Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper II

• 28-05-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Kinda freaking out over Hamlet for the Leaving- don't have half as much done as i'd imagine and now am realising i've left it very late. Do you think by doing the following i'd get a question to suit on the 7th of June? :

Characters

[*]Hamlet
      [*]Gertrude
      [*]Polonius
      [*]Horatio

[*]Struggle between Claudius and Hamlet

General Questions
        [*]Appearance V. Reality
        [*]Importance of Soliloquys

[*]Dramatic Scene
        [*]Loyalty and Betrayal
        [*]Imagery and Symbolism

I have sample answers for the questions I have stroked above ^ ^ (stroked, lol :pac:)

Anyway- do you think i'll be ok? Really need the A in English and i'm actually sick thinking about the Hamlet Question!

On the topic of the Comparative Study. Do you think if I learnt off one basic Theme/Issue answer i'd be ok if it came up on the day? I'm fairly comfortable with GV+V and LG. However we've never studied key moments and i'm not really sure how to write about them. So if that came up as the 2 part question (which i'm more comfortable with), I don't think i'd be able to answer!

I know Theme/Issue came up last year, but they have in the past put on the same mode on twice in 2 years.

For example-

Theme/Issue- 2008, 2009
        Literary Genre- 2004, 2005

General Vision has never come up twice in a row coming up in 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003.

Any opinions/hints people?

On the topic of poetry- i'm doing:
        • Sylvia Plath
        • Adrienne Rich
        • Philip Larkin
        • Thomas Kinsella
        • Seamus Heaney

Is there any specific poems from any of those poets you should always mention in an answer? This question is specifically for Plath as we've only done 5 poems by her and we haven't done any of her difficult ones (Elm, Finisterre, the one about Rainy weather) :P

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Women in Hamlet, like there overall impact on Hamlet and the overall plot, I will eat my hat if Horatio comes up.

Please Jesus don't be imagery and symbolism either :eek:, or one scene or any other theme but deception

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

skanger wrote: »
        Women in Hamlet, like there overall impact on Hamlet and the overall plot, I will eat my hat if Horatio comes up.

Please Jesus don't be imagery and symbolism either :eek:, or one scene or any other theme but deception

same! C'mooooooon Deception and Women ;)
        Also, I'm doing Lit Genre and Theme. If they both come up I'm doing LG! :)
        And I'm only doing Plath, Heaney and larkin.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

same! C'mooooooon Deception and Women ;)
        Also, I'm doing Lit Genre and Theme. If they both come up I'm doing LG! :)
        And I'm only doing Plath, Heaney and larkin.. ;)

I'm hoping for a nice Hamlet question, don't mind on what though,... preferably something I hadn't prepared, so it'd be fresher.

Hoping for any easy comparitive ( the 70marker)

Plath or Rich would make my life <3

An unseen poem I had seen before :L (That happened to my friend last year! :O )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Am studying the same as you PF, but instead of a question on the character of Gertrude I'm doing the Chacterisation of Women. Hoping for Deception or maybe one on the Conflict between Claudius and Hamlet! They'd be fairly handy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Anyone have any Hamlet essay plans that they'd like to share?

I've done nothing for Hamlet since last year. :')

Can swap poetry or comparative plans... Just so this doesn't seem like I am THE laziest person in the world. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just a tip on key moments - I was the same, confused over it, but all you need to do is describe whatever you're talking about as a key moment I think :P For example for mine we talked about religion and how it's oppressive in Kite Runner and Purple Hibiscus because x and y happen, but for a key moments essay you'd just say "we see this in the key moment where x happens" :)

Anyone have any Hamlet essay plans that they'd like to share?

I've done nothing for Hamlet since last year. :')

Can swap poetry or comparative plans... Just so this doesn't seem like I am THE laziest person in the world. :rolleyes:
        I like to plan the essay by dividing it into 7 or 8 paragraphs, for each paragraph I learn off 2-3 relevant quotes. On the day it saves time since I have a clear picture of what I need to write. There's no point in learning off big 10 page sample answers, unless your very good a leaning off it just wastes time

For example, in the mocks I did an essay on women. The paragraphs were..

