Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper II

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Patchy~ wrote: »
    And everyone thinks it, because everyone thinks it. I honestly dont know where the notion came from except that it was on a mock, its illogical considering the amount of new stuff they can ask - why would they repeat it like.

The only question I see from before is about Ophelia or Gertrude, it didn't combine them. Combining them gives a new angle on the question, still though I now think it's less likely than I did before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Awh ffs. What if they ask about Hamlet/Laertes/Fortinbras as Avengers in the play? It came up in a Mock a couple of years back and with Revenge coming up last year they could put it up so the exams wouldn't be as predictable. Jesus christ. I'm driving myself feckin crazy here thinking about all the stuff they could ask. Roll on Thursday week when I never have to look at Hamlet again. That's 12 essay plans I have to go and try and learn now. Great. I've only been studying since 10.00am like.. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and learn maybe 6 now before 10.00pm and get the rest of them done between tomorrow and Thursday.. Aggggggggggggghhhh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

markgisme wrote: »
    Does anyone have a plan for Imagery/Symbolism?

I am completely unprepared for English. All I have studied up till now is V&V and LG.

How are you choosing your various quotes for both Hamlet and the Poets?

Here you go, markgisme.

IMAGERY/SYMBOLISM IN HAMLET (Remember - the three types of formal imagery are simile, metaphor and personification)

SIMILE

- Shakespeare uses similes to connect seperate images or ideas and suggest shared similarities
    -Ophelia's description of Hamlet's mad acting in her closet in Act 2, Scene 1 is made more terrifying by the simile that compares Hamlet's 'piteous' look with the appearance of someone who had been 'loosed out of hell to speak of horrors'. It makes his madness seem more threatening.
    -The simile gives the sudience a starting reference point to imagine his 'look'. It also reminds the audience of the way the Ghost looks in Act 1, Scene 5 - as if he has been released from the 'sulphurous and tormenting flames' of hell to deliver it's message. This is appropriate because it's the Ghost that inspires Hamlet's madness.

METAPHOR

- Alternatively, metaphors create a stronger link between sperate ideas by saying something is something else
    - When Hamlet says that 'Denmark's a prison' he uses a metaphor to emphasise the sense of claustrophobia he feels in the court. The image of the prison works on several levels
    - Shakespeare uses layers of metaphors when he shows Hamlet in competition with Rosencrantz and Guilderstern. In a fast-paced exchange, the world becomes a prison, in which Denmark is one of the 'worst' cells. Rosencrantz picks up the metaphor and says that the prison is in Hamlet's 'mind' to which Hamlet replies that it's his 'bad dreams' which imprison him.

Motif

- A recurring image of rot and disease makes Denmark and its court seem infected with sin:
    - Marcellus predicts that 'Something is rotten' in Denmark
    - Claudius says that 'my offence is rank. It smells to heaven' which suggests that his sin is like a dead body
    - Hamlet uses a simile to compare Claudius to a 'mildewed ear' which reminds the audience of the method of Claudius'd crime

Symbols

- this technique helps the audience assiciate some of the attributes of the object with the idea it's trying to convey
    - Whe Ophelia gives out flowers in Act 4, Scene 5, she refers to traditional flower symbolism: 'There's rosemary, that's for resemblance'. Kenneth Branagh's film of Hamlet shows Ophelia handing out imaginary flowers to emphasise their status as symbols, as well as evidence of her madness
    - Yorick's skull represents three things in one: it's literally part of the remains of Yorick, it's a reminder of what Yorick was like when he was alive and it;s a symbol of death where the 'face' of death is looking back. The skull is a symbol for the inevitability of death.

Personification

- In his soliloquy in Act 2, Scene 2 Hamlet addresses 'O, vengence!' as if it is a spiritual being. This is in the style of Ancient Roman and Medieval plays in which abstract ideas such as Time or Fortune would be played by an actor. Hamlet plays on this tradition with Rosencrantz and Guilderstern when they discuss parts of Fortune's body - he uses vulgar language to suggest they 'live about her waist, or in the middle of her favours'
    - Hamlet personifies a recorder in Act 3, Scene 2. He describes playing the recorder as giveing it 'breath with your mouth' to suggest it can take part in discourse (conversation). Hamlet then uses this personified recorder to imagine the opposite - himself as a recorder. He tells Rosencrantz and Guilderstern that they would 'play upon me...would seem to know my stops'. Hamlet personifies the recorder and objectifies himself to show how he feels about Rosencrantz and Guilderstern manipulating him
    - Shakespeare uses personification to give added power and meaning to the play's dialogue - it increases the impact of the language he uses.

