Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Toukiden 2 coming west in 2017, delighted too hear this, now if we could get confirmation that ys is coming too that would be great, Hoping we get a physical release for vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/15/toukiden-2-heading-west-spring-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Toukiden 2 coming west in 2017, delighted too hear this, now if we could get confirmation that ys is coming too that would be great, Hoping we get a physical release for vita.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/15/toukiden-2-heading-west-spring-2017/

I would assume Ys is coming seeing as it was shown at PSX.

Just finished smt4 apocalypse. Not overly impressed if I'm honest. Nowhere near as good as it's predecessor and one of the most frustrating final dungeons in any game. I really think atlus should have left the world of Mikado well alone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A friend of mine loved it but echoed your thoughts on the final dungeon saying it was a total pain in the arse. Also said the final boss was a ball bag as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A friend of mine loved it but echoed your thoughts on the final dungeon saying it was a total pain in the arse. Also said the final boss was a ball bag as well.

The final boss is a pain in the hole. I might have rated it higher if it wasn't for the fact I went straight from dragon quest 7 3ds to set. DQ7 is an absolute masterpiece imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just finished smt4 apocalypse. Not overly impressed if I'm honest. Nowhere near as good as it's predecessor and one of the most frustrating final dungeons in any game. I really think atlus should have left the world of Mikado well alone
    Ah no, I'm so sad to read that :( I was watching some Tokyo travel blog and was thinking of SMTIV and was excited to play SMTVF/A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Finally gotten into Atelier Rorona this month despite owning the whole Arland trilogy for years. I'm really enjoying it. It feels like the perfect game to relax on a weeknight with before going to bed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are very relaxing RPGs and short as well. Rorona is a lot of fun but probably the weakest of the PS3 games. Rorona is a bit of a weak protagonist compared to the much stronger females of the later games. She's just a bit.... dumb.

megaten wrote: »
    Finally gotten into Atelier Rorona this month despite owning the whole Arland trilogy for years. I'm really enjoying it. It feels like the perfect game to relax on a weeknight with before going to bed.
    I have Totori, Ayesha, Rorona and Meruru but haven't touched them. Good to know they're relaxing, always looking for those type of games especially after finishing something else. I'm in that limbo of what to play maybe I'll copy you, thanks Megaten.
    Was thinking of starting Tokyo Mirage but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They are very relaxing RPGs and short as well. Rorona is a lot of fun but probably the weakest of the PS3 games. Rorona is a bit of a weak protagonist compared to the much stronger females of the later games. She's just a bit.... dumb.

Rorona Plus is one of the best games, they did an amazing job of redoing the game, if anyone is playing Rorona these days they should make an effort to get that version of it. Rorona herself is a fantastic character, sure she's dumb but she's kind hearted and caring, which are far more important traits and which contrasts perfectly with Astrid who is a genius talent but became bitter and angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Rorona Plus is one of the best games, they did an amazing job of redoing the game, if anyone is playing Rorona these days they should make an effort to get that version of it. Rorona herself is a fantastic character, sure she's dumb but she's kind hearted and caring, which are far more important traits and which contrasts perfectly with Astrid who is a genius talent but became bitter and angry.

I'm playing the plus version, I played a bit of the original years ago but don't remember much.
    I don't find Rorona stupid at all? She's seem pretty normal to me. I think the premise of the game where she's essentially thrown in the deep end by Astrid make her seem less intelligent.

I did find Rorona a lot of fun but mostly laughing at the silly things she did. Astrid herself said
    she choose her because she's a 'Dumb dumb'
    . She's a good comedy character but I found a bit too otaku pandering and weaker compared to later Atelier heroines, Totori, Meruru and Ayesha I found a lot better developed and fleshed out.

Atelier Firis just announced for a March 7th release in the west, I wasnt expecting it so soon, I have no idea how I'm going to buy and play all these games in early 2017, might have to make some hard decisions!

Was plus on Vita? I'll make a note of that. I'll probably love Rorona so, she's much like myself :p lol.

Was plus on Vita? I'll make a note of that. I'll probably love Rorona so, she's much like myself :p lol.

Yeah plus is on Vita, it has an added postgame section I recommend playing AFTER Totori and Meruru too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like Studio Zero's first game will be a traditional epic RPG directed by Katsura Hashino going by twitter translations.

58579e78e9319.jpg

Yeah plus is on Vita, it has an added postgame section I recommend playing AFTER Totori and Meruru too
    Play just post game after Totori and Meruru, or the whole game?

Play just post game after Totori and Meruru, or the whole game?

just the post game, if you want the best possible experience you want to just play through Rorona, then get the true ending for Totori then play Meruru, then go back to Rorona postgame

Thanks so much Sieghardt.

Just want to say, ye are always so kind to help me when I ask stuff and I really appreciate it for ye taking time out to reply to my many many many questions. No new year's resolution to stop asking stuff lol.

It looks like Suikoden II was meant to have a new game plus mode that ended up being cut, a few players dissembled the game and it makes sense seeing that you were given items after the last boss that you could never use which I always found odd.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Sieghardt.

Just want to say, ye are always so kind to help me when I ask stuff and I really appreciate it for ye taking time out to reply to my many many many questions. No new year's resolution to stop asking stuff lol.

No problem at all lol, no need to stop asking, I'm happy to answer!

No problem at all lol, no need to stop asking, I'm happy to answer!
    Edited: Good to know :) Thanks Sieghardt!
    I had to say "ye" (in the other post) if I left someone out I'd feel awful.

The NieR Automata demo is live now on the Playstation store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nier is great! I was expecting another Platinum Games-esque mindless button masher but it has some nice gameplay variation. Intriguing story too.

tumblr_o0jzt9nqHH1rpcwcro1_1280.png

The Nier Automata demo is very promising, loved it, even though I totally hated Nier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'll be getting Dragon Quest VII for Xmas, anyone played through it on 3DS, any good? Anything I should know going in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I'll be getting Dragon Quest VII for Xmas, anyone played through it on 3DS, any good? Anything I should know going in?

Prepare for a loooong game! other than that, when you get around 30 hours in you get to
    change classes
    but it is a very good game worth the time imo.

Give it time, the game really takes about 20 hours to start getting really good, also avoid early game grinding, it will have a knock on effect on a certain mechanic you access later in the game.

• Advertisement

a new Valkyria Chronicles SRPG in the style of the older games will be announced in 2017

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/27/valkyria-chronicles-series-director-hopes-announce-something-new-2017/

Great news and a very smart move as it takes a huge amount of weight off the shoulders of Revolution

Advertisement