1)Gertrude's crimes. Quotes 'as kill a king','most seeming virtuous queen' 'little month'

2)Treatment of Hamlet. 'Unmanly grief' 'the funeral bak'd-meats. Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables' 'cast thy nighted colour off'

3)Gertrude's redeeming qualities 'hamlet in madness hath Polonius slain' 'Thou turn'st mine eyes into my very soul...'

4)Is Ophelia loved by hamlet? 'I love thee not' vs 'Forty thousand brothers Could not, with all their quantity of love, Make up my sum'

5) Ophelia is used and abused. 'green girl' 'get thee to a nunnery'

6)Hate for women in general. 'incestuous sheets' 'frailty thy name is woman'

7)Impact of women on the plot. Ophelia's obedience 'i shall the effect of this good lesson keep' leads to her death which leads to Laertes' revenge 'to cut his throat i' the church'
        'God
        has given you one face, and you make yourselves
        another' and 'carnal bloody and unnatural acts' Hamlet's mother has tainted womanhood for Hamlet and this drives him to act.

Using this template I got close to full marks in the mocks, that being said i hope someone can point to where improvements can be made.

I wrote the quotes from memory so check before you use them, and I'm using a new keyboard which is stupidly small so I fully expect there's a few typos in what i wrote.

Posted this for someone else, it's not perfect but it's a good outline you can easily add ideas to.

Do you have a Heaney plan by any chance? I hate him but he's likely

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

skanger wrote: »
        Posted this for someone else, it's not perfect but it's a good outline you can easily add ideas to.

Do you have a Heaney plan by any chance? I hate him but he's likely

Ah, sorry! I'm not doing Heaney, hate all of the poems. I have Plath, Larkin, Kavanagh and Kinsella though!

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

ChemHickey wrote: »
        I'm hoping for a nice Hamlet question, don't mind on what though,... preferably something I hadn't prepared, so it'd be fresher.

Hoping for any easy comparitive ( the 70marker)

Plath or Rich would make my life <3

An unseen poem I had seen before :L (That happened to my friend last year! :O )

RICH! :D And Heaney, either or, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I've studied:

Hamlet: Hamlet, Ophelia, Gertrude, Laertes, Fortinbras, Deception and Importance of Solioquys... Still need to do Claudius and Imagery & Symbolism.

Poetry: Plath, Larkin and Heaney.

Comparative: Vision & Viewpoint.. Still got to go over Theme of Identity

:p:p

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

i haven't started revising yet..... ****ee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Any advice on the best way to cram for Hamlet (I'm studying the characters) and the poetry (I'm revising the wimminz, :P Frost and maybe Kavanagh)? Not much time left now so I kind of need to spend a day or two each at those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

You should be covered with all that unless they try something sneaky.

Do you think I'll be covered with these:

Hamlet
        • Deception/Corruption
        • Hamlet as Noble Hero
        • Characterization of Women
        • Soliloquys
        Could I leave any of the above out.

Poetry
        • Rich
        • Plath
        • Heaney
        Would I be Covered do ya think?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Martin_94 wrote: »
        You should be covered with all that unless they try something sneaky.

Do you think I'll be covered with these:

Hamlet
        • Deception/Corruption
        • Hamlet as Noble Hero
        • Characterization of Women
        • Soliloquys
        Could I leave any of the above out.

Poetry
        • Rich
        • Plath
        • Heaney
        Would I be Covered do ya think?

Cheers.

I'd say leave out the women, they've come up before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Is the revenge in Hamlet basically the foils of Hamlet?

FinnD wrote: »
        I'd say leave out the women, they've come up before

Everyone seems to think women are coming up though.

And everyone thinks it, because everyone thinks it. I honestly dont know where the notion came from except that it was on a mock, its illogical considering the amount of new stuff they can ask - why would they repeat it like.

Is the revenge in Hamlet basically the foils of Hamlet?

I typed in "foils of hamlet" into google and clicked into one of the websites and it said this. "Foils are minor characters created in a play to help the audience understand a major character better by giving the major character someone to talk to and compare them to. Ophelia can be considered a foil to Hamlet because she helps us see the different attitudes Hamlet has toward certain things."

