Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grandia 3 is only ok. It's still got far and away the best JRPG combat system ever but this time you've got to drag around a bunch of the most insufferable fannys ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Grandia 3 is only ok. It's still got far and away the best JRPG combat system ever but this time you've got to drag around a bunch of the most insufferable fannys ever.

There's a ton of great characters in it, it's just a shame they leave you with the most boring ones in the end. Alonso and Miranda are fantastic, Emilious and Viletta have great stories, Schmidt's story is interesting, pretty much everyone but your main party

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

U.S psn only I persume? :rolleyes:

Would love if Grandia 2 came.

Grandia 2 is on PC though, and very easy to run.
    Even compatible with Dreamcast savegames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiren the Wanderer is out on Vita. Jeremy Parish has been raving about the series for years. It looks amazing as well, gorgeous genuine pixel art.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I saw an article on the US version of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse DLC, it'll be available for over a month after its realise. Any idea if we'll get all that too? Haven't even seen a release date yet though :l

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/03/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypses-dlc-schedule-revealed/

I know, it's kinda like this
    523552_10152136299465393_1487968607_n1.jpg

• Advertisement

Pretty sure we will get them all. The SMT4 DLC was mostly cosmetic items and ridiculously tough super bosses that you shouldn't even entertain going near until well into New Game +

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Tales of Berseria Demo up on the JP PSN store. Looks like the Zestiria camera issues are gone this time around, and using the right analog stick in battle to freely move the camera is a brilliant addition. Thank god they got this right. I just hope the battle system isn't as boring as Zestiria's, but from what I played in the demo, it feels improved. Battles feel way more fluid and the graphics are very nice. 4 face buttons for artes is a first in a Tales game, opens up interesting combo paths. I'm just hoping for a half decent storyline, good replay value and a game that isn't too short, 3 things Zestiria didn't do correctly. As tropey as the Tales games are I still really enjoy them, they usually have very addictive and fun gameplay with lots of sidequesting and good replay value for NG+

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

UK release date for Persona 5 confirmed as the 14th of Feb, just like the US. The Take Your Heart edition is also being released. http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/persona_5/news/persona_5s_uk_and_eu_release_date_is_february_14_2017_2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not surprising , but FF XV has been delayed till the end of November.

The price of Star Ocean 5 is dropping like a stone on Amazon, currently £22.85 for the standard edition if anyone is interested.

Also cheapest place for the Take Your Heart edition of Persona 5 is base.com at £70, use Parcel Motel as they are charging €4.16 for shipping plus the Irish VAT adjustment. GameStop are playing their usual sillybeggars and charging €20 above rrp at €110.

• Advertisement

Ouch, such a pity there probably won't be a Star Ocean 6 :/ Although it's kind of Square's fault for being stingy on the budget.

Cant really blame them though, I'm amazed SO5 got made at all after SO4 & Infinite Undiscovery

They also handicapped it by not releasing the PS4 remake of the PSP remake of SO2, the most widely loved entry in the series, to create positive buzz before release

Also cheapest place for the Take Your Heart edition of Persona 5 is base.com at £70, use Parcel Motel as they are charging €4.16 for shipping plus the Irish VAT adjustment. GameStop are playing their usual sillybeggars and charging €20 above rrp at €110.
    Thanks so much for that! I actually pre-ordered from Amazon before this post, I'm sure I could cancel if I want to. Have you used base.com before? Do I need to pay up front?

Thanks so much for that! I actually pre-ordered from Amazon before this post, I'm sure I could cancel if I want to. Have you used base.com before? Do I need to pay up front?

I use base quite often, payment is taken upon dispatch. Their shipping can be a little slow as the stuff usually comes from Switzerland, but still quicker than Zavvi with no risk of an unexpected customs charge.

I use base quite often, payment is taken upon dispatch. Their shipping can be a little slow as the stuff usually comes from Switzerland, but still quicker than Zavvi with no risk of an unexpected customs charge.
    Thanks so much sniper_samurai! I might actually change and use that instead, I don't mind if it's slow once it actually came lol

The price of Star Ocean 5 is dropping like a stone on Amazon, currently £22.85 for the standard edition if anyone is interested.

Thanks for that, ordered it the with Night of Azure and Atelier Sophie :)

I'm hoping the Atelier games make their way to PC at some point, Tecmo Koei have been pretty good so far at porting but nothing from Gust so far while Idea F*ck and NIS are porting nearly everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone play the Vita Shiren the Wanderer or Stella Glow on the 3DS? Looking to get something meaty on a handheld for an upcoming trip.

