Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Blue Reflection looks good but the usual floaty animations look even more out of place than they do in the Atelier games. I kind of feel a magical girl game should have much crisper animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Friend tagged me on this on Facebook, I'm so jelly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atlus are teasing a new Radiant Historia game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Etrian Odyssey for sure. It's the most old school yet modern dungeon crawler you can get and got me into dungeon crawlers. Any iteration will do.

Hated the genre, now I can't get enough.

I started Etrian Odyssey 4 last night. Think i lasted 45 minutes. Between the first person view, having to name every character and the make your own map mechanic i couldnt stick it. I'll have another shot at it soon enough but jaysus, I was well outta my depth:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started Etrian Odyssey 4 last night. Think i lasted 45 minutes. Between the first person view, having to name every character and the make your own map mechanic i couldnt stick it. I'll have another shot at it soon enough but jaysus, I was well outta my depth:pac:

Making your map is the best part. Your success depends on your map making skills.

One thing to remember is that EO isn't about barrelling into a dungeon and beating it in one go. It's about knowing when to get the hell out once you've pushed as far as you can go. You'll be making multiple trips into the dungeon and getting out before resources run out mapping a little more of the area each time and slowly making progress.

Always have two warp wires on you at all times. They instantly warp you out of the dungeon. There will come a time when you forget to buy them so having two will protect against that!

Also if you think you might be able to take on a FOE, you can't. They will ruin all your plans. Just run away.

Money is made by selling loot for enemies which helps shops sell better equipment. Also prepare to get very attached to those party members you created yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atlus are teasing a new Radiant Historia game.

It is going to be a remake of the original with a new sub history scenario, would of preferred a new game, but it never got an EU release so it is good that more people will get to play it, very underrated game.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is going to be a remake of the original with a new sub history scenario, would of preferred a new game, but it never got an EU release so it is good that more people will get to play it, very underrated game.
    I saw it around but never looked into it. What's it like as a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I saw it around but never looked into it. What's it like as a game?

It is your typical RPG fare, the battles are turn based and you can avoid encounters, the grid system the game uses it where it shines and makes you think about the battle and not just keep pressing the attack button over and over.

The story is quite interesting albeit very dialogue heavy, but the time traveling aspect and the non linearity of the game keeps it fresh, also it was probably the one of the best looking RPGs on the DS and had a fantastic soundtrack.

New Atlus game being announced tomorrow.

Xenji wrote: »
    The story is quite interesting albeit very dialogue heavy, but the time traveling aspect and the non linearity of the game keeps it fresh, also it was probably the one of the best looking RPGs on the DS and had a fantastic soundtrack.
    Dialogue heavy is grand once it's actually interesting. Since it's only teased now I'd probably have it clear before the new one. I'll keep an eye out for it.
    Good soundtrack is always s major plus.

• Advertisement

It might be what you read already.

"In addition to a new “Sub-History” scenario to go with the Stadnard History and Alternate History of Radiant Historia, fans will be pleased to hear about some of the additional new changes for the upcoming 3DS remake."

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/22/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-details-else-new-remake/

Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey Announced -

http://personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-deep-strange-journey-announced/

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Still no sign of Aegis Rim? Live you beautiful beast, live ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No. This is unacceptable. You are not out of your depth.

This was my first dungeon crawler and at the start I was a bit overwhelmed too. You don't have to understand everything straight away.

Naming your characters is not a stumbling block! Torvill, Dean, Pac1Man, Rosie & Jim. Done.

The map drawing is also handy enough once you use the same set of symbols for each map. I only used a handful. Place a marker of where your airship is and just walk. I found highlighting either edge of the pathway with the pen helpful.

You will come across sections in each dungeon (little gaps in the walls) were you can only pass through from the other side. Once you do this, you are free to pass through from either side. Mark these spots on the map too. This makes navigating the dungeon much easier if and when you need to return.