Imagery reveals more than what the audience can see on stage

- Imagery, metaphor, simile and personification are important and functional parts of Shakespearean theatre. With limited props, scenery and lighting, Elizabethan stages were blank and open spaces that actors had to transform into scenes using descriptive language and convincing action
    - Imagery enhances the scene for the audience
    - Metaphor and simile make use of objects and experiences familiar to the audience. This helps the audience to connect them to a new or unfamiliar scene on stage
    - Personification and symbolism allow actors to introduce abstract ideas without losing the understanding or attention of the audience
    - Without these techniques, it could be difficult for the audience to imagine the scene in all it's detail and to identify with the characters on stage.

I hope this helps, markgisme. If I can be of help with anything else just let me know :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Here you go, markgisme.

IMAGERY/SYMBOLISM IN HAMLET (Remember - the three types of formal imagery are simile, metaphor and personification)

I hope this helps, markgisme. If I can be of help with anything else just let me know :)

You've succeeded in making my plan for imagery and symbolism look a bit ****e, I think I might do ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

If I can be of help with anything else just let me know :)

Any chance you'd have something like this for Importance of Soliloquys? I genuinely have no idea how to structure an essay on them. :/

Or anyone else? I'd be forever in the debt of all you Boardsies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oh wow thats impressive, far more detailed than I would ever have thought to do! Half hope it doesnt come up, I'd never remember / think of those :')

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

imagine imagery and symbolism came up! That'd be the worst 4 pages to come up with :O I'm going to learn deception, women, imagery, soliloquys and maybe something else.

How long are all your Lit Genres? mine is a good 8/9 pages and i don't have anything done about characterisation? They wouldn't ask a LG to inlcude that? They'd hardly be THAT specific, right?

fingers crossed for Lit Genre though! :D

Here you go, markgisme.

holy mother of god....
    My imagery and symbolism is all about imagery of death and decay, weeds, flowers and false appearances? nothing quite so indepth. maybe i'll incorporate some of that badass **** into it. A1 here i come ;) hahaha thanks btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I'd take out Love and Claudius and do Loyalty/Betrayal and Polonius/Laertes and Fortinbras instead!

Cheers!
    I thought I had loyalty/betrayal worked into my falsity answer but I'll have a look at my notes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Any hamlet question that comes up,I'm ready for it.
    Plath/Larkin/Kavangh=Joys to write about
    Heaney/Kinsella=Hopefully won't have to go there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Awh ffs. What if they ask about Hamlet/Laertes/Fortinbras as Avengers in the play? It came up in a Mock a couple of years back and with Revenge coming up last year they could put it up so the exams wouldn't be as predictable. Jesus christ. I'm driving myself feckin crazy here thinking about all the stuff they could ask. Roll on Thursday week when I never have to look at Hamlet again. That's 12 essay plans I have to go and try and learn now. Great. I've only been studying since 10.00am like.. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try and learn maybe 6 now before 10.00pm and get the rest of them done between tomorrow and Thursday.. Aggggggggggggghhhh :mad:

That'd be a simple question as it pertains to the theme of revenge. They won't ask obscure questions just to throw students off. An exam is meant to test your knowledge of given material, not encapsulate a trap for those who didn't memorise the whole play line by line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I won't be writing essays but I will be doing keypoints on each topic.

You know the struggle between Hamlet and Claudius question, is this the right format you'd use for that question- it just doesn't look right to me:
    • General introduction, matched adversaries, keep the audience enthralled etc.
    Claudius
    • A clever and perceptive villain (opening scene wins admiration from court, trys to appease Hamlet, decides to keep Hamlet in Elsinore so he can watch over him)
    • Makes regular and effective use of flattery: Manipulates people into helping him defeat Hamlet, Polonius (spying), Rosencrantz and Guildenstern 'glean information'
    • Cunningly devises Hamlet's death: Ensures no blame will be placed on him or his co-inspirator, Laertes 'No wind of blame shall breathe'
    • Unscrupulous character- muder of King Hamlet, lack of ethics by willingness to spy etc.
    • Does not hesitate on organising Hamlet's death: 'Do it England, for like the hectic in my blood he rages' etc. Under pretence of collecting 'monies'. Manipulates Laertes' grief in an attempt to help him kill Hamlet
    Hamlet
    • Similarly clever and sharp witted throughout his struggle with Claudius- adopts an 'antic disposition', sees through the 'false facade' of R+G friendship, most ingeniously, devises 'mousetrap' to catch Claudius out 'the play's the thing within i'll catch the conscience of the king'
    • Can be unprincipled throughout his struggle with Claudius- Treatment of Ophelia/Gertrude (Nunnery/Closet scene). Rash slaying of 'bloody rash intruding fool' Polonius, shows no sign of remorse after 'i'll lug the guts into the neighbour room'. Dispatches R+G to their deaths, 'they are not near my conscience, their defeat by their own insinutation grows'
    Conclusion

