Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I know Gust have to have their waifu games to keep the sales up but having an Atelier game in a "Beautiful Girls Festival" is a bit worrying. While the girls in those are usually waifu material in looks what I like in them is how well the female characters are developed in them as opposed to the raunchiness of a lot of other Gust games.

Also was there any mention about the Witch and the hundred Knight remake on PS4? I heard the original was a bit buggy and unfinished, was hoping the rerelease which fixed all that would get a western release. Did it even come out in Japan yet?

Edit: Ack, it already came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I know Gust have to have their waifu games to keep the sales up but having an Atelier game in a "Beautiful Girls Festival" is a bit worrying. While the girls in those are usually waifu material in looks what I like in them is how well the female characters are developed in them as opposed to the raunchiness of a lot of other Gust games.

Raunchiness and well developed characters are not mutually exclusive, the ladies in Ar Tonelico are extremely well developed, in fact far moreso than the Atelier games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh I know, but some times Ar tonelico can be a bit creepy. Despite the obligatory fan service swimwear events that always seems to happen Atelier games handle their characters with a bit more respect, well if you get what I'm saying. Well except Rorona.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Also was there any mention about the Witch and the hundred Knight remake on PS4? I heard the original was a bit buggy and unfinished, was hoping the rerelease which fixed all that would get a western release. Did it even come out in Japan yet?

Edit: Ack, it already came out!

The Witch And The Hundred Knights has some really messed up scenes and dialogue, not sure if it was dodgy localisation but I remember a scene where one character female character pukes blood after being threatened with being stabbed in the mouth repeatedly by a rather large pillar.

Yeah I heard its surprisingly nasty and the Witch is particularly horrible with no redeeming features. I heard some people couldn't relate to her at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Attack on titan was suppose to be out in the E.U today for vita but its not showing on the store for me but I've seen videos where its on the U.K Store :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Attack on titan was suppose to be out in the E.U today for vita but its not showing on the store for me but I've seen videos where its on the U.K Store :confused:.

Tecmo have addressed this on twitter. It is apparently held up by the Irish classification system and will appear as soon as it has passed.

Even the physical PS4 and Xbox One copies have been held back as its not available at GameStop and has a release date that is TBA.

Tl:dr same bs as Walking Dead S2.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/769121832695914496?s=09

Tecmo have addressed this on twitter. It is apparently held up by the Irish classification system and will appear as soon as it has passed.

Even the physical PS4 and Xbox One copies have been held back as its not available at GameStop and has a release date that is TBA.

Tl:dr same bs as Walking Dead S2.

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/769121832695914496?s=09

This hold up actually has me worried that the idiots here will ban Berserk Musou if they are on the fence about AoT. Berserk has much more questionable content.

Only place AoT is currently available is Steam, or the Xbox One using the reqional work around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wonder what has them questioning AOT?
    Berserk Musou

When is that due out?

I wonder what has them questioning AOT?

Berserk Musou

When is that due out?

Probably due to the low ages of the main cast.

Berserk is due in October in Japan, all Koei stated for elsewhere is Q4 which will probably slip due to the delay of the Japanese release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just incase anyone was interested, Shin Megami Tensei IV is €9.99 on the Ninty eshop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My sunday has been sitting on the couch playing SMT IV. It's great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Ive been meaning to pick up smt iv, is it a complicated rpg with all the monsters and weaknesses and the like?

Ive been meaning to pick up smt iv, is it a complicated rpg with all the monsters and weaknesses and the like?

If it is your first foray into the SMT series then it could be a bit of a challenge at first till you get a hang of things and yes you will have to learn about enemy weaknesses, but they will come second nature to you fairly quickly and the game is more rewardin

Nocturne is probably the most difficult SMT game and Raidou the easiest, SMT IV is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The start is really really difficult, at least I found it so, and it gets easier as you go along. So just stick with it. It's a super game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

It will be my first smt game coming off the taste that was tokyo mirage sessions, i really liked that game and wanted to give the series a go, another game that caught my eye was persona q, any advice on that?

