Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

euro 2012 how safe will it be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

smash wrote: »
    Didn't some of the black football players have to send their wives and families home because of the violence?

The families of theo walcott and that chamberlain fella are not going becasue they are afriad of racist abuse.

which is nice for them but what about their sons?

this is the danger of internet whispers and people talking about things they dont have a clue about.

the tournement hasnt even started yet. 2 england players have said their families wont be going, due to potential racist nature in ukraine. big difference from what you said above.

Its not internet whispers we know racists are going, sure isnt John terry in the england squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

CucaFace wrote: »
    Poland and Ukraine cannot really afford to not protect the travelling fans as this will destroy so much future tourism into the countries so I would expect very little trouble.
    British media are flagging constantly some separate isolated incidents from Both Poland and Ukraine trying to put fear into British fans - Nazis, hooligans, crime, recently they wrote that Polish Krakow is one big brothel....
    I just hope that their ( British) Nazi won't invide Poland and Ukraine.

http://chanceplus1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Prince-Harry-As-A-Nazi.jpg

pictured is Prince Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Some on here are being very naive regarding Irish fans being attacked by local thugs, a few years back in a Euro 2004 qualifier many Irish fans were attacked & beaten by Russian right wing skinheads in Moscow. Some friends of mine were at the match :mad:

The Russians were calling the Irish fans "green marxists" due to some of the Celtic & other Irish fans connections to German club St Pauli who have an extreme left wing following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Some on here are being very naive regarding Irish fans being attacked by local thugs, a few years back in a Euro 2004 qualifier many Irish fans were attacked & beaten by Russian right wing skinheads in Moscow. Some friends of mine were at the match :mad:

The Russians were calling the Irish fans "green marxists" due to some of the Celtic & other Irish fans connections to German club St Pauli who have an extreme left wing following.

There is a big difference regarding security when it comes to tournaments and just once off games.

Like i said above I would imangine Polish police know most of these guys and will be either tracking them constantly over the tournament or just basically throwing them into a cell for the duration of the games.

Lets hope so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

CucaFace wrote: »
    There is a big difference regarding security when it comes to tournaments and just once off games.

Like i said above I would imangine Polish police know most of these guys and will be either tracking them constantly over the tournament or just basically throwing them into a cell for the duration of the games.

Lets hope so anyway.

I don't think there's any real danger of problems at or around matches. If problems happen it'll be away from the football itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Danzig has a lot of beautiful old buildings that could potentially crumble down on yore head
    Well, that's as offensive as calling Derry the other name.
    Gdansk to stay on the safer side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any real danger of problems at or around matches. If problems happen it'll be away from the football itself.

I agree. If anything happens it will be while you and a few others are walking somewhere.

You just have to hope that Poland is not FULL of thugs.

If it is just a core group of guys I honestly believe they will be kept under wraps by the authorities for the tournament.

It is what is normally done.

Lets just hope this is the case and everyone returns home safe and sound.

Me included.

Is it safe to walk after dark in Finglas, Tallagh, or Ballymoon?
    I guess it is not, so if you follow the same rule in Poland and avoid strange places full of local scumbags you will be fine :)
    I find these reports from Guardian daily mail, and even BBC completely unuseful. Whats the point? why they won't spend more time on warning tourists going for Olympic in London ?

There is a risk of Terrorism, they are getting battleships to protect them, high risk of riots, etc. And worst thing is that English Police has no balls and if something happens they will stay around the corner doing nothing ( just search for videos from last year riots......
    UK media are talking about nazis, showing pictures of Nazi flag on the stadium - why they don't remind all readers their Prince Harry who was wearing Nazi symbols on one of the parties he attended?

This is something that would never happened in Poland in Ukraine.
    Ukraine Police is aggressive- thats fact, but if you are easygoing fan not looking for troubles why should you be worried? they usually don't beat for nothing :)

And Polish Police has so much experience with Hooligans that any riots or public disorders will be dealt with quickly and efficiently.

