Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&C

• 28-05-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Sadly it looks like I miscarried, I am about 8 weeks and if anyone was reading my posts on the pregnancy forum will probably know it was a really messy situation so its probably for the best but still feels weird.

I have to get a scan on Wednesday and then I was told I can decide either to let it pass naturally or get a D&C. Personally I think a D&C sounds easier but it also seems that I will have to wait a few days either way.

Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Mola1

Really sorry to hear that :( hope you are ok

I had a m/c in feb and ended up having to get a d&c as it just dragged on abit and I had trouble passing it naturally so I myself would go for a d&c it really is nothing to worry about,a quick procedure and painless for me anyway but your doctor will talk you through it im sure! Good luck with whatever you choose xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, you poor thing x

I M/C years ago and let it pass naturally - it was horrible - I kept thinking it was over but it lasted days - so I would suggest D&C

Take care of yourself pet xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 38 purejuice

Sorry to hear of your news, I miscarried last year at my 13 week scan I was showing the baby died @ 9 weeks, the doctors said I should see if I passed naturally well after 2 more weeks I didnt and ended up having tablets to bring on labour pains but ended up having a d&c as didnt all come away so my advice would be to get the d&c straight away. Good luck its hard but in time gets a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Iwillcope

Thanks, it does sound awful but I really think it is for the best and it will be my time again when I am ready hopefully.

I am going to ask to get a D&C straight away as I don't want to prolong it or it coming out in the middle of work or something. I just get the impression from my GP that there are huge delays for these things which is pain in the arse.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm so sorry to hear this IWillCope, I know your circumstances were not ideal but that does not mean that you wont grieve like any other woman who has miscarried. Its ok to mourn this loss, give yourself time to do this, and make sure you look after you.

Its important that you keep in mind that although it was a crisis pregnancy and therefore more stressful by virtue of trying to sort out how you felt about it and how the man involved felt about it, the stress didnt contribute to your loss in any way - its just nature being a bitch sometimes. :(

I cant offer any advice on a D&C - my miscarriage was a missed one, known as vanishing twin syndrome, so I never bled. I hope your procedure goes speedily and safely for you. Take time to take care of yourself - physically and emotionally. ((hugs))

• Advertisement

My GP just informed me that it could be two weeks before I can get the procedure unless I go private, she is looking into how much it is going to cost for me now. Just seems very unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 purejuice

Did you have a missed Miscarraige Iwillcope? As thats what I had ,its when you dont have any bleeding and the heartbeat stops only knowing when you go for a scan. They could be just being careful as I know myself they wanted to me go naturally as they think thats the best way so thats why I waited 2 weeks for my d&c as it didnt happen the way they wanted to. Them 2 weeks will seem like a lifetime and you will be up and down due to your pregnancy hormones still being there. .

I am bleeding but nothing like I should be according to my GP, she just said it will be easier for me to get back to normal if I go with a D&C.

Just an update, I have been booked in for the procedure on Friday and the Dad has been incredibly sweet about the whole thing. Think he feels very guilty, it's sad but what can you do.

Thanks everyone for your kind words over the last few weeks, you have really helped me through it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I am very sorry to hear this Iwillcope. Regardless of the situation the baby was conceived in, the loss of any precious little life is tragic and sad for all concerned. My thoughts are with you.
    For what it's worth, I think you have made the right decision to go with the D&C - it is a lot less traumatic in circumstances which are already traumatic enough.
    Best of luck to you for the future.

• Advertisement

Just wondering out loud here, I will ask the doctor tomorrow but should I have someone stay with me once I finish in the hospital tomorrow. The dad or ex dad as the case is will be picking me up but not I haven't said that he should stay with me, it's just an awkward situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

It would be nice for you if you had someone there for moral support, but if the situation with the dad is awkward it might be best not to ask him. Personally, I found the D&C very upsetting and you might need someone that you're comfortable with - for a hug and a good cry. Do you have a family member or a good friend who is aware of the situation or that you feel you could approach? Good luck to you.

I don't really want to tell anyone else, I was just wondering if there was any medical reasons. Like if they nicked me or something, I will be in my flat alone so it's probably not a good idea to spend the night by myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

OP I just wanted to wish you well. Im so sorry you have to go through this.
    Please do tell a friend, or a family member at least if you can. It might be easier if you were not alone or at least if someone else knew what you are going through.
    All the best for the future

Hi Iwillcope - I just want to wish you the very best of luck today, if you can bring a family member or close friend, or if you think the dad will be able for the emotion (although reading your previous posts pet it might be an idea to bring some one else). I have never had one, but I imagine it will be very upsetting.

Please take care of yourself - I really hope it goes okay xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

You may be very tired after the op. I know it took me a few days to get over the anaesthetic. It's not painful.

But I was very frightened being brought into theatre and put to sleep.

I had lost a lot of blood previously so mine was an emergency.

Hopefully you are better prepared.

I wish u all the best, take care of your self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Good luck today Iwillcope. The procedure is not the worst part, I think it is today, tomorrow and for a short time after that, that you need someone close to you to lean on. Allow yourself to feel whatever you need to feel and to take whatever time you need. It's an invasive procedure, both physically and emotionally. Be sure to find someone to talk to. Take care pet. We'll all be thinking of you today. x

Hi Iwillcope, I have been thinking about you all weekend, I really hope everything went okay pet x

Hi, sorry I meant to update you but a family event kind of overtook everything.

I feel ok, no pain really and just very light bleeding. I am tired but relieved it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Iwillcope wrote: »
    Hi, sorry I meant to update you but a family event kind of overtook everything.

I feel ok, no pain really and just very light bleeding. I am tired but relieved it's all over.
    Good to hear from you and am relieved youre feeling ok now. Take some time and be good to yourself now. X

• Advertisement
Advertisement