Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Tree

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some help on identifying the tree in the attached image, it's roughly 20 metres high and has similar leaves to a horse chestnut except they're a bit smaller.

The tree as you can see is quite large and is situated just on the neighbours side of the boundary and too close for comfort to the house considering it's size and mass.

Any help on the tree type will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Looks like a sycamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Common old Sycamore. Looks pretty mature. Probably won't get much bigger.

If you don't want the branches from your neighbours tree in your garden, you are well within your rights to cut off anything overhanging your garden. It is only polite to say it to your neighbour first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

pwurple wrote: »
    Common old Sycamore. Looks pretty mature. Probably won't get much bigger.

If you don't want the branches from your neighbours tree in your garden, you are well within your rights to cut off anything overhanging your garden. It is only polite to say it to your neighbour first though.
    Yep I know I can chop anything overhanging which is pretty much 60% of the branches just wanted to find out more about the tree first.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just be careful if your cutting down over hanging branches, you can cut away as long as you dont cause damage to the tree, if you damage the tree you can be prosecuted for criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

don't cut it back during the summer months, wait until spring or autumn otherwise you risk bleeding the sap which will damage the tree.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1st off,I would talk to your neighbour about the tree,and its branches overhanging your garden.

Then I would get a tree surgeon in to have a look at the tree,and where to make the cuts with a chainsaw.

If you do this yourself,and get it wrong,then you could kill the tree.

Then you will be liable for criminal damage and have a very angry neighbour too.

Regards.

Advertisement