I'm sure you know the most important reason for Poland to host Euro 2012 - it is to promote Poland as tourists destination, and picture that world will get from Euros must be positive.
    As a Polish person I'm sure that that there is nothing to be afraid of.
    Of course you never can't feel 100% safe when attending large sport event when abroad, but seriously everything will be fine. As I wrote few days ago - POland is not a 3rd world country, and those of you who never was in Poland will get positive picture.

I hope that after you return you will upload loads of youtube videos and photos. I regret that I can't go there and chat and watch all fans visiting us.

one more word from me - at the peak time in 2007-8 estimated number for Polish people was around 100.000 in co.Dublin - Have you ever bean afraid of fact that 1 in 15 Dublin citizen was from Poland ? if not why? all sort of Polish arrived here from Doctors, and Engineers, footballs fans and hooligans to killlers and thefts who escaped from Polish justice system....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Roughly 2 years to the day since the BBC were running programs about how everyone was going to be mugged, kidnapped, raped and neck-tied at the World Cup in South Africa.

Exactly, sensationalist stuff to fill some airtime.

I'm loving all the eastern european experts crawling out of the woodwork also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Irish have nothing to be afraid of inPoland.
    Do you remember atmosphere during the friendly game on croke park few years back?
    it was great, no problems at all.

I was there in the lower Hogan. The atmosphere was tense (for a friendly) and on two occasions, Polish lads squared up to Irish fans who asked them to sit down. And there wasn't a steward or guard to be seen.

An awful lot of people can't tell the difference between English and Irish accents. And there will be a few English at the Ireland games.

I'm heading over for the Italy game. Can't wait but will be living in my green jersey when I get there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I don't know if it's been said already, and I don't fancy reading through another 8 pages. But as I said in the thread on this in the soccer forum;

"I don't like that they didn't distinguish between ultras and hooligans. They are not the same thing and people who watch a show like that may come away with an idea that they are."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Is it safe to walk after dark in Finglas, Tallagh, or Ballymoon?
    I guess it is not, so if you follow the same rule in Poland and avoid strange places full of local scumbags you will be fine :)
    Well you 'guess' wrong.
    I've walked around these places thousands of times during my lifetime without being harmed or attempted to being harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

who cares, football fans are expendable:p

Army MP officers (Żandarmeria Wojskowa), overall of 1,200 men, were given broader authority (comparable to one of police) for a period of June, 1st to July, 5th.

SMBTl.jpg

Additional forces will supplement 10,000 men strong Police force called up for Euro 2012. Among with Border Control (Straż Graniczna) and Anti-terrorist forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Watched that Panorama documetary there, shocking stuff to say the least but makes me angry that countries like these get to host the Euros, where the justice in that?

ANyway best of luck to anyone heading out there, sooner you than me, i'll watch from the comfort of my telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

books4sale wrote: »
    Watched that Panorama documetary there, shocking stuff to say the least but makes me angry that countries like these get to host the Euros, where the justice in that?

ANyway best of luck to anyone heading out there, sooner you than me, i'll watch from the comfort of my telly.

"Countries like these". COuntries like what? Countries that have scumbags? We have no chance then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

There will be no bother at all apart from isolated incidents. Trust me.

Although, Holland v Germany could be an issue, mainly on the Dutch side, but i'm sure this will be a tournament where the football does the talking. Don't listen to the British ****ing media. TBH, why i've even contributed to this thread, I don't know - I like actual FOOTBALL.

Not really.
    There is no problem with the Dutch fans to be expected. A few years ago a kind of "club" was set up that basically decides who get tickets for these kind of tournaments and WC/EC qualifiers. Holland play all their group matches in Ukraine and there will not be the masses of Dutch fans as in past tournaments.

The hardcore hooligans have no interest in the national team apart from maybe if a Holland - Germany is played in their own city.
    Holland - Germany in Rotterdam could get out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I think if