Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

euro 2012 how safe will it be

• 28-05-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭

I was just watching BBC1 Panorama about Euro 2012 and how safe will it be for fans who will be travelling, some serious stuff on it which only happened lately,

racism and violence at a peak, tis not somewhere I would like to be going right now, most if not all games showing Polish fans giving the seig heil shout with the right arm straight salute,

it shows a group of Indian students at a game in the family section supporting the local team receiving a beating from the local fans,

so how many of you guys going over?

will shin pads be enough protection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Is Joxer going this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't go if I wasn't white.. in fact I'm not going even though I am white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

sokker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The English must be happy to be able to look down on other fans for once

The OP watched a BBC program
    The Daily Mail has been lashing the Ukraine all today

I'm sure the other papers will do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Domo230 wrote: »
    Hmmm, a bunch of drunk football hooligans of various nations in a confined space.

What makes you think something might start off?

I hope your not lobbing the Irish with that lot we know how to drink responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Do they not have these programs every time there is a big soccer tournament on,If there not saying the local thugs will kill you there saying the police will and usually you get the English fans thrown in somewhere for more effect.Just enjoy the games we be all grand :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I'd say it will be safe as I've seen the polish police in action before and they don't take any sh*t to say the least!

Media just doing a bit of scaremongering to raise the numbers in my view, Ukraine is much worse than Poland anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

cant wait to see the mayhem, takes away from all this fiscal treaty and austerity crap. how the organisers didnt see this coming is amazing. hope they're water cannons are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It'll be grand. Just don't talk about the swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

It'll be grand.

• Advertisement

leggit wrote: »
    I'd say it will be safe as I've seen the polish police in action before and they don't take any sh*t to say the least!

Media just doing a bit of scaremongering to raise the numbers in my view, Ukraine is much worse than Poland anyway!

1 of the clips showed the polish police getting their batons melted, while being made to eat kenturkey fried smicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Will be grand! This is away section at one Polish club!:eek:

Domo230 wrote: »
    I just wouldn't go cause football is shoite.

Well I'll be watching it :D.. It's better on TV anyway, in my own experience. The atmosphere can be matched in a house full of giddy fans.

With regard to the issue of racism in Ukraine, I have heard some nasty stories.. even from some Ukrainian friends themselves. I asked one of them before if they thought Ireland was an overly racist place to live and yer man basically laughed at the idea that it was. Apparently many ordinary folk (not 'scumbags') in Ukraine don't even try to hide the fact that they dislike other races or ethnicities.

Having said that.. I've never been there myself or encountered a racist Ukrainian =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Police guy from Kharkiv was deluded.

"No, that's not a Nazi salute, they are just pointing at the opposition."

Yes, and shouting "Sieg Heil" while "pointing".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I know Panorama like to stir things up and paint a bleak picture but the sad reality in this case is that Poland do have a dreadful problem with certain extreme elements in their domestic football support. If anyone is making the trip please keep yourselves safe and don't fcuk with the locals.

Pherekydes wrote: »

this is one of the reasons I would be thinking things will not go smooth, plus the police and official's at the different matches seemed to turn a blind eye.

Nazi salutes from the Ukrainians?

Copying the crowd who considered them sub-human?

What's going on

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nazi salutes from the Ukrainians?

Copying the crowd who considered them sub-human?

What's going on

were the sub-humans not politely asked to move on only to be replaced by sub-humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The irony of Sky Sports news talking about English fans being afraid of hooligans :pac:

token101 wrote: »
    The irony of Sky Sports news talking about English fans being afraid of hooligans :pac:

Kind of like saying that the Irish should be afraid of terrorists.. laughable really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I'd say that Panarama doc was a little sensational watching it but I doubt it's without merit.

Advice for travel to the euros would for me the same as travelling anywhere, be cool to the locals, don't wander off on your own at night and be sensible where you bring stuff out like cameras, iPhones etc.

I was surprised not to see a thread about this on the soccer/football forum,

would this be a section of boards with blinkers on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

For me the hooliganism is the entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Panorama dont like eastern Europe. Last week azerbaijan got it. Any recent problems at international tourmanments have almost invariably been English fans. I secretly believe they want someone else to cause trouble so that they can feel a little bit less like the pariah of international football support.

If they took cameras to a millwall game they would see something similar although it would not be as openly on view in the stadium.