Anyone play the Vita Shiren the Wanderer or Stella Glow on the 3DS? Looking to get something meaty on a handheld for an upcoming trip.

I would go with Stella Glow, it is a solid game and I sunk around 70 hours into it, Shiren is a remake of an old SNES game and a spin off of the Mystery Dungeon series, it can be finished in around 15 hours so I would not really deem it meaty.

Xenji wrote: »
    I would go with Stella Glow, it is a solid game and I sunk around 70 hours into it, Shiren is a remake of an old SNES game and a spin off of the Mystery Dungeon series, it can be finished in around 15 hours so I would not really deem it meaty.

Pretty sure Shiren is a brand new entry in the series. Also it's supposed to be amazing, Jeremy parish is constantly gushing how the Shiren games are far better rogue likes than the recent influx of indie rogue type games.

Pretty sure Shiren is a brand new entry in the series. Also it's supposed to be amazing, Jeremy parish is constantly gushing how the Shiren games are far better rogue likes than the recent influx of indie rogue type games.

It originally came out in 1995, but was not released outside of Japan, the DS version is is basically a shinier port with 4 extra dungeons and some tweaked game mechanics.

Shiren the Wanderer 2 was the first original entry in the series, but was never localized, it is actually a prequel to the first game.

• Advertisement

Might be of no interest to anyone here but I saw this if you have a US PSN account
    The PlayStation Store’s latest Flash Sale kicked off today. While there are many titles available at good prices, there are several PSOne Classic Final Fantasy games available for $2.99 each.
    Final Fantasy V
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    ...The PSOne Classic Final Fantasy games are playable on PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PlayStation Portable.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/grab-classic-final-fantasy-games-super-cheap-2-99-psns-current-flash-sale/

Changed my pre-order to base and wanted to say thanks again sniper_samurai :) and it did say payment on dispatch

Tales of Zesteria for steam is going for dirt cheap from the us Namco bandai store. Was pretty easy to set up an account and buy it

Tales of Zesteria for steam is going for dirt cheap from the us Namco bandai store. Was pretty easy to set up an account and buy it

Speaking of, is anyone watching the anime. Its not bad, but the last two eps have been a prologue for Berseria which is a bit annoying.

Cygames and platinum games are developing an action RPG version of Granblue Fantasy, seems to be for PC

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/21/cygames-and-platinum-games-team-up-to-develop-new-fantasy-rpg-grandblue-fantasy-project-re-link/

Cygames are also creating a JRPG currently called Project Awakening for consoles

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/21/cygames-announces-project-awakening-for-current-gen-consoles/

good to see mobile developers moving over to big projects instead of vice versa

Speaking of, is anyone watching the anime. Its not bad, but the last two eps have been a prologue for Berseria which is a bit annoying.

I'm not going to bother with it, Tales is the same story recycled ad nausea at this stage.

Oh there's actually two worlds and the fates of each are intertwined because someone from the other world came to warn us about the dangers.

OH no we have to stop this xenophobia that is developing between the peoples of both worlds. We'll fix it with the power of friendship!

Nights Of Azure is getting a sequel, Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon will be released in Japan at the end of December.

The first game was so bland and repetitive and I was very surprised to see it actually opened better than any Atelier game in Japan, it might have a saving grace that Junichi Fujisaku is involved as a story supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Cygames and platinum games are developing an action RPG version of Granblue Fantasy, seems to be for PC

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/21/cygames-and-platinum-games-team-up-to-develop-new-fantasy-rpg-grandblue-fantasy-project-re-link/

I will be immensely sad if this doesn't make it out of Japan.

Nights of Azure 2 looks fantastic, loved the first game but always felt "I wish they borrowed some ideas from Ar Tonelico" and it looks like the sequel does with multiple routes for different women.

Gust actually announced another game too, called Blue Reflection. Dont know much about it yet but some people will be delighted to hear that Mel Kishida, character designer for the Arland trilogy is back for this game.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I will be immensely sad if this doesn't make it out of Japan.

It almost definitely will, they're pouring a ton of money in and want these games to be big

• Advertisement

Blue Reflection is the third and last project announced for Gusts "Beautiful Girls Festival" of games, Atelier Firis: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Journey is the first project and Nights Of Azure 2 is the second project.

Advertisement