Togepi wrote: »
        Any advice on the best way to cram for Hamlet (I'm studying the characters) and the poetry (I'm revising the wimminz, :P Frost and maybe Kavanagh)? Not much time left now so I kind of need to spend a day or two each at those!

I'm getting notes together now and just reading through them. But from Saturday on I'll just be studying English, Maths Paper 1 and Geography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If Horatio, Polonius, Importance of Soliloquys or The Use of Imagery/Symbolism comes up on Paper II i'll actually die of happiness! <3.

The Imagery/Symbolism question is soo easy. I've done up some notes and aghh it's just so nice! :) Here's hoping! :D

• Advertisement

lolwut, imagery and symbolism of what? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 markgisme

Does anyone have a plan for Imagery/Symbolism?

I am completely unprepared for English. All I have studied up till now is V&V and LG.

How are you choosing your various quotes for both Hamlet and the Poets?

Patchy~ wrote: »
        lolwut, imagery and symbolism of what? :eek:
        markgisme wrote: »
        Does anyone have a plan for Imagery/Symbolism?

I am completely unprepared for English. All I have studied up till now is V&V and LG.

How are you choosing your various quotes for both Hamlet and the Poets?

Recurring imagery and symbolism in the play. I'm discussing:
        • Images of Death
        • Images of Decay
        • Animal Imagery
        • Flower Imagery
        • Images of False Appearance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »
        And everyone thinks it, because everyone thinks it. I honestly dont know where the notion came from except that it was on a mock, its illogical considering the amount of new stuff they can ask - why would they repeat it like.

My teacher seems to think it'll come up too. She made sure everyone had notes on the role of women and went though it twice.
        Martin_94 wrote: »
        I typed in "foils of hamlet" into google and clicked into one of the websites and it said this. "Foils are minor characters created in a play to help the audience understand a major character better by giving the major character someone to talk to and compare them to. Ophelia can be considered a foil to Hamlet because she helps us see the different attitudes Hamlet has toward certain things."

I think it could be used fo revenge too as the characters are driven by revenge . I think I found a sample answer earlier it used those characters.

Recurring imagery and symbolism in the play. I'm discussing:
        • Images of Death
        • Images of Decay
        • Animal Imagery
        • Flower Imagery
        • Images of False Appearance

Where are you getting notes on these from, I have keynotes English and it doesn't have much on them and it's usually a great book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Was gonna make a different thread but might as well hop on the bandwagon here..
        For Hamlet I have the following prepared, should it be enough?

Hamlet
        Claudius
        Women

False appearances
        Love
        Key scene
        Enduring popularity

I was planning on briefly doing the minor characters.

Should that be enough? Theres so much more in the notes book I have but really stuck for time!

biohaiid wrote: »
        Was gonna make a different thread but might as well hop on the bandwagon here..
        For Hamlet I have the following prepared, should it be enough?

Hamlet
        Claudius
        Women

False appearances
        Love
        Key scene
        Enduring popularity

I was planning on briefly doing the minor characters.

Should that be enough? Theres so much more in the notes book I have but really stuck for time!

I'd take out Love and Claudius and do Loyalty/Betrayal and Polonius/Laertes and Fortinbras instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

For Hamlet I was just going to do:

Hamlet and Claudius
        Hamlet-A Noble Hero

Appearance vs Reality
        Role of Woman
        Soliloquies

For the comparative:

GV+V
        LG (praying for LG though)

For the poetry:

Plath
        Rich
        Heaney
        Larkin
        Kavanagh

Let's hope for the best. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

When I look at all of you speculating what might come up in Hamlet, it makes me so glad that my school don't do it as the single text :P

Not learning off any specific essays/essay plans for the single text, just going to know it well and wing it on the day. For the comparative, I'm hoping for GV+V or Theme even though it's unlikely. I'll probably prepare Literary Genre but we did it a couple of weeks ago and it just seemed like such waffle.

Then for the poets, I'm doing Plath, Larkin (and hoping either of them comes up as I love them both), Rich and Heaney (don't like them as much but could write on them if I had to) and Kinsella (my "worst-case-scenario" poet :P)

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Dose anyone know a place online that has notes on GV+V and theme. I got noting for the comparative

Advertisement