Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Yeah I was saying it was Sailor moon-y looks like it might be a bit like Persona too with the school stuff, I'm sure that's a dream recipe for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Its a hardcore dungeon crawler, I found it tough going.

I'm sure I will too but sure will get it out of my system. Never played a game in this genre. It was 60% off anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm sure I will too but sure will get it out of my system. Never played a game in this genre. It was 60% off anyway!

I wish i was better at the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Yeah I was saying it was Sailor moon-y looks like it might be a bit like Persona too with the school stuff, I'm sure that's a dream recipe for some people
    Definitely something I'd like, didn't see anything about it coming to the west yesterday from what I remember hopefully it does. I didn't think Yomwari would

Definitely something I'd like, didn't see anything about it coming to the west yesterday from what I remember hopefully it does. I didn't think Yomwari would

they want to put a little space betweem Nights of Azure 2, Atelier Firis and Blue Reflection, they'll all come west. Koei Tecmo has a seriously stacked schedule

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Like me!

they want to put a little space betweem Nights of Azure 2, Atelier Firis and Blue Reflection, they'll all come west. Koei Tecmo has a seriously stacked schedule
    That's great to hear! Can't think of anything other than Persona 5 that I'm looking forward to come out, thinking of getting Root Letter, it's out soon. Not that my backlog is so small I need more games of course :p but it's a nice feeling too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dragon Quest Builders is a lot of fun!

Anyone any interest in world of final fantasy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So after that Trails in the Sky ending I couldn't wait and have dived into Second Chapter. Just at the start of Chapter 1. They've really raised the difficulty of the enemy encounters which I like, there's a lot more tactics to beating them and more emphasis on using arts and skills.

Yes definitely interested in it. It's looks like some real old school light hearted fun!

• Advertisement

Blue Reflection ingame screenshots and details on the persona-ish school life aspects

Nights-of-Azure-2_2016_10-16-16_010.jpg

Nights of Azure screenshots and details of 4th character

Atelier Firis details on game flow from qualifying as an Alchemist in a traditional atelier style to adventuring the world in a classic JRPG style

It looks cute, I definitely want to play it at some point, I think I'll wait until after FFXV though, I think going into that filled with nostalgia for the old games would probably be a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I'm so far behind on Atelier games but some of Gust's new stuff is looking great.

megaten wrote: »
    I'm so far behind on Atelier games but some of Gust's new stuff is looking great.
    I got the first 3 in a bundle years ago and the 4th one, still haven't started them. Eventually I will, they look like good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Demos are up on PSN now!

Kinda excited for Touhou Genso Wanderer. Absolutely gutted there's no physical for Vita, I want all the extras. At least I saw in another video Suwako is there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kinda excited for Touhou Genso Wanderer. Absolutely gutted there's no physical for Vita, I want all the extras. At least I saw in another video Suwako is there

Is this set in the Touhou Project world as a ARPG or is it another Bullet Hell game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So after that Trails in the Sky ending I couldn't wait and have dived into Second Chapter. Just at the start of Chapter 1. They've really raised the difficulty of the enemy encounters which I like, there's a lot more tactics to beating them and more emphasis on using arts and skills.

Yes definitely interested in it. It's looks like some real old school light hearted fun!

I've reached the final dungeon of TiTS and I've totally lost the will to play it. It's a shame because I was really getting into the story but I just don't want to slog through the dungeon. Considering watching the end on YouTube and moving into SC. I really enjoyed it overall.

Last dungeon isn't all that bad. The chest enemies are annoying but Khloe's art that knocks down defence makes them way easier. Pity it's useless against the last boss. Also hope you have the Gladiator accessories that make gaining the power to do s-arts much easier. I had one on Khloe meaning she could pump out her stat debuff art every round.

Xenji wrote: »
    Is this set in the Touhou Project world as a ARPG or is it another Bullet Hell game.
    It's an RPG and I think there's like a platform one out around the same time but it looks a bit weird.
    Here’s an overview of each game:
    Touhou Genso Wanderer is a roguelike RPG set within the expansive Touhou Project which invites the player to play as Reimu, the Hakurei Shrine Maiden, to investigate the latest incident to take place in the world of Gensokyo. Along the way, you’ll encounter a variety of characters from the Touhou Project universe, discover mountains of loot—each piece of which is valuable thanks to the game’s item fusion system—and test your mettle with your favorite Touhou girl in tow as your adventuring partner in this approachable take on the roguelike genre.
    http://gematsu.com/2016/10/touhou-genso-wanderer-touhou-double-focus-launch-february-7-north-america-february-10-europe
    There's some info on the story in the about of the video I linked.

Last dungeon isn't all that bad. The chest enemies are annoying but Khloe's art that knocks down defence makes them way easier. Pity it's useless against the last boss. Also hope you have the Gladiator accessories that make gaining the power to do s-arts much easier. I had one on Khloe meaning she could pump out her stat debuff art every round.

Yeah I have the gladiator stuff. Might as well just play through it, I've made it this far.

Started Stranger of Sword City there. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Also started Disgaea 4 which is a lot of fun. Think I'll put a good bit of time into it. The Vita is such a good machine for this genre.

• Advertisement

Regarding Stranger of Sword City, if you want to play a Wizardry style game start with Etrian Odyssey. It might be a hardcore dungeon crawler with a vertical difficulty wall but it's also one that is totally modernised and a fantastic introduction to the genre. It will make these games make sense.

If you want to continue though dungeon crawlers are different from standard JRPG fare. You won't beat a dungeon in one shot, it will take numerous ones. You have to go in to the dungeon, get as far as you dare go and make sure you have an escape strategy. Each time you dive into the dungeon you'll get a little bit further until you beat it.

I've reached the final dungeon of TiTS and I've totally lost the will to play it. It's a shame because I was really getting into the story but I just don't want to slog through the dungeon. Considering watching the end on YouTube and moving into SC. I really enjoyed it overall.

Use magic users. everything in the final dungeon has really high physical defence for obvious reasons. Stick with it, the final fight and ending are REALLY worth it.

I found Etrian Odyssey IV to be great for understanding a lot of rpg concepts that I only had a flaky understanding of before like planning a party in advance and skill trees. Still got stuck in a room where I can't figure out how to dodge the FOE's though.

I found Etrian Odyssey IV to be great for understanding a lot of rpg concepts that I only had a flaky understanding of before like planning a party in advance and skill trees. Still got stuck in a room where I can't figure out how to dodge the FOE's though.

There's skills and items you can use to freeze or bait FOEs. It's probably what you needed.

There's skills and items you can use to freeze or bait FOEs. It's probably what you needed.

It's in-dungeon (A room with 3 plated chasers in EOIV)so I don't think there's any way to bait them.

By baiting them I mean you can use an item or skill and they will move to that position over 3 turns (at least in EO2). I had trouble in EO2 until I remembered a distant tutorial that said this and realised the game was trying to teach me how to use them so maybe this is what you need to get past that point?

Just beat Persona 4 Golden, what a game. Never beat the original PS2 even though I put 20 hours in and I'm glad I came back to the game.

Just beat Persona 4 Golden, what a game. Never beat the original PS2 even though I put 20 hours in and I'm glad I came back to the game.
    Are you ready for P5 then?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, glad I have a few months between them so I don't overdose.

Advertisement