Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Would anyone know where I could buy Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl for the 3DS? I had a look on Amazon, eBay and the NIS website with no luck.

I hope it hasn't suddenly become rare. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I could buy Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl for the 3DS? I had a look on Amazon, eBay and the NIS website with no luck.

Try here? https://m.pricespy.co.uk/product/2341868
    Axe Attorney gave me this site when I was looking for Tokyo Mirage (bought it through there and it arrived last week, looking forward to it)

Try here? https://m.pricespy.co.uk/product/2341868
    Axe Attorney gave me this site when I was looking for Tokyo Mirage (bought it through there and it arrived last week, looking forward to it)

Thanks! Good site that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Pac1Man wrote: »

Isn't that one around 10 euro in the eshop now? It might just be IV thats that cheap.

megaten wrote: »
    Isn't that one around 10 euro in the eshop now? It might just be IV thats that cheap.

You're right but it's not physical and I'm weird.

I'll think on it. It might be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very enthusiastic write up on early impressions of World of Final Fantasy by Jeremy Parish.

I had a feeling it would be great:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/world-of-final-fantasy-review-better-final-fantasy-meets-disney-than-kingdom-hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5 ReMIX to be released on PS4 March 31st.

Couldn't have come up with a better title or something could they? :pac:

Good to be able to play all the games on a single console despite how messy they can be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5 ReMIX to be released on PS4 March 31st.

Couldn't have come up with a better title or something could they? :pac:

Good to be able to play all the games on a single console despite how messy they can be.

In a series with a game called 358/2 days it's a relatively normal title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No game title will ever beat - Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going.

Xenji wrote: »
    No game title will ever beat - Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going.
    I actually forgot all about that :pac: thanks for the reminder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I played some FFXIII for the first time thursday morning. It was pretty fun!

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I played some FFXIII for the first time thursday morning. It was pretty fun!

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. The battle system is excellent, especially in boss fights. The only big problem is it doesn't lend itself to extended play. After about an hour or two it can get a bit tiring as you are fighting the same mob formations over and over. Story is also absolute garbage, even more so than usual for Final Fantasy. It's just a crap load of lore that makes no sense

Don't let it put you off the sequels. FFXIII-2 is a huge amount of fun and really inventive and FFXIII-3 is totally bananas and dare I say, a contender for the best in the series.

Just got an email from the Square webstore stating that orders of FFXV will be charged on Oct 31st.

Only got the email as I haven't cancelled my Deluxe Edition yet. Got a better deal buying the Day 1 from Base for £35 and the Kingsglaive Steelbook for £20. Will be losing some crappy cosmetic items and the awesome looking steelbook, but will be gaining Brotherhood on bluray.

If anyone is looking for God Eater 2 on ps4 its down to €30 until tomorrow on Zavvi.

The Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo is up on the Japanese PS Store, it has PS Pro options as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

hmm, not sure I want to play it though, it's the first hour or so of the game and saves dont transfer so it'd kind of ruin the experience when the game is so close anyway

Sieghardt wrote: »
    hmm, not sure I want to play it though, it's the first hour or so of the game and saves dont transfer so it'd kind of ruin the experience when the game is so close anyway

Yeah it is just the first half of chapter one and on easy mode.

" Gust shared the latest on Blue Reflection: Sword of the Girl Dancing in Illusion with the game’s first trailer and officially announced its release date of March 30, 2017 in Japan for PS4 and PS Vita. "
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/11/14/blue-reflections-first-trailer-shows-off-magic-girls-everyday-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally getting around to Dragon Quest VII and really enjoying it so far. I'm only four hours into it but haven't really found that complaints about the slow pace to be a factor for me at all - although I do know that the early stages have been streamlined slightly from PSOne to 3DS.

Finally getting around to Dragon Quest VII and really enjoying it so far. I'm only four hours into it but haven't really found that complaints about the slow pace to be a factor for me at all - although I do know that the early stages have been streamlined slightly from PSOne to 3DS.

Apparently they haven't really been. Jeremy Parish covered the game in retronauts and did a comparison. Said he had a new appreciation for the game and he commended the slow start due to just how good the character and world building were. I suppose back in the PS1 era with all the flashy Final Fantasy's and imitators around it didn't fly so well with what people expected from a RPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

People really dont give games with slow starts a chance, it's a real shame because some of my favourite games have really slow starts, Grandia, Mana Khemia, Suikoden 5, Yakuza 3, Tears to Tiara 2

Those monster designs & art for Blue Reflection are really good

bVdaLwvl.jpg

inRK0RXl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

FFXV has a one night only event in Odeon cinemas (Limerick and Charlestown) on November 22nd:
    ODEON says...
    Join us as ODEON presents ‘FINAL FANTASY XV: Road to Release', an exclusive, one night only event for fans to celebrate the upcoming launch of ‘FINAL FANTASY XV'®.

