Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Always remember seeing all four games in game and I regret not buying them now.

Saw the anime, and decided to have a look for them when i went looking saw all of them and just didn't do anything.

Would love to get this but it'll be another game in the unplayed list, and with few exceptions I'm not buying new games until the backlog is down a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I passed up on them back in the day. I had enough RPGS to play and the .hack games just weren't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I passed up on them back in the day. I had enough RPGS to play and the .hack games just weren't that great.

Got the original 4 games on the PS2 and have to agree, while not bad games they got stale very quickly. Found the novelisation of the story to be more interesting than the actual games themselves due to focusing on the main plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I still have all four of them on the PS2 but I only played the first two. The other two are still sealed somewhere. They were good and the fake MMO concept was fun but there were some really annoying voice acting and scripting. I still can't see or hear "mon ami" without wanting to claw my face off.

I remember reading Tad William's Otherland series at the time and there seemed to be a lot of crossover in terms of setting and theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Played the first two of the original quadriliogy when I was a teen and enjoyed the series as a whole a lot. I don't know if I could go back and finish them but I'll definitely give the GU trilogy a try since we never got them when they originally came out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think those games are only expensive because they are genuinely rare rather than any good. The last few are very hard to find. Pretty sure the 5th part never even made it to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I found the them a good deviation after putting in 80-100 hours into the likes of Suikoden and DQ, you could finish them in about 20 hours and were interesting, mid tier yes but still enjoyable if you did not binge through the series.

Yeah, frägment came out nearly two years after Quarantine in Japan but never made it west.

Holy ****, just saw the prices these are going for now. Time to get myself to ebay!

Where you find the time for all these RPGS Xenji I don't know 😊 it killed me putting 120 hours into zelda.

Where you find the time for all these RPGS Xenji I don't know 😊 it killed me putting 120 hours into zelda.

Developing insomnia as a teenager and a modded PS2 at the time, coupled now with girlfriend who is mad into gaming along with work requiring travelling.

• Advertisement

I used to get through a RPG a week in school and college. Not anymore.

I used to get through a RPG a week in school and college. Not anymore.

It is harder now if it is a console or PC game, I still have not even finished Persona 5 yet, but I can still get through handheld games fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

.hack IMOQ has pretty weak gameplay but an AMAZING story and tons of great characters

GU has better gameplay but the story and characters arent as good

it's a little odd to me that they're only doing GU, .hack is a sorta all in or nothing deal, to understand most of the story you need to play all the games, watch all the anime and a bunch of supplemental stuff and even then it doesnt answer everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenji wrote: »
    It is harder now if it is a console or PC game, I still have not even finished Persona 5 yet, but I can still get through handheld games fairly quickly.
    I've not finished Persona 5 either, just playing at night.

I find I play through handheld stuff faster, used to travel more but it's the same now I don't as often.

Traveling to London next week but no idea what game to bring with me to play, not a long journey but it'll go faster. Maybe my Vita for a change, don't want to be caught up in a game though, maybe I'll replay Breath of Fire 4 or something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You still haven't finished persona 5 :eek:? I was sure you'd have it finished by Easter Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Traveling to London next week but no idea what game to bring with me to play, not a long journey but it'll go faster. Maybe my Vita for a change, don't want to be caught up in a game though, maybe I'll replay Breath of Fire 4 or something.

Maybe stay away from anything flame related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I think I go through console games quicker. Even if I have my 3DS with me I'd rather just read a book in an environment with loads of distractions. I think its probably going to take me a decade to get through all the 3DS games I want to play.

megaten wrote: »
    Even if I have my 3DS with me I'd rather just read a book in an environment with loads of distractions. I think its probably going to take me a decade to get through all the 3DS games I want to play.
    I'd like to get a Kindle or something, I've trouble with text sizes in some books.
    I feel like that too, like Fantasy Life is meant to be long and Persona Q. Actually not just with 3DS stuff I've a ton of stuff in backlog.

You still haven't finished persona 5 :eek:? I was sure you'd have it finished by Easter Sunday :D

Just started on the second last palace :D

Just started on the second last palace :D
    Much further than me, I'm only like almost finished the 3rd Palace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, The Last Story) to announce a new JRPG on the 22nd.

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/hironobu-sakaguchi-announce-new-game-june-22

Talk it just could be a console port of Terra Battle, a mobile game that has been promised to port over.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a load of grinding required in Persona 4? I'm at the second dungeon, got the the Shadow boss and it feels like I'm well under-levelled and under-powered. My party is level 16 across the board and I've seem mentions that they should be at 25 or so.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a load of grinding required in Persona 4? I'm at the second dungeon, got the the Shadow boss and it feels like I'm well under-levelled and under-powered. My party is level 16 across the board and I've seem mentions that they should be at 25 or so.

No grinding required. Make sure you explore every floor of the dungeon before going to the next level and try to fight as many battles as you can.

SMT games can make you feel under levelled but the use use of stat buffs and debuffs are required in these games. They help enormously.

I also find gamefaq guides way over state the recommended levels in RPGs.

I don't think I was 25 anyway, I was level 19 I think and just finished the 3rd palace. I think I used Oni and he's strong to physical attacks and no elemental weakness. If you level up the Moon social link I think you get more exp.
    Maybe that will help?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Summon knight has been delayed again till August it seems .

This arrived today

IMG_20170626_140855_zpsx0kbmb7k.jpg

Nice, going to wait for the PS4 eX+ version.

Xanadu Next is actually half price now on Steam as well for the summer sale.

I didn't get any souvenirs from Symphonic Odysseys, they were expensive only these flyers but that's okay they're so cute. I love the pinky!
    19250849_10213242078188000_574706058666884310_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=e75e2b48f93c1634eff0ea0569ecac10&oe=59D39BEC

^^^^ Would have loved too have been at that.

• Advertisement

^^^^ Would have loved too have been at that.
    Worth it for the Q and A, he's very ... like you could meet him in a pub for a chat kinda guy. Had a great night met up a friend. The seats were super high up for the concert but it actually wasn't that bad.

Advertisement