Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually prefer how it looks on 3DS.

*raises eyebrow suspiciously*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

*raises eyebrow suspiciously*

I just like the way you get the two different aesthetics on two different screens. There's nothing else like it.

The PS4 game reminds me of Blue Dragon. It looks really plastic. There's something about the way it looks, every Unreal 4 engine game seems to look the same and DQ11 has it as well. I'd rather a cell shaded aesthetic than this CGI feature film one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I like they clay-like look the PS4 version has. I can't get over how good the enemy animation looks ethier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ghostlight are bringing Omega Quintet to Steam if anyone is desperate enough to play it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Ghostlight are bringing Omega Quintet to Steam if anyone is desperate enough to play it.

I brought it ages ago in a sale on psn, Is it any good?

• Advertisement

I brought it ages ago in a sale on psn, Is it any good?

It is meant to be pretty awful, the battle system looks interesting if you are willing to put the time into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'd like to get Dragon Quest on the 3DS. Portables are more handy for me, I don't like hogging the tv and the only time I get to play on it is when everyone else is in bed. This is why I haven't started Persona 5 yet.

But it and Bravely Default (when it arrives) are going to take up all my jrpg time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'd like to get Dragon Quest on the 3DS. Portables are more handy for me, I don't like hogging the tv and the only time I get to play on it is when everyone else is in bed. This is why I haven't started Persona 5 yet.

But it and Bravely Default (when it arrives) are going to take up all my jrpg time.

Vita plus remote play may be the way to go here then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Didn't know the new dragon quest game was out so soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't know the new dragon quest game was out so soon.

I'm japan. Don't think there was a western announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

WHat is the best Shin Megami Tensei game to start with?
    On 3DS, is it best to go with SMT IV: Apocalypse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 YattaYenta

ERG89 wrote: »

Apocalypse is the sequel to an earlier game (titled simply Shin Megami Tensei IV, on eShop) so I wouldn't say to start with that. Persona 3-5 are good entries into the series as a whole but I'm not sure if they're representative of what makes it so distinctive. SMT IV should do you fine

I'm japan. Don't think there was a western announcement.

I'm talking about dragon quest heros 2 , it's out on the 28th.

ERG89 wrote: »

I would start with Nocturne, the game can be tough but it will give you a good introduction to some of the main mechanics of the series, as mentioned above Apocalypse is a sequel to SMT IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

YattaYenta wrote: »
    Persona 3-5 are good entries into the series as a whole but I'm not sure if they're representative of what makes it so distinctive. SMT IV should do you fine
    My first and only SMT was SMTIV, probably helped playing Persona first and learned a bit from it. I found it a lot easier than Persona 3/4 because there's less to focus on.
    So I'd agree IV isn't a bad place to start.
    Hope that helps at all ERG89.
    I would start with Nocturne, the game can be tough but it will give you a good introduction to some of the main mechanics of the series
    I thought Nocturne was meant to be the hardest no? That's why I avoided it.

I thought Nocturne was meant to be the hardest no? That's why I avoided it.

I would say Devil Survivor is the hardest, Nocturne like all SMT games is not that difficult on normal if you are familiar with the demons and their elements and make use of your buffs and debuffs, Matador gives the game a bad reputation as people struggled to get past him.

Bandai Namco and the team behind the God Eater series are bringing out a new dungeon crawling aRPG next year, the full trailer for Code Vein will be out on Thursday.

Hopefully it will get a vita release but I doubt it somehow.

I would say Devil Survivor is the hardest, Nocturne like all SMT games is not that difficult on normal if you are familiar with the demons and their elements and make use of your buffs and debuffs, Matador gives the game a bad reputation as people struggled to get past him.

Matador is only tough if you aren't used to SMT. SMT veterans like myself go in with agility buffs and debuffs and destroy him. I still say it's not the best place to start as it can give newbies a hard time but it's also a good place to learn the systems if you stick with it.

SMT 4 is a good starting point. It starts tough but is manageable but gets very easy after the first 2 bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Ah! Devil Summoner I have, Soul Hackers, 1 and 2 on PS2 is it very hard? Other than SMTIV I haven't played any others that I have, Digital Devil or PQ.

Oh yeah I forgot about Matador! Easy to know I haven't played it lol.
    6c0.png

• Advertisement

I have no experience with devil summoner or smt, would love if they came to vita but it will never happen.

I have no experience with devil summoner or smt, would love if they came to vita but it will never happen.

Why the feck have you not got a 3DS?

Why the feck have you not got a 3DS?

I'm getting one soon for Etrian Odyssey :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm getting one soon for Etrian Odyssey :pac:

Praise the sun! Another Etrian Odyssey fan awaits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Pac1Man wrote: »

Cool !

Pac1Man wrote: »

It's thanks too you I think, reading your posts about it , it sounded like a game right up my alley.

It's thanks too you I think, reading your posts about it , it sounded like a game right up my alley.

It's one of my favourites. It's first person dungeon crawling done better than any other dungeon crawler before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tales of berseria.

Worth having a go? Never played a Tales game before.

Tales of berseria.

Worth having a go? Never played a Tales game before.

Go for it, probably the best Tales game since Vesperia, the battle system is much improved since Xillia and Zestiria, plus it has one of the better stories of the series.

• Advertisement

Anyone playing cosmic star? I'm really enjoying it atm.

Advertisement