Sell everything. Don't leave a land until you can beat each FOE. Lower the difficulty level. Do loads of the side quests at the Dancing Peacock (?).

It's a long slog. It took me 70 hours but you are always progressing, even though it feels like you're not.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Naming your characters is not a stumbling block! Torvill, Dean, Pac1Man, Rosie & Jim. Done.
    It always takes me ages to pick names but I do love it. I usually pick Mamoru if the MC is male and don't like the default name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Finished Cold Steel.

Cold Steel II just happened to be on sale.

Couldn't resist.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    No. This is unacceptable. You are not out of your depth.

This was my first dungeon crawler and at the start I was a bit overwhelmed too. You don't have to understand everything straight away.

The map drawing is also handy enough once you use the same set of symbols for each map. I only used a handful. Place a marker of where your airship is and just walk. I found highlighting either edge of the pathway with the pen helpful.

You will come across sections in each dungeon (little gaps in the walls) were you can only pass through from the other side. Once you do this, you are free to pass through from either side. Mark these spots on the map too. This makes navigating the dungeon much easier if and when you need to return.

Sell everything. Don't leave a land until you can beat each FOE. Lower the difficulty level. Do loads of the side quests at the Dancing Peacock (?).

It's a long slog. It took me 70 hours but you are always progressing, even though it feels like you're not.
    Naming characters isnt a stumbling block for me, its just a serious pet peeve. i will make another shot at it sometime in the near future, its just so different to what im used to and what i expected. When i make another attempt at it ill keep ye all updated. its a genre thats always intrigued me and intimidated me at the same time Thanks for the tips:pac:

When i make another attempt at it ill keep ye all updated. its a genre thats always intrigued me and intimidated me at the same time Thanks for the tips:pac:
    Do keep updating, I'm in the same boat as well, the SS Intrigued and Intimidated lol.
    We can set up a cheer squad to keep you going, like in Ouedan :pac:
    tumblr_o9hluvSprZ1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cosmic star is Coming too PS 4 on April 11th at last,Vita version has been delayed ,what a surprise :rolleyes:

Do keep updating, I'm in the same boat as well, the SS Intrigued and Intimidated lol.
    We can set up a cheer squad to keep you going, like in Ouedan :pac:
    tumblr_o9hluvSprZ1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

I thought that game looked familiar. Elite beats predecessor?

• Advertisement

I thought that game looked familiar. Elite beats predecessor?
    Yep, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, EBA is the westernized version. Worth a play, there's no English text but it's not needed, few good songs in there (depending on your taste obvs).

"Gust held a big live stream event for their upcoming magical girl RPG, Blue Reflection, where they showcased new gameplay and announced a collaboration with Square Enix’s Final Fantasy XV."
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/29/final-fantasy-xv-collaboration-brings-aranea-cindy-costumes-blue-reflection/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Trails 3 was already confirmed for pc, xseed stated that it will not be released on psp.

Trails 3 was already confirmed for pc, xseed stated that it will not be released on psp.

They hadn't given us a release date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The animation in the new PS4 Dragon Quest is looking amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXlbhVVB7BU

Cute!

Dragon Quest XI Is Getting A PS4 Slime Controller By Hori In Japan

002_thumb-1.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/11/dragon-quest-xi-getting-ps4-slime-controller-hori-japan/

Cosmic star has been delayed in europe until next week and they uploaded the beta version in the states LOL.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzveLKQy8_dpTj6PR5NjR58Z5ZNKXx6F28NpRBALEEnC1MlY2i74mMxIA

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Really happy to see DQ11 is an actual proper turn based game, was worried it'd be another psuedo mmo style mess of a combat system

• Advertisement

I actually prefer how it looks on 3DS. The weird mix of 16-bit and 32 bit visuals are so charming and I prefer them to the CGI film look of the PS4 version.

Pretty sure the 3DS version will sell way more than any other version in japan and we will never see it here.

Advertisement