Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty pubs. Busy these days?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

We're thinking of hittin to Clon for the weekend. Well, Friday night to Sunday morn. Just wondering if the pubs would have anyone in them on a Friday night. Up here, in Tipp, the pub scene has really taken a beating, and only few pubs would have much of a crowd on a Friday night. Usually it's Saturday night that's busy. Was in Clon a few years back and it's a great spot, but a few years back things were different in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its no where near as busy on a friday as it would have been before but it wont be dead either, takes a little longer to get going too. Places start to fill at 10 whereas before it was 9.

Check out the likes of scannels and de barras for friday night. Go to the venue after in o'donovans hotel its got a club part and a pub part for oldies like myself with a large beer garden area. If ye are under 21 or so check out the emmet instead, enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'd agree with balmed out

Scannel's have a great beer garden and you wont find a better pub than de barras for live music.

Speaking of de barras there's a fella on here playing with a really good band on saturday night.

O Donovans have a huge range of craft beers as well so if your into your beer the front bar is worth calling into.

In my opinion the best pint of stout in cork is in Con & Maura's, small old fashioned pub but great place to go for a quite pint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Completely agree with the two boys above; I'd recommend Mick Finns for an early pint, the place seems to be getting a nice crowd in there lately.

Also, the wine bar is decent enough if you like your wine.

In my opinion, the nightclub front in Clon is pretty dire, the Emmet is for the younger crowd like already mentioned, O Donovans gets a decent crowd but the place isn't good at all, I was in there early enough a few Saturdays ago and the nightclub was literally stinking! Front bar is actually Ok, though they need to spend a few quid on renovations. I was in the Pheonix (nightclub out the back) recently as well and I was convinced that there was a secondary school disco one but I was wrong, it was the nightclub....I'm not exagerrating :rolleyes:

You can't go wrong with Scannels and De Barras :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks lads. Sounds like Scannels and De Barras are the places to go. And good to see that pubs there are surviving through the recession. I don't mind a slow start. The night is long.

Thanks lads. Sounds like Scannels and De Barras are the places to go. And good to see that pubs there are surviving through the recession. I don't mind a slow start. The night is long.

Ah yeah, you could start early and get a nice pub crawl in sure :)

In fairness, I'm not aware of any pubs which haven't survived the recession in Clon. I also forgot to mention the Courtyard, well worth a drop in, they serve food too. It's not on any of the main streets so I think people tend to miss it, I love going in there, nice comfy sofas and good beer...I know I sound old! They serve Erdinger on tap (or maybe it's Paulaner) which is a nice change to the more common beers. De Barras also have Paulaner on tap in the main bar.

Enjoy it and let us know how you got on...if you survive!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, you could start early and get a nice pub crawl in sure :)

In fairness, I'm not aware of any pubs which haven't survived the recession in Clon. I also forgot to mention the Courtyard, well worth a drop in, they serve food too. It's not on any of the main streets so I think people tend to miss it, I love going in there, nice comfy sofas and good beer...I know I sound old! They serve Erdinger on tap (or maybe it's Paulaner) which is a nice change to the more common beers. De Barras also have Paulaner on tap in the main bar.

Enjoy it and let us know how you got on...if you survive!

Cant say i'm a huge fan of the courtyard on a night out, there's nothing wrong with the place just seems to lack atmosphere :o

However if i'm out and about on the Saturday night you'll usually find me in there with a big fry and a pint at around 12:30 the morning after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're around on the 2nd, my band's playing in DeBarras, I'll be on Bass, pop in and say hello!

Owen wrote: »
    If you're around on the 2nd, my band's playing in DeBarras, I'll be on Bass, pop in and say hello!

I gave ya a plug already :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Feck it, so you did. Nice one chief ;)

Owen wrote: »

Checked out your site. Ye play just the kind of music we like. We'll def be in there on Sat night.

• Advertisement

I like the courtyard as somewhere to watch a match or as a pub eatery but not really a fan at night. Either dead or your intruding on some sort of event but then again not bothered checking for ages, has that changed?

Also this weekend the festival by the sea is on in rosscarberry so could be worth checking that out - might make clon a little quiter early on too but then they will all come down after regular closing time

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Also this weekend the festival by the sea is on in rosscarberry so could be worth checking that out

http://www.debarralodge.com/FestivalByTheSea2012.pdf if anyone is interested

Well guys, I gotta say, that's one fantastic town ye have there. I passed through it a couple of times, but never spent a night there. Superb craic. Has to be one of the best weekends away myself and the missus had. Just about everyone we met there were friendly and chatty. There were a few hen nights out, and some stags, but no hassle anywhere. It's said that every town has its troubles, but I find it hard to imagine any trouble in Clon, as ye call it.

Was there in de Barras on Saturday night for your gig, Owen. Great stuff. Loved it all. And Scannals out the back was great fun. We called into a few other places on Friday, and ended up in Donavans on Saturday night after your gig.

Credit to the people of the town. Ye make it what it is. Credit where credit is due.

If only Saturday weather was like Friday. lol

glad ye enjoyed just a pity the weather wasnt better for ye, some beautiful areas to visit in the area.

Brilliant stuff altogether, delighted ye enjoyed it :) Make sure and come back again and spread the good word!

It's true what you say about hassle...in all the times I've been out in Clon I've only encountered trouble a couple of times.

Brilliant stuff altogether, delighted ye enjoyed it :) Make sure and come back again and spread the good word!

It's true what you say about hassle...in all the times I've been out in Clon I've only encountered trouble a couple of times.

We hope to be down there again at the end of the month so hope to have a good time there again

Advertisement