Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a mountain bike on the wall

Options
  • 28-05-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got a full suspension mountain bike, to save some space in the room im hoping to hang it vertically on the wall. I have seen bikes hung from the front wheel in shops. Im wondering does this cause any problems with the seals in the forks, or strain the spokes from being left there for long periods of time? I was thinking instead to maybe hang it from the handle bars instead (downside to this would be making it slightly more difficult to hang up the bike). Has anyone done either of these, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I hang all my bikes, including 2 full sus MTBs, vertically from hooks on the wall of the garage. Never caused any problems to either the suspension seals or the wheels!

I use these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10230

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Interested in this myself. There's a lot of mixed reports online that kind of put me off. I've heard hanging a bike vertically can cause problems with some hydraulic disc brakes (eg Juicy 7) & forks, but I'd love to be told I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lavcon

The advice I got from my suspension tech was to hang the bike vertically if possible as this allows the oil in the fork to lubricate the seals and stop them from drying out when not in use....

Not sure that it makes sense as presumable the top of the seal wouldn't be in contact with the oil but he has been right about everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I have heard about fork bushings being distorted by the bike being hung from the front wheel. Can't see any problem with it being hung by the rear wheel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I use two large hooks for my road bike.

One holds the handlebar stem and the other the front of the seat.
    bike is totally horizontal and no stress' anywhere.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Unfortunately I dont have the space to hang the bike horizontally in the room. I see some of you have hung by the wheel no problem, but im still quite wary considering the flex I have seen in the fork. I am going to look in to some easy way of hanging by the handlebars, as it should have less leverage over the bushings. Thanks all for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

You should have no problem. I have kept my bikes like this for years. Fork wont be stressed anything like it would be when stopping a 100kg rider on a fast descent. If they can stand the forces generated when braking, then they can hold a bikes weight when mounted toa a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Sorry to resurrect, but this is what search threw up as a best match...

Is there any more recent opinions on this? Like posters at the time, google still throwing up mixed answers on the question of hanging a full suss mtb by the front wheel. It'd definitely suit my storage options if this was ok. Rockshox Pike Fork and Guide brakes if that matters, and again going by google some manufacturers advise against?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm actually thinking of doing the same, figure it might be a much neater way of storing my bikes in the garage. I currently have 2 hanging horizontally on the wall and 2 on the ground taking up more space than I'd like. on the MTB question I only have a cheapish hardtail so am assuming I'd be safe enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I actually have the hooks up and bikes hung, including the old hardtail waiting to be stripped for the bits box. It didn't seem to do the brakes any harm on that, and very space efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think I might pick up 4 of those X-tools mounts linked above and give it a go to see how it would work. only problem is it involves having to re-arrange all of my garage storage to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Can't see any problem with it being hung by the rear wheel...
    It would prevent water from being released from inside the frame after a wet ride.

I hang all 5 bikes by the front wheel only.

(PS - that wall hanger referred to earlier from Chain Reaction is not really suitable for an MTB with chunky tyres. B&Q do one which takes an MTB wheel much more easily.)

Advertisement