I am going over for a few days and am really looking forward to it. Poznan and Gdansk look like lovely cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Roughly 2 years to the day since the BBC were running programs about how everyone was going to be mugged, kidnapped, raped and neck-tied at the World Cup in South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dirtyden wrote: »
    Panorama dont like eastern Europe. Last week azerbaijan got it. Any recent problems at international tourmanments have almost invariably been English fans. I secretly believe they want someone else to cause trouble so that they can feel a little bit less like the pariah of international football support.

If they took cameras to a millwall game they would see something similar although it would not be as openly on view in the stadium.

I am going over for a few days and am really looking forward to it. Poznan and Gdansk look like lovely cities.

they only have to show some clips from the riots in london last year before the olympics to scare anyone out of coming to london in july to balance everything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I'd be more scared of going to the Euros if they were on in England

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In fairness the English have done a lot to stamp out hooliganism in their game, to look at where they've come from the 70s and 80s to now its been a quantum leap.

The problems in Poland have remained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I've spent a few years in Poland and have a small business in Warsaw and I can tell you that there IS a problem

• Advertisement

Kind of like saying that the Irish should be afraid of terrorists.. laughable really!

No. It'd be like the Irish news running a big hyperbolic news story on the terrorist problems in say, the Basque region, all the while knowing that there was almost certainly a battalion of IRA heads heading over and looking to start a little war with them.

In fairness the English have done a lot to stamp out hooliganism in their game, to look at where they've come from the 70s and 80s to now its been a quantum leap.

To an extent I agree with you. The atmosphere in stadiums has improved no end. There is still an undercurrent there though that breaks out every now and again, the west ham milwall cup game a year ago, the rangers fans in manchester last year.

I dont think they are in a position to throw stones and i dont believe there will be any significant trouble in poland or the ukraine. I have embedded a clip of the famous lech poznan fans.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhM41wwh3VI

Note that their youth team lost and they cheered the winning team for 5 mins after. panorama did not show this ill bet.

But there are problems in Spain, Italy, Russia, Serbia, and almost everywhere else outside of England, France and Germany. The problem isn't Sky Sports and the likes reporting on issues of racism. It's the whole subtext of 'We are far better equipped and should have the right to host major tournaments as these other nations clearly aren't good enough'. Which is bullsh*t really. They also conveniently gloss over the irony of lambasting Ukraine and Poland for their take on racism, as John Terry has had his racism trial delayed to avoid being jailed for the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

To an extent I agree with you. The atmosphere in stadiums has improved no end. There is still an undercurrent there though that breaks out every now and again, the west ham milwall cup game a year ago, the rangers fans in manchester last year.

I dont think they are in a position to throw stones and i dont believe there will be any significant trouble in poland or the ukraine. I have embedded a clip of the famous lech poznan fans.

Note that their youth team lost and they cheered the winning team for 5 mins after. panorama did not show this ill bet.

last time I looked Rangers were a Scottish team.

England fans have been fairly well behaved of late, I think France was the last time they were involved in anything major and they didn't start that.

Unfortunately the reputation will take some time to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

2012 poland ukraine-the crap will be kicked outta you
    2010 south africa-you'll be raped and mugged
    2006 germany-huge wars to break out between english and germans

Last time I remember things getting out of hand was in france 1998 when english fans went on the rampage.

I think everything will be fine except for maybe poland v russia game :eek:

I've spent a few years in Poland and have a small business in Warsaw and I can tell you that there IS a problem with racism and facism there.

I've been unlucky enough to bump into hooligans over there and they made it very clear that they DON'T like the Irish too.... Don't reply with bull**** answers, I've lived there and experienced it first hand.

Having been to games there the best advice is to stay in big groups, if trouble starts DO NOT run off alone because tards are dyin to catch a lad alone.. was over there in Poland 2 weeks ago and a pals brother has just been gifted a metal plate in his jaw, he and friends set upon by hools.... From the same club he follows ...why ? Because he had shirt with drogba on it , they weren't impressed, accused him of being a n'g#er lover etc...... Mental stuff.....

Just remember , the hools have no fondness for us, even though we look after their pals with the social welfare and have great friendships with many poles here......

Btw, if any of u need advice about the trip and things to know once there etc just pm me, more than happy to help....

• Advertisement

I would of looked at the programme as a warning to fans of the game to be aware, there is a lot of different racist groups using the game to promote their views,

and while doing this it may mean you might have to take a bit of a kicking, showing the youth game would only bluff fans in to thinking its fine im going to wear my jammies to the game.

Oh, and if you search hard enough in google , using translate , you will find hooligan forums were they are talking about who they want to target, and there's plenty of chatter about getting Irish fans.... I will post a link that a polish friend showed me last week when I can get it off him, you will either be suprised or not ......

