Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Results 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

BX 19 wrote: »
    If you owe fees how quick does the hold come of your account? Also when do the provisional results disappear?

The hold should come off straight away once you pay the fees. Results are gon by June 4th 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Quent Q. wrote: »
    If you pass an exam by compensation but this result brings down your GPA what are the chances of getting them to cancel this pass by compensation?

Would get a better degree classification if I could just sit the exam again.
    Anyone any experience of this?

I'm not absolutely certain but I think a pass by compensation has a GPA value of 2.0, the same as the capped GPA on a repeat??? If it didn't I'd imagine everyone would be resitting in situations where their GPA really counted...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quent Q.

I'm not absolutely certain but I think a pass by compensation has a GPA value of 2.0, the same as the capped GPA on a repeat??? If it didn't I'd imagine everyone would be resitting in situations where their GPA really counted...

I hadn't even thought of that. You are probably right, that would make sense.

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The hold should come off straight away once you pay the fees. Results are gon by June 4th 2pm.

Just the answers I was looking for. Good man :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Mine took a couple of days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

A pass by compensation carries a GPA of 1.60

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ucd.ie%2Fregistry%2Fassessment%2Fstudent_info%2Fmodulargradesexplained.pdf&ei=MCHIT-agDoTDhAf7mYTtDw&usg=AFQjCNGvpJWS0M5dvSd-AVaxj7n1gOq8RQ

WeeBushy wrote: »

So basically there's no point me trying to get the pass by compensation cancelled and repeat the module.

Well it completely depends what you want to do.

If you repeat and pass your GPA for that module will rise by .4, so if you are borderline 2.1/2.2, for example, you might want to repeat. It will cost, however, and you will have to work at it next semester.

Or you could pass by compensation and not have to worry about that module again. But bear in mind if you get more than 3 Es in this stage you won't be able to compensate.

It's up to you which option you prefer.

Thanks WeeBushy,

Will go see my paper and take things from there. Even with the .4 if I were to repeat the module I'd still be short for the 2.2

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Happy with results :) What's the idea behind provisional results, rather than just waiting for the final version? I mean is this a period for students to appeal, for lecturers or otherwise to go over them again or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DocToBe

Did anyone get an email today about 'what's next', like it said we would in that email we got before the results were released?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

is there any chance of going down a grade in the final results from the provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 seldduca2012

DocToBe wrote: »
    Did anyone get an email today about 'what's next', like it said we would in that email we got before the results were released?

Hi DocToBe
    In response to your question above- I received the below email this evening;
    Hope this response answers your question.
    Regards.

Dear Student
    I hope you have enjoyed your year with us and that your examinations went well.
    I would like to take this opportunity to highlight some important information below for the 2012/13 academic year. It is important that you read this information carefully and, if you are returning to UCD, that you bookmark the relevant websites so that you can refer back to them during the summer.
    I hope you enjoy your summer break and, for those of you are completing your studies with us this year, I wish you every success in your future career or further study.
    Continuing your studies in UCD in 2012/13?
    New this year! Book your Registration Start Time
    This year you need to go online and book the time your module registration will start in August. See
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/index.html for more details.
    Fees and Grants
    >>For information on the Student Contribution Charge, Student Centre Levy and Repeat/Resit fees, visit
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/news.html
    >>If you have fees/charges outstanding, check your UCD email for an email dated 25 May with information on what you need to do. More information is available at http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/news.html#5
    >>A new Single Grant Authority replaces local authorities for new grant applicants. A new online only application system will open later this month. If you are already in receipt of a grant and just moving to the next stage of your programme you will continue to deal with your local authority or VEC. Visit www.studentfinance.ie for more details
    Online documentation
    Additional documents are now available from our online documents service in SISWeb. From 21 June you will be able to run your Statement of Results. See Online Documents for more details.

Resits/Repeats in 2012/13
    If you have to repeat or resit any modules, you will receive an email in your UCD Connect account regarding registration to these modules in the first half of August, ahead of the main 2012/13 registration season. Find out more at
    www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats//
    Student Card (Your UCARD)
    A reminder that student cards are now being issued by the UCARD Bureau. Your UCARD is your official identification card for the duration of your programme in UCD so please make sure you look after it over the summer. For further information visit
    http://www.ucd.ie/ucard/
    Completing your studies?
    Transcripts and Academic Statements will be available online from 21 June
    If you are completing your programme here in UCD and need a copy of your Academic Transcript and/or Academic Statement, you don’t have to contact the Student Desk. From 21 June, you will be able to publish it yourself via your SISWeb account. See Online Documents for more information.Progressing to further study? UCD offers unparalleled choice in Graduate studies
    UCD offers Ireland’s most diverse range of graduate opportunities and has a thriving graduate community of some 6,800 students. We offer students unparalleled choice at all levels: Doctoral programmes, taught and research masters, graduate diploma and certificate programmes and higher diplomas in more than 290 areas of study.

