Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nippon Ichi are live streaming their 25th anniversary event on Friday, they are planning some new game announcements as well.

It had been rumored for awhile but Dragon Quest XI is officially coming west in 2018, the game is currently being localized into 5 languages including English.

It looks like Persona Q and Dancing All Night could getting sequels as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xenji wrote: »
    It had been rumored for awhile but Dragon Quest XI is officially coming west in 2018, the game is currently being localized into 5 languages including English.

That confirms the 3ds version with Nintendo as publisher then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenji wrote: »
    I didn't play either of those yet. I'm a bit wary, I don't want P5 to be P4, I was waiting for P4 Kart Racing and there was a fan game for it lol.
    Maybe if they did something different like ... P5 Typing of the Shadows / Typing All Night lol jkjk.

I know I wasn't for it but... P3 DMN means Akihiko and hopefully more Fuuka...
    "Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night & Persona 5: Dancing Star Night Announced for PlayStation Vita, Spring 2018 Release"

http://personacentral.com/persona-3-dancing-moon-night-persona-5-dancing-star-night-announced-playstation-vita-spring-2018-release/

• Advertisement

They have trailers now as well.

Still looks like another Persona announcement is incoming as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

More dancing games? meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Not that interested in rhythm games but it's nice seeing the P3 cast with decent 3D models

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If there's no dancing Chie, I'm not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

On the other side of that I'm looking for some action RPGs. I cannot stand turn based at all, so something along the lines of FFXV or Amalur. Open world preferable.

PS4 or PC preferably, Vita and 3DS to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement

If there's no dancing Chie, I'm not interested.

Still not as good as Han Solo :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

On the other side of that I'm looking for some action RPGs. I cannot stand turn based at all, so something along the lines of FFXV or Amalur. Open world preferable.

Persona 5

Put your turn based prejudice aside, when done right (as in not like final fantasy) it's far better than real time and Persona 5 is a great example of how to do it properly.

Except if you don't like xcom which means you are definitely a turn based heathen.

I've played a good 10 hours of Persona 4 and it just didn't do it for me.

Persona 4 starts very slowly, wouldn't surprise me if you were still in the first dungeon.

sniper is right, I mean it took me 95 hours to finish on my save data, you wouldn't be much in. Plus they're usually very hard at the start.
    5 works much better, was that just the battle system or was it the social linking and stuff put you off more?

Do you want a good story or just gameplay? I think that'll help narrow down stuff.
    Xenoblade or Star Ocean is all that comes to mind for non turn based.
    Quick search is showing up Monster Hunter and Megaman Battle Network?
    Not something I know much about, I'm sure someone help can help better.

Tales Of Berseria, Nier:Automata or Toukiden 2, the remaster of Dragons Dogma will be out later this year and Tokyo Xanadu EX will be coming out as well.

YS: Memories of Celceta, Tokyo Xanadu and Muramasa Rebirth for the Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Nier Automata is really really good, highly recommended.

I've started Disgaea 5 the other day, game seems to have an absurd amount of depth and systems. I'm a little bit overwhelmed. It's fun though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll put in another vote for dragons dogma. Fantastic action RPG with great combat. It also feels very western despite the Japanese development team.

I've played Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and a few of the tales games. Gooing to give Toukiden 2 a shot. It looks like it could be the one.

Maybe give monster hunter a go. Toukideb is a MH clone.

• Advertisement

Touikoden also has the worst camera I've ever seen, it's unplayable.

Touikoden also has the worst camera I've ever seen, it's unplayable.

What is your issue with it and are you playing on PS4/PC/Vita, honestly I found it fine and on par with its predecessor, and never heard any other person call it unplayable?

If you adjust the camera with the right stick it doesn't stay there, it just goes vertically down so you can't see any enemies. Playing on PC.

If you adjust the camera with the right stick it doesn't stay there, it just goes vertically down so you can't see any enemies. Playing on PC.

Are you using a PS4 controller or a Xbox controller, the PS4 controller will not work properly unless you get a mapper, unlike other Koei games it is not natively supported using the PS4 controller which is the cause of the issue.

Xbox360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are either of the 'Tales of' games on PS4 any good?

Or any decent tactical JRPG games on PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 actionrpggamer

any decent tactical JRPG games on PS4?

Disgaea 5

Tales of Zestiria is fairly decent. It also has the absolute best intro music you'll ever hear.

Xbox360 controller.

Check and see if "Enable the Steam Overlay In-Game" is ticked in the game properties, might be causing the issue.

Tales Of Beseria is the best Tales game on the system at the moment, possibly one of the best in the series, Zestiria is also a solid game, but if you plan on playing both I would play it first as its limitations will show up more if you play Beseria before it.

As for tactical games, you only really have Grand Kingdom, Disgaea 5, Valkyria Chronicles and Natural Doctrine, I would not recommend Natural Doctrine though.

• Advertisement

I'd go with Valkyrie Chronicles over Disgaea 5. VC is a game anyone can and should love. Disgaea can be an acquired taste. I know it's a good game myself but I can never get into it.

Advertisement