Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue in wicklow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

SomeFool wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/coastguard-helicopter-airlifts-three-teenagers-off-wicklow-mountains-466760-May2012/

Quite silly really. Teachers bit off more than they could chew is my guess anyway.

Sounds like they were doing the Spink route which tends to be safe enough route, I've seen people do it in sandals, with kids buggies and all sorts.

The incident mentioned could be just plain unfortunate, could be kids acting the boll ox, could be something else, hard to say unless we know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Kids will be kids and the area is not particularly dangerous - you can't keep them wrapped in cotton wool all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Call out details on the Mountain Rescue site.

Seems to have occurred near the footbridge at the head of the valley; as far as I know Mountain Meitheal and the National Park doing a lot of trail repair work up around there at the moment following the October floods. Might be a lot of loose flags along the trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'd be surprised how many MRT callouts there are in Glendalough and specifically on the Spink route, due mainly to the sheer volume of people walking it.

The fact that 3 of them all got similar injuries might suggest a certain amount of fooling around, which is inevitable really with a large group of teenagers, but even the most experienced hillwalker can get caught out and fall the wrong way.

There may be something in the comment regarding the work being done on the path, but I think that's more on the zig-zag Miner's Track itself rather than the bit at the top by the bridge which was done ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

wicklaawwww tis a grate place

• Advertisement
Advertisement