It will be my first smt game coming off the taste that was tokyo mirage sessions, i really liked that game and wanted to give the series a go, another game that caught my eye was persona q, any advice on that?

I would play Persona 3&4 before playing Persona Q, although it is not mandatory that you do, but you will get more out of the game if you do.

SMT4 is actually a good place to start for a beginner. While the start of the game is quite difficult the game gets much easier after the first two bosses (far too easy in my opinion).

There's one piece of advice I'd give to a newbie. Unlike other (lesser :P) JRPGs where status buffs and debuffs are effectively a waste of time they are the most powerful abilities in SMT games and using them is nigh on essential. Focus on giving your MC status buff and debuff spells in the beginning game and you'll get out of the opening section relatively unscathed. Elemental spells are useful but the first boss is a nightmare without buffs and debuffs. People complain about the insane amount of grinding required to get through the beginning of the game but it's not true. You don't need any grinding with status buffs and debuffs.

My sunday has been sitting on the couch playing SMT IV. It's great!
    So glad, hopefully ye'll get to the new one too and I'll have someone to talk to about it :) lol. If you're stuck with anything I'm more than happy to help. I think if I can get through it most people can, it's kinda trial and error with weaknesses.
    Would recommend playing Persona if you haven't, I thought the social links were really fun.
    The start is really really difficult, at least I found it so, and it gets easier as you go along. So just stick with it. It's a super game.
    I found that too with 3Fes, P3P, Persona 4 and SMTIV. Keep at it.

I guess it's not strictly a jrpg but Earthlock: Festival Of Magic will go some way to filling the gap on Xbox , and it's for free too with games with gold.

Not expecting a lot from it but the price is right :D Oh it's also available for PC players I believe.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Nocturne is probably the most difficult SMT game and Raidou the easiest, SMT IV is probably somewhere in the middle.
    I had this on FB yesterday and didn't get much response, I got a good laugh from it.
    6c0.png
    Only watched Nocturne being played, don't know if I could hack it. I have PQ, Soul Hackers and Digital Devil Saga still there to play, I have some as digital download too to go through too.

Nocturne isn't too bad. Matador is a ball bag but if you have fog breath (lower agility by 2 levels) and Sukkaja to boost your agility he's easy enough.

If you want an easy enough time of it focus on status buffs/debuffs on the MC and make him a physical powerhouse. A combination of Focus and high level physical attacks will destroy most enemies and it's kind of the only set up that works on the final boss if you want the true demon ending.

1445629972163.png
    4254d78f115c986f64f8c5f2e6ea9767.png
    I'll stop tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah, loving SMT.

I've played Persona games before but never any of this series.

It's consumed me! Although the first boss
    Minotaur
    was a bitch until I started fusing demons with evade skills!

Sounds like they are putting a massive amount of work into the FF12 remake:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-and-why-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-is-getting-the-band-back-together-

Good to see Square also has all the original assets and aren't throwing away source code like they used to do. FF12 had awful sound quality so good to see they still have the original recordings to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Wzkeh9a.jpg

looks like Gust has one more project in the works and they say it's their biggest one. It's helmed by Akira Tsuchiya of Ar Tonelico and is in collaboration with Toei animation

maybe it'll be a media mix project consisting of anime and games

Sieghardt wrote: »
    maybe it'll be a media mix project consisting of anime and games
    So it'll be like that game Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day ? That's what I heard it was like but of course I could be wrong and that's fine. I have it there on my backlog so I didn't want to look into it too much.

So is resurrection the god eater game to start with?

So is resurrection the god eater game to start with?

Yeah, Resurrection is the remake of God Eater/Gods Eater Burst(1) afaik. Resurrection is also cross buy, but not Rage Burst for some reason.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Resurrection is the remake of God Eater/Gods Eater Burst(1) afaik. Resurrection is also cross buy, but not Rage Burst for some reason.

Got the PC version, I'm struggling for a reason to turn my PS4 on these days.

Advertisement