Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say the lack of Star Ocean news is more down to the complete failure of the last Star Ocean game.

exclusive rpgs generally dont do good anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say the lack of Star Ocean news is more down to the complete failure of the last Star Ocean game.

Complete failure of the last TWO Star Ocean games and a half dozen other Tri Ace games. Almost every one of them having the same problems of weird ugly character models, awkward animation and terrible writing.

I dont understand how they didnt at any point just go "We should hire a writier"
    exclusive rpgs generally dont do good anymore

Not sure what you're basing that off of. Tri Ace's failures are all their own

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

tri-Ace did a very good job of Phantasy Star Nova, shame we will never see it over here, I think in the last 10 years or so Radiata Stories has been the only game I have enjoyed from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Tri Ace really need a budget to do well their Square Enix games have been obviously lacking a decent budget. The exceptions of course were the FF13 sequels which were great with the third in particular being exceptional. They can be hit or miss but when they nail it its magic although the tales lite star ocean series needs a major overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Etrian Odyssey IV is just so addictive. Almost 50 hours in and I'm still surprised at times.

It is one game where I actively cannot wait to dive into each time.

The hours just fly by which is also a testament to how well the 3DS is set up ergonomically. No cramps whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Etrian Odyssey IV is just so addictive. Almost 50 hours in and I'm still surprised at times.
    A buddy of mine is the same, he's stopped at 70 hours I think to play something else. Not sure if it was EO4 though. Too busy with course work for games ATM

A buddy of mine is the same, he's stopped at 70 hours I think to play something else. Not sure if it was EO4 though. Too busy with course work for games ATM

They have certainly perfected the formula, whatever that is. On paper it shouldn't add up though.

All you do is fight monsters, level up, buy new equipment, head for the next land and repeat! The game must tickle that part of the brain that loves progression or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love too try EO but I dont have a 3ds, sounds right up my alley.

I'd love too try EO but I dont have a 3ds, sounds right up my alley.
    Really? Some decent prices for them now. I dunno what I'd do without mine, I've spent so much time on PKMN Sun. I'd love to try EO too, I think I have one of them there unboxed on NDS.
    They have certainly perfected the formula, whatever that is. On paper it shouldn't add up though.

All you do is fight monsters, level up, buy new equipment, head for the next land and repeat! The game must tickle that part of the brain that loves progression or something.
    I'd say he'd go back again I think he has a few times. Chibi Robo is the same, on paper it makes no sense but it's brilliant, my favourite example.
    It has great music, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
    I'm very vague today! Sorry! :pac:
    Maybe it's that you got the hang of it and it's like a nice routine? I found that with Persona

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I preordered Persona 5 for the PS3.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's that you got the hang of it and it's like a nice routine? I found that with Persona

Yes that could have a lot to do with it. The relaxing music and map drawing, the endless exploration and the sound battle system make it great to jump back into.

It would definitely make my top ten games to take to the moon with me.

Yes that could have a lot to do with it. The relaxing music and map drawing, the endless exploration and the sound battle system make it great to jump back into.

It would definitely make my top ten games to take to the moon with me.
    Yeah it's comfortable, I know that feeling. It's fantastic to have a game like that. Hopefully it stays as enjoyable and you'll get another 20 hours at least, like my buddy did xD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I enjoyed my time with IV a lot. I'm just not sure if I want to try and get past were I was stuck or just move on and play untold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So got the bad ending on Nights of Azure. The end boss was pretty tough (I hate bosses that heal themselves!) and I had to grind a level to get the final weapon to help, although it was fun breaking the exp system.

Last boss was a cake walk compared to the first post game boss. It was 1 AM when I beat her. Really annoying use of status effects so you had to tailor your team. Those two bosses made me remember that there's a block button and you need it! I should have the post game and true ending by tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm even more interested have read the above :eek:

Beserk is a lot of fun , I was reading up on the golden arc anime over the weekend, sounds like an awesome story and kinda sad too.

