria 2

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Get Trails and Ys, specifically avoid Valkyria 2

Avoid Valkyria 2?

Sure the story is complete and utter scutter but the gameplay is solid. I really enjoyed the missions in the game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Avoid Valkyria 2?

Sure the story is complete and utter scutter but the gameplay is solid. I really enjoyed the missions in the game.

The missions are terrible, tiny repetitive little maps used over and over, no large unique maps, no massive set pieces, almost every boss is a fake valkyrur.

Valkyria 2 is like homeopathic Valkyria, you're arguing it's good based on containing traces of memories of Valkyria :pac:

Fair enough. I found the gameplay solid and rather enjoyed it myself now. Got me through writing my PhD thesis where I'd play it for 2 hours before bed every night which was the only break I had so I'm very grateful to the game for keeping me sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Thanks for the responses, looks like Trails and Ys are the way to go for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Thanks for the responses, looks like Trails and Ys are the way to go for now!

Think both Ys:Memories of Celceta and Cold Steel are down in price until Tuesday as part of the Big in Japan sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana if you are going down that route :) Definitely found Celceta one of the weaker entries in the series - Felghana is a much more focused and enjoyable IMO!

I got omege quintet in the sale for 10 euro, hope its good.

I got omege quintet in the sale for 10 euro, hope its good.

I got it for 6 dollars a few weeks ago, it's ok. I'm not really a fan of idol stuff but the battle system borrows heavily from the Trails series and the dungeons have a Breath of Fire/metroidvania style system where every character has a unique ability for getting into new places.

The story has a great sense of humour for the first few chapters but when it tries to become more serious it just becomes dull

7th Dragon 3DS looks great. Hope it doesn't take too long for Deep Silver to publish it over here.

• Advertisement

Anyone else looking forward to i am setsuna? I think the vita port got canncellled in europe and its only being released on ps4 now?

Anyone else looking forward to i am setsuna? I think the vita port got canncellled in europe and its only being released on ps4 now?

I am looking forward to it, it offers nothing new nor innovative, but it is grounded in old school traditions and has a nice length to it, everything about it from the graphics, to the battle system and story seem solid, the only issue seems to be with loading times.

Xenji wrote: »
    I am looking forward to it, it offers nothing new nor innovative, but it is grounded in old school traditions and has a nice length to it, everything about it from the graphics, to the battle system and story seem solid, the only issue seems to be with loading times.

Ya I like that it has old school mechanics and there won't be a vita release anytime soon in the west its ps4 only which is really disappointing actually.

Ya I like that it has old school mechanics and there won't be a vita release anytime soon in the west its ps4 only which is really disappointing actually.

Given the choice of getting a game that is on both the PS4 or Vita, I would nearly always go with the PS4 version, but after finishing up Grand Kingdom, which by the way was a fantastic game, I may have to rethink it as Grand Kingdom would of been the perfect game to play in bed at the end of the night like any of the Atelier games.

Xenji wrote: »
    Given the choice of getting a game that is on both the PS4 or Vita, I would nearly always go with the PS4 version, but after finishing up Grand Kingdom, which by the way was a fantastic game, I may have to rethink it as Grand Kingdom would of been the perfect game to play in bed at the end of the night like any of the Atelier games.

I have GK on the vita and its great :), a little tough though at times .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Noooooooooo! I was planning on picking this up for Vita!!!!

Incidentally is Grand Kingdom as good as it sounds?

40 quid is a bit steep for something that looks quite mobile-ish. According to the director the Vita version was purely for the domestic market since they couldn't afford not to and the game was designed with a larger screen in mind.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Noooooooooo! I was planning on picking this up for Vita!!!!

Incidentally is Grand Kingdom as good as it sounds?

Yes its a really cool game but the only thing I find annoying is if you get killed during a boss fight you have to do the entire mission again which is very annoying as you can't save while on the map.
    megaten wrote: »
    40 quid is a bit steep for something that looks quite mobile-ish. According to the director the Vita version was purely for the domestic market since they couldn't afford not to and the game was designed with a larger screen in mind.

Ya I was thinking i'll wait till it comes down in price.

Looks like Grandia 3 is coming to PS4 as a PS2 classic
    Hopefully Grandia 2 anniversary edition and Xtreme also follow

looking forward to replaying this one

• Advertisement

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Looks like Grandia 3 is coming to PS4 as a PS2 classic
    Hopefully Grandia 2 anniversary edition and Xtreme also follow

looking forward to replaying this one

U.S psn only I persume? :rolleyes:

Would love if Grandia 2 came.

Advertisement