Why not visit www.ucd.ie/graduatestudies to start planning your next step with UCD.
    Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

is there any chance of going down a grade in the final results from the provisional?

Only a rather minuscule one.

Thanks for the reply seldduca2012! I don't know why I didn't get one tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 seldduca2012

DocToBe wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply seldduca2012! I don't know why I didn't get one tho!

Sorry DocToBe, between all the cutting, copying and pasting of the email I forgot to mention that it was from the student desk. The student desk info is available via the following link: http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/studentdesk/contact.html
    Hope this helps.

Thanks again seldduca2012, I have emailed them to see why I din't get one, as I have a tendency to worry too much haha! Won't get a reply now to Tuesday at the earliest, but I'm sure it's nothing major anyway!

just got the email, crisis averted lol! Note to self:stop panicking!

I had a couple of results moved up from the provisional results to the final ones without appealing before. Neither made a difference to the actual result, it was less than a percent both times, but I guess in theory it could go the other way as well if they had calculated your results incorrectly. I've never heard of someone being moved down, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Got 4.09 and am quite happy about that, mostly because I got an A in something I was genuinely worried I might have failed.

Was never able to understand this phenomenon myself. I never had an exam (and I did 31 in UCD) where I could not have predicted to within a few percent how I had done.

If I thought I had failed a paper and was wrong I'd certainly be getting only a D- at best or if I thought I'd got an A and been wrong it'd probably have been an A-or at a wild stretch a B+.

How someone could not be sure of the difference in standard between an A (73%+) and and a fail (40%-) beggars belief. I'd have thought everyone would have a fair idea where they stood after an exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Was never able to understand this phenomenon myself. I never had an exam (and I did 31 in UCD) where I could not have predicted to within a few percent how I had done.

If I thought I had failed a paper and was wrong I'd certainly be getting only a D- at best or if I thought I'd got an A and been wrong it'd probably have been an A-or at a wild stretch a B+.

How someone could not be sure of the difference in standard between an A (73%+) and and a fail (40%-) beggars belief. I'd have thought everyone would have a fair idea where they stood after an exam.

In fairness to Kitten there, he said they only got 1 assignment back and that was poorly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Some schools are better than others at being consistent.

The consistency of marking in the Law school is dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

bigred100 wrote: »
    In fairness to Kitten there, he said they only got 1 assignment back and that was poorly marked.

True, but that wasn't really relevant to my point. For example, they also wrote "I got an A in something I was genuinely worried I might have failed" which even allowing for alleged poor marking in another assignment is an extraordinary gap [35%+] between perception and reality - that's the issue I find hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Hi,

Could someone tell me what the story is with regards to compensation. I understand to compensate a module u need an E grade and over a 2.0 gpa. It also say's that u need at least 75% of modules passed. However I remember reading somewhere that you are only able to compensate a max of 3 modules, but this is far less than 25% of modules. So my question is are u only aloud compensate 3 or is it 3 per year/semester? Also to compensate do u just drop the module and it makes up for it at the end of year 3?

Thanks,
    DL Saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

DL Saint wrote: »
    Hi,

Could someone tell me what the story is with regards to compensation. I understand to compensate a module u need an E grade and over a 2.0 gpa. It also say's that u need at least 75% of modules passed. However I remember reading somewhere that you are only able to compensate a max of 3 modules, but this is far less than 25% of modules. So my question is are u only aloud compensate 3 or is it 3 per year/semester? Also to compensate do u just drop the module and it makes up for it at the end of year 3?

Thanks,
    DL Saint.
    You must have passed 75% of attempted modules. The number of modules you can compensate ie based in the total credits taken. Ie for a student who takes 12 5credit modules, they must pass 9 and can compensate 3. Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

yellow hen wrote: »
    You must have passed 75% of attempted modules. The number of modules you can compensate ie based in the total credits taken. Ie for a student who takes 12 5credit modules, they must pass 9 and can compensate 3. Does that help?
    Thanks for that, was very helpful.

Do you know if I just drop the module to compensate? I think I remember reading that's how it works, just looking for confirmation.

It'll happen automatically at the end of the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Princess HLS

Hey Guys, I am first year Social Science and got an overall year GPA of 3.45.
    Is that good or average for first year?

Auds.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Whats the craic with compensation?
    If you compensate one year, are you not allowed to do it the next year?

UCD website aint too helpful :confused:

• Advertisement

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    Whats the craic with compensation?
    If you compensate one year, are you not allowed to do it the next year?

UCD website aint too helpful :confused:

Its per stage, which may or may not be per year for your course.

Advertisement