England fans have been fairly well behaved of late, I think France was the last time they were involved in anything major and they didn't start that.

In fairness I think the english international fans now have a much improved reputation and things have changed. But I do think that panorma show was quite selective and sensationalist (it was tabloid tv). They showed some scenes you would see in many countries. Football fans can be assholes. It is hardly a mind blowing revelation.

Do you think the poles or ukrainians will be making documentaries about the london riots to encourage people not to visit the olympics. I doubt it.

What was shown on that programme will,not reflect the atmosphere in the stadiums or in the cities for the tournament. Thye have been preparing for this for about 5 years in poland/ukraine and i think they will make a great job of it.

Oh and Scotland is not a country just yet.

I would of looked at the programme as a warning to fans of the game to be aware, there is a lot of different racist groups using the game to promote their views,

and while doing this it may mean you might have to take a bit of a kicking, showing the youth game would only bluff fans in to thinking its fine im going to wear my jammies to the game.

You will find all these websites and groups associated with english, french and italian teams (neo nazism, racism etc) if you cared to google, that is not news.

• Advertisement

italodisco wrote: »
    Oh, and if you search hard enough in google , using translate , you will find hooligan forums were they are talking about who they want to target, and there's plenty of chatter about getting Irish fans.... I will post a link that a polish friend showed me last week when I can get it off him, you will either be suprised or not ......

I wont be I work with Polish "protein drinking" metal pumping nut jobs,

it is laughable how they speak about their great country and how wonderful it is, how the Irish, Scots, English, (for some reason they never mention the Welch) being lazy fat bastrads,

they go home on occasion just to meet up to go cause havoc, but I do hope none of you guys are unlucky enough to run into any of them,

the English hools were mice compared to these guys,

Best of luck to all the ignorants who know better and have nothing to worry about lol .....

That panorama episode was not over blown, I've seen the ****es in action myself.... But anyway, ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

italodisco wrote: »

A bunch of keyboard warrior man-children day dreaming.

Football fans will be sticking to the city centres, the stadiums, the fanparks and major transport hubs.

They won't be wandering around dodgy areas rubbing shoulders with the skinheads or whoever.

You won't get trouble unless you go looking for it I reckon.

Or make a mistake

About a decade ago an Irish lad was killed in Glasgow
    Went over for the football but once you make one wrong turn you'll probably make another and pretty soon you're in a rough area you should not be in

mossyc123 wrote: »
    A bunch of keyboard warrior man-children day dreaming.

Football fans will be sticking to the city centres, the stadiums, the fanparks and major transport hubs.

They won't be wandering around dodgy areas rubbing shoulders with the skinheads or whoever.

You won't get trouble unless you go looking for it I reckon.

this is true, like those Asian students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

it'll be grand over there, as long you're not English

Why woud u not take the word of someone who lived there, who knew foreign students that were attacked for being Arab etc.... I love the country, I wouldn't go out my way to put it down ... But I have seen the reality and only want to warn people.... And believe me, you don't have to look for trouble .. those lads have spotters out looking for small groups to jump etc... Sure I've known and.still do know guys Involved in that nonsense in Poland ...
    I'm not a keyboard warrior or a fear monger, I just want decent people to be fully aware of the danger tat will be there especially heading home from bars etc.... Don't jump all over me for trying to be decent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Pherekydes wrote: »

How stupid are these Ukrainian and Polish nazi's. Hitler made an awful mess of their countries during world war 2 and killed millions of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Continents protecting their unique ethnicity shocker. Best not to question why 'racism' is pretty much legal outside those who only had to reap what they'd sown.. let's just say not too safe for nations whose 11 don't really represent the olde European-ness. England.. France.. Usa gets a bye.. obviously..

But the same would be expected for sides lining out pretty much a White XI in the African Cup.. which'd be unheard of n sure I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I was just watching BBC1 Panorama about Euro 2012 and how safe will it be for fans who will be travelling, some serious stuff on it which only happened lately,

racism and violence at a peak, tis not somewhere I would like to be going right now, most if not all games showing Polish fans giving the seig heil shout with the right arm straight salute,

it shows a group of Indian students at a game in the family section supporting the local team receiving a beating from the local fans,

so how many of you guys going over?

will shin pads be enough protection.

poland is safe providing you know which swear words are acceptable and ones aren't... you notice how many poles speak fluent english but won't to you etc etc.

ukraine is f***ing nuts.... seriosuly... they hate russia but are just like them... Travellers beware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement