Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Looking forward to Nier but I probably won't get round to it until near the end of the year since I got to keep space for the 6 months it'll probably take me to play Persona 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

megaten wrote: »
    Looking forward to Nier but I probably won't get round to it until near the end of the year since I got to keep space for the 6 months it'll probably take me to play Persona 5.

I'd be very surprised if Nier is anymore than 8 hours long. That's a weekend of gaming.

I'll be lapping it up although Zelda might be getting in the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Nier is anymore than 8 hours long. That's a weekend of gaming.

8hrs ? Seems really short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

8hrs ? Seems really short.

If you expect Nier to be a RPG I think you'll be disappointed, it really looks like a Platinum action game (calling the original Nier a RPG would be a stretch as well). Most Platinum games are 6-8 hours long so going by that that is what it will be (perfect length for an action game).

However Platinum games are so good you'll probably spend a lot more time on it and harder difficulties usually change the game up significantly. for the 4-6 hour game Revengeneance is I think I put in about 40 hours across 2 formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It'l probably be quite short to complete to the A ending but very long to complete to the D or E ending, this is still a Yoko Taro game in the Drakengard/Nier universe so expect to spend a LONG time getting all the weapons and upgrading them to the max. Looking forward to seeing its incarnation of Iron Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It takes about 30-35 hours to get all the main endings, and as with all Taro games you do not get the full story of the game till you have all the endings, you can speed run the first ending in about 6 hours if you just focus on the story going by players who have had it since last week.

Nier took me about 35 hours to beat and there were 4 endings, this has 13 endings.

True, I forgot Nier had pretty much the best new game plus since Chrono Trigger and you didn't get half of what the game was about unless you played it.

Having to play with Platinums combat rather than the clunkiness of the first game should make the experience even smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone playing Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile? Not as bad as I thought it would be. Very polished and the monetization doesn't get in the way (although I've a feeling there's a PVP mode on the horizon and the pay to win element might creep in).

penev10 wrote: »
    Fire Emblem Heroes ... the monetization doesn't get in the way

It absolutely does, maybe you're not far enough in yet that it's hit you but it has all the scummy mobile crap from all the worst games, stamina bars, gachas, multiple currencies to do everything, it's all there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Sieghardt wrote: »
    It absolutely does, maybe you're not far enough in yet that it's hit you but it has all the scummy mobile crap from all the worst games, stamina bars, gachas, multiple currencies to do everything, it's all there

Its all there but I've several level 30+ characters (limit is 40) and haven't hit a pay wall yet. The stamina thing is annoying on the later levels but it recharges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I enjoyed it at first, but once you hit the last tier of the normal campaign and on towards hard it's a miserable experience. Insane amount of rare, premium or time-dependent currencies needed to progress, and it just becomes a horrible grind. Mario Run route FTW. Such a shame, because I think the actual combat has been well scaled down well enough for faster, vertical orientation gameplay. It's a decent spin-off destroyed by free to play bull****.

Nier: Automata is hitting Steam on St Patrick's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

"While the game has yet to be announced for the West, some English trophies for Blue Reflection has surfaced via Exophase. It doesn’t confirm a localization by any means, but it looks like there’s a good chance that we’ll get to try out the magical girl RPG sometime in the future in the West."
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/03/blue-reflection-gets-english-trophies-well-first-ps-vita-trailer/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"While the game has yet to be announced for the West, some English trophies for Blue Reflection has surfaced via Exophase. It doesn’t confirm a localization by any means, but it looks like there’s a good chance that we’ll get to try out the magical girl RPG sometime in the future in the West."
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/03/blue-reflection-gets-english-trophies-well-first-ps-vita-trailer/

Saw that on psnprofiles as well.

Saw that on psnprofiles as well.
    Delighted to see it, everytime I read about it I'm saying to myself "this is so a me game".
    The helping your friends bit made me think of the Bein Friends vocal from Earthbound

Nearly 10 years since its inital release 428: Shibuya Scramble is getting a resmaster for the PC and the PS4 in 2018 in the west, back when Famitsu were tougher on scores it got 40/40 only the 8th game at the time to get a perfect score.

I remember it came up in a localisation survey. Looks like they listened.

I remember it came up in a localisation survey. Looks like they listened.

It came second to Kenka Bancho Otome, but glad they went with this, it is up there with some of the best visual novels.

Tokyo Xanadu is coming out on the 30th of June on Vita, and Tokyo Xanadu eX will launch during Q4 on the PS4.

Summon knight 6 getting released on May 23rd for vita and ps4

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/summon-night-6-lost-borders-launches-may-23-west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

After 70 engrossing hours, I finally finished Etrian Odyssey IV.

Not a single minute felt like a chore or a slog which is astounding for a game that long. You just want to keep going!

The story is a bit non-existent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; you can put it down and return to it after a few weeks without missing a beat.

I'd say it's the best dungeon-crawler/amature cartographer crossover game out there.:D

Highly recommended.

What dungeon crawler would ye recommend for someone who hasn't played one before and has the impression he wouldn't like the genre?
    I have all iterations of the PlayStation plus megadrive, Saturn and 3ds at my disposal

What dungeon crawler would ye recommend for someone who hasn't played one before and has the impression he wouldn't like the genre?
    I have all iterations of the PlayStation plus megadrive, Saturn and 3ds at my disposal

Etrian Odyssey for sure. It's the most old school yet modern dungeon crawler you can get and got me into dungeon crawlers. Any iteration will do.

Hated the genre, now I can't get enough.

"We’ve seen magic girls, monster girls, ship girls, tank girls, car girls, and just about every kind of girls you could imagine… or so we thought. Shrine nerds, rejoice, we now have shrine maidens that are actual shrines."
    Sharing because it's ex SMT staff
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/15/new-game-by-former-shin-megami-tensei-staff-gives-a-literal-take-on-shrine-maidens/

I thought this was so funny (it might be just me tho and that's okay)

Ghostlight Games are bringing a port of Lost Dimension to the PC, it should be released later this year.

So I'm into the final chapter of Cold Steel. There is an absolutely absurd difficulty spike at the end of the previous chapter (imo), had to take the option to depower the enemies. Overall though I haven't burned through a game like this since Divinity:OS came out a few years back, just can't stop playing.

Watched some Blue Reflection videos last night. Have to say the game is looking incredible. Gust are pouring a huge amount of effort into it, more so than even the atelier games. It looks flat out gorgeous and the soundtrack is stunning. Getting a lot of Persona vibes off it as well. I'd say Gust are positioning it as a flagship franchise.

Watched some Blue Reflection videos last night. Have to say the game is looking incredible. Gust are pouring a huge amount of effort into it, more so than even the atelier games. It looks flat out gorgeous and the soundtrack is stunning. Getting a lot of Persona vibes off it as well. I'd say Gust are positioning it as a flagship franchise.

Ditto for Nights of Azure 2, the first game was a wonderful little experiment but it feels like they're going all out for the next game

Atelier Firis is similarly experimental and I hope they go all out for the next Atelier too

• Advertisement

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Ditto for Nights of Azure 2, the first game was a wonderful little experiment but it feels like they're going all out for the next game

Atelier Firis is similarly experimental and I hope they go all out for the next Atelier too

Tecmo Koei are probably pumping a bit more money into them. I just hope they move away from the Musou engine in Nights of Azure as it's plays havok with my 21:9 monitor.

Advertisement