You'll have access to a broadcast of the IGN premiere event in London live on the big screen, and get a first look at previously unseen game footage and hear from the makers of the game from behind the scenes.

Next, experience the incredible CGI feature-length film, ‘Kingsglaive: FINAL FANTASY XV', featuring the voice talents of Aaron Paul and many more, complete with a special on-screen introduction from director Takeshi Nozue.

'FINAL FANTASY XV: Road to Release' is a must-see for any FINAL FANTASY fan, and all guests will receive goodie bags and the chance to win prizes. So book now and don’t miss out!

This event is age 15 & over due to the live nature of the IGN premiere. ID may be required for entry.

Event details and booking here:
    http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/final_fantasy_xv_road_to_release_presented_by_odeon/17008/

Get to see Kingsglaive in the cinema now :D

Hmm.... I'm wondering how much Squaresoft are expecting this game to sell. I'm guessing it's going to be a stupid number just to break even. I can see it being another Tomb Raider. Great game, great sales. Disappointing for Square.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I fear Final Fantasy XV is going the path of being all things to all people, without doing anything exceptionally. Obviously I'm only basing this on promo material and would be pleased to be proven wrong, but it definitely runs a risk of being a confused undertaking. It wants to be open world and linear. It wants to embrace Western tropes and anime excess. It wants to be relatively 'realistic' but also utterly fantastical - something that has led to what could border on an 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach to world and art design. The combat too wants to embrace real-time and turn-based elements, and like so many similar games threatens to be less satisfying than an approach favouring one over the other.

There's this fundamental and alienating iciness to the post-PS1 mainline Final Fantasy games that I find off-putting - high on technical competence but also dominated by weirdly off-putting and uninteresting art &world design. It's probably just a personal preference but I definitely get that sense off FFXV, compared to say the sheer confidence that exudes off say Persona 5 even in trailers.

Hopefully the final game is an achievement - certainly one of the things that was satisfying about the demo I played was seeing familiar spells and monsters brought to life in a way they haven't been before. The whole thing is an undeniably ambitious undertaking, and the road trip aspect in particular will be pretty neat if they pull it off. We'll see, but I think it'll need to boast a lot of surprises and depth to be the glorious return of a rather stodgy franchise.

When I hear people give out about new final fantasy games I implore them to give the ff13 sequels a try. 13-2 is heaps of fun despite the bad story and 13-3 is like a spiritual sequel to Valkyrie profile and a contender for secret best FF game.

As for ff15 I've no doubt it will be good since Nomura and his team were booted off it. Tabata and his team have a knack for saving disaster projects at square and make so really good real time battle systems. Hell they even made a kingdom hearts game that isn't god awful.

The only problem I see is the team so far has made good games but nothing exceptional which square really needs ff15 to be. They are very very lucky Persona 5 has been delayed and missed beating it to market in the west. I feel ff15 might sell less in Japan where persona seems way more popular now. In the west FF still holds a lot of weight but persona is not on the up here and if ff15 doesn't perform I can see the brand taking a big hit.

RedXIV wrote: »
    FFXV has a one night only event in Odeon cinemas (Limerick and Charlestown) on November 22nd:

Event details and booking here:
    http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/final_fantasy_xv_road_to_release_presented_by_odeon/17008/

Get to see Kingsglaive in the cinema now :D
    They're playing Your Name too, it's strange, great for me if course. Thanks for sharing!
    http://subtitled.yournamethemovie.co.uk/#latitude=52.664721&longitude=-8.623061&zoom=11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

How does Persona Q fair for someone who hasn't played a Persona game before?

I do love the Etrian Odyssey series in terms of exploration, map drawing and combat but will the story and premise of the game be lost on me?

Most of the fan service stuff would probably be lost on you. You might be better off trying strange journey instead which is an awesome SMT game built on the Etrian engine.

Or just play persona, seriously why have you not played them!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most of the fan service stuff would probably be lost on you. You might be better off trying strange journey instead which is an awesome SMT game built on the Etrian engine.

Or just play persona, seriously why have you not played them!

I know, belongs in the confessions thread.:o

I don't have the hardware to. I was hoping for some re-release on the PS4 but it doesn't look likely with #5 around the corner.

Advertisement