I'm even more interested have read the above :eek:

Beserk is a lot of fun , I was reading up on the golden arc anime over the weekend, sounds like an awesome story and kinda sad too.

You would be better reading the manga, the movies leave a lot of stuff out, even the original series from the 90's does a better job with the arc than the movies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    You would be better reading the manga, the movies leave a lot of stuff out, even the original series from the 90's does a better job with the arc than the movies do.

Depends, the movies do a better job of the Eclipse than the series. Both leave out Wyald though which I'm actually ok with as I think that part would get it banned due to the excessive sexual violence.

As always though its probably best to go with the source material.

Depends, the movies do a better job of the Eclipse than the series. Both leave out Wyald though which I'm actually ok with as I think that part would get it banned due to the excessive sexual violence.

After the golden arc is that when things start too get really messed up?

Skipping over the first two and a half chapters of the Golden Age was what struck me the most, you miss the telling of Guts childhood and Gambino, also not that they could show some of it, but Cascas back story is largely ignored as well.

I agree about Wyald, he is a playable character though in the game, but there is none of the stuff with Casca.

Oh berserk is always messed up!

• Advertisement

Chronologically it starts getting really messed up towards the end of the Golden Age during
    Griffiths rescue
    , there are signs if it earlier though with
    Nosferatu Zodd

The manga is f'd up from pretty much the first panel as it starts after the Golden Age arc which doesn't begin until volume 3.
    Skipping over the first two and a half chapters of the Golden Age was what struck me the most, you miss the telling of Guts childhood and Gambino, also not that they could show some of it, but Cascas back story is largely ignored as well.

Yeah they're important for understanding Guts discomfort with people touching him. Can't show much of it at the same time though, even skirting it the sexual exploitation of minors is a difficult subject to address.

The next arc is Conviction, which is probably my favorite as it has a lot of character development in it and adds very memorable new characters, plus it includes probably the best moment in the series so far.

But the manga as a whole is a masterpiece, it has always been messed up from the start and will be till whenever Miura comes out of hiatus again, he is as bad as Togashi at this point.

The next arc is Conviction, which is probably my favorite as it has a lot of character development in it and adds very memorable new characters, plus it includes probably the best moment in the series so far.

But the manga as a whole is a masterpiece, it has always been messed up from the start and will be till whenever Miura comes out of hiatus again, he is as bad as Togashi at this point.

Pity it got butchered in the cg anime last year, still looking forward to the second half of the series in April though.

Should hopefully get another 3 chapters of the manga alongside it.

That's great info to know about the series, know a few fans but I thought it was only like only gory I wasn't sure to ask about it.
    I'm interested now that I'm reading yere posts, thanks.

That's great info to know about the series, know a few fans but I thought it was only like only gory I wasn't sure to ask about it.
    I'm interested now that I'm reading yere posts, thanks.

I watched an 8 minute clip that did turn my stomach last week , it happens at the end of the golden arc but despite that having read more about the series and having played the game I'm considering watching the anime series now.

Well that section is rough but it's meant to be, it's why Guts is so messed up and goes to such lengths to get his revenge.

Berserk is definitely dark, disturbing and gory but unlike say a lot of 80's anime where it's violence for the sake of violence, there's a lot more happening in Berserk. It's intelligently written with great characters and to be honest, I'd say a lot of the horrible stuff happening in it was par for the course during medieval warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Berserk is one of the things I'd go to whenever people are arguing for censorship, the worst, most horrific violence and sexual violence CAN be used really meaningfully in a story.

Of course when you have idiots labling the most innocent stuff like Atelier Totori as HIGH IMPACT SEXUAL VIOLENCE they're not gonna be sensible.
    Even just watching those last few episodes of Berserk, you get that feeling of betrayal, of everything built up over so long being destroyed, just a little bit of the anger Guts would have

I forgot nier is out next week

Yup, that platinum combat looks amazing. I'm hoping the PC version doesn't get delayed.

• Advertisement

No way to play the new one yet but haven't even started the first one either, I got it as a secret Santa present years ago I think. Absolutely love the OST though.

Advertisement