Is this ok? I'm not sure whether it'd work for that question or not however! Thanks to anyone for helping (you can rob stuff out of that essay plan if ye want :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hamlet & Claudius
    • Sustained throughout - Plans made/upset
    • Hostility known form the start
    • Thinker Vs Doer - Opposites
    • Moral as well as Political/Physical struggle
    • Humour - Antic Disposition/Polonius/Hamlet and Ophelia before The Mousetrap
    • Behaviour of a Family at war revealed
    • Investigation on both Sides - Claudius uses R & G/Ophelia - Hamlet uses Mousetrap

That's my plan anyhow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

For Hamlet I have answers on the following:
    • Imagery in Hamlet
    • The struggle between Hamlet and Claudius
    • Theme of deception
    • Characterisation of women in the play
    • Handouts on the 'character of Hamlet' and 'Claudius: A credible villain'

How do you think I'm prepared? Our teacher gave us a list of q's that came up before and a list of q's to watch out for...Is there a good chance questions won't repeat themselves?
    With the exam just over a week away I wouldn't have any time to write up more than 1 more essay, so does anyone know of any helpful revision sites or books that are a good last minute help?

For the comparative I've studied theme/issue (conflict to be precise) and GVVP. Hopefully I'll be okay in that.

At this stage I think I'll just to Plath and Heaney in detail for the poetry. Is that a big risk?!

mufc1993 wrote: »
    At this stage I think I'll just to Plath and Heaney in detail for the poetry. Is that a big risk?!

of course it is a risk, anything less than 5 is considered risky! But I'm going to learn those two too and look at Larkin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

everyone please learn 5 poets! you do not want to risk 50 marks for all the work you have put in!! Plath and Heaney are favoured to come up but the paper was so predictable last year it won't be this year! and 5th years are studying Plath so they could leave her til next year and put Boland up 2 years in a row!
    they put Yeats up 2 years in a row..
    trust me i'm a REPEAT you will be so sick at yourself if you can't write an answer on a poet because you just did 2.
    and they don't have to put a woman up, it just happens there always has been..
    i'm only saying because i took a risk in accounting last year with predictions and got a D2 in a subject i got a B1 in my mocks in because the questions that came up were ones i hadn't studied....

For Hamlet I'm studying:

Hamlet, Horatio, The women, Polonius, Soliloquys, love, loyalty vs betrayal, false appearances and i can hopefully wing a question on comedy or imagery :D
    fingers crossed!

xclw wrote: »
    For Hamlet I'm studying:

Hamlet, Horatio, The women, Polonius, Soliloquys, love, loyalty vs betrayal, false appearances and i can hopefully wing a question on comedy or imagery :D
    fingers crossed!
    <3 doing all these! If a repeats doing these I must be sorted!

<3 doing all these! If a repeats doing these I must be sorted!

just hoping that fortinbras, Laertes, the ghost or it's popularity don't come up :P other than that we'll be okay, because you can change things to deception and other topics like that :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

xclw wrote: »
    For Hamlet I'm studying:

fingers crossed!

Fortune favours the bold,

I'm studying Frost,Boland,Claudius and Theme+Issue

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kayleigh01

Anyone have any notes on Larkin or Kinsella... I've been planning on only doing Plath but I'm freaking out now that she's not gonna come up. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if anyone was willing to send me notes/a sample answer to either Larkin or Kinsella, I'd swap Plath/Hamlet essays :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Yet to start studying for this:eek:

I'll do Heaney, Plath, Kinsella and Kavanagh and hope one comes up. What Hamlet essays would be good to prepare? Women, deception, ????, ???.....

Advertisement