Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Started 20 minutes ago, but a Final Fantasy XV concert is taking place in the famous London Abbey Road Studios by Yoko Shimomura and the London Philharmonic Orchestra and is being live streamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse Gets Free 3DS Theme
    :O
    Atlus is giving everyone with a Nintendo 3DS in North America the opportunity to own a new Home Theme

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/08/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-gets-free-3ds-theme/
    It might come out here sure :), definitely want to get an NTSC new 3DS at some stage.
    Something nice if anyone has one already

Just incase anyone might be interested in watching the livestream
    Chrono Trigger and Xenogears writer Masato Kato’s new smartphone RPG Another Eden: The Cat Who Goes Beyond Time was announced last year, but we’re finally going to see more at this year’s Tokyo Game Show.
    The 6-hour livestream starts at 11:00am JST on September 17, 2016 and can be viewed over at NicoNico Live.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/09/chrono-trigger-xenogears-writers-smartphone-rpg-another-eden-tgs-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Good to know we will be seeing more and more games coming to steam according to Ken Berry.
    "We were probably one of the first publishers focusing on Japanese games to start publishing regularly on Steam, but now pretty much every single Japanese publisher is onboard, and it's fantastic for gamers because they are no longer limited by the console or country they're living in to be able to play the game they want," Berry said.

Bandai Namco, NIS America, Spike Chunsoft, Aksys Games, Idea Factory, and other companies specializing in JRPGs and other traditionally console-bound offerings have been bringing more and more niche content to Western audiences on Steam. Berry said that most of the titles XSEED winds up publishing are being developed now with a PC release in mind, even if they aren't (yet) planned for simultaneous launches with their console counterparts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trails in Cold Steel PC then? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't really play games on PC but I'm really happy about all these ports since its easily the best platform for longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Trails in Cold Steel PC then? :)

The Cold Steel games use PhyreEngine so they should be a relatively easy port to PC, if they want to do that, which they should, CS could really do with a PS4/PC release at least, PS3 & Vita is a bit limited these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Definitely going to get DQVII for the 3DS once it arrives, though I've stuff to trade to CEX so will wait until they have a copy or two. I tried to play it on a US PSOne when I was about 15 and completely bounced off it, so will give it another go now over a decade later!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS1 game is so slow and not great either. 3ds remake apparently makes massive changes for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm going to get DQ7 but 7th dragons's what I'm looking forward too since it looks like a more accessible EO, which is grand since I've gotten maybe 3/4 into EOIV and finding it to get more annoying that just difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I should NOT have watched the Persona 5 anime, I love all the characters already, makes the wait that much harder.

also God Wars was announced for a western release, yay

Sieghardt wrote: »
    I should NOT have watched the Persona 5 anime, I love all the characters already, makes the wait that much harder.
    That's exactly how I thought I would feel and was kinda in 2 minds about it, thanks for being the guinea pig :pac:. I've a feeling already I'll like Futaba Sakura, definitely the type of cosplay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

For a splash of nostalgia I picked up the Android port of FFIX. It's actually really nicely done with a "Continue" feature that auto saves as you enter a new area. This means if you walk into a room and then close the app, when you open it again tomorrow it picks right up as if you've just walked into that room.

Very nicely polished too. Thumbs up from Red

RedXIV wrote: »
    For a splash of nostalgia I picked up the Android port of FFIX. It's actually really nicely done with a "Continue" feature that auto saves as you enter a new area. This means if you walk into a room and then close the app, when you open it again tomorrow it picks right up as if you've just walked into that room.

Very nicely polished too. Thumbs up from Red
    That's really good, the autosave, what device are you playing it on?

Not a big deal but might be worth knowing so no ones surprised, I'd get a fright :pac:
    If a certain set of circumstances knock out your partner in one of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse’s final boss battles, you’ll encounter some untranslated Japanese text in the English version of the game.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/20/unlocalized-japanese-text-made-shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse/

Edit: Oops, posted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

That's really good, the autosave, what device are you playing it on?

Galaxy Note 4, lovely play on a phone this big :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Galaxy Note 4, lovely play on a phone this big :D
    I'm not sure my phone would cope, it's good but it's full of loads of other crap.
    I think I'd play it on a tablet, I have it on my vita though.
    Good to know, a good few friends are FF fans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anything good to be said for Star Ocean 5? It's €22.99 on PSN right now, but I'm guessing there's a reason for that.

Picked up Dragon Quest VII on 3DS and aside from the odd bit of showdown, it's great. A real slow-burner with a great atmosphere that's almost relaxing to play.

It's meant to have a decent enough battle system but everything else around it is anime generica.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anything good to be said for Star Ocean 5? It's €22.99 on PSN right now, but I'm guessing there's a reason for that.

Picked up Dragon Quest VII on 3DS and aside from the odd bit of showdown, it's great. A real slow-burner with a great atmosphere that's almost relaxing to play.

I enjoyed and would say its worth it at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Persona 5 has had the highest first week sales in Japan of any of the Persona series apparently. So that's good to hear.

Not really an indication of quality though since it's more because the Persona 4 anime made the series ridiculously popular. Still I've faith in Atlus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not really an indication of quality though since it's more because the Persona 4 anime made the series ridiculously popular. Still I've faith in Atlus :)

Famitsu gave it 39/40!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Persona 5 has had the highest first week sales in Japan of any of the Persona series apparently. So that's good to hear.

That was too be expected I guess seeing persona is very popular in Japan.

Cina wrote: »
    Famitsu gave it 39/40!

Unfortunately Famitsu aren't trustworthy at all, you can buy a good review from them with advertising revenue. At least they don't try to hide it and have admitted as much before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be surprised if Persona 5 was anything other than excellent, it really just radiates confidence from everything I've seen.

As an aside, decided to dig into Tokyo Mirage Sessions. The sheer amount of colour in the game is to be applauded - the lovingly vivid menu screen probably boasts more hues than the entirety of some AAA franchises :pac: I'm only a little bit in and it seems Shin Megami as usual for the most part, but hey expected as much.

As an aside, decided to dig into Tokyo Mirage Sessions. The sheer amount of colour in the game is to be applauded - the lovingly vivid menu screen probably boasts more hues than the entirety of some AAA franchises :pac: I'm only a little bit in and it seems Shin Megami as usual for the most part, but hey expected as much.
    When you're more into it I'd like to hear what you think of it. I haven't a WiiU yet but I really loved how bright and colorful it was and the gameplay videos I saw of the start and the first dungeon. Irs definitely something I want to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

When you're more into it I'd like to hear what you think of it. I haven't a WiiU yet but I really loved how bright and colorful it was and the gameplay videos I saw of the start and the first dungeon. Irs definitely something I want to get.

If you are after a disc copy try and grab it asap, its starting to go for pretty high prices due to the low print run.

• Advertisement

Nobody does menu UI better than Atlus.

Also I only recently figured out Tokyo Mirage Sessions is SMT backwards. I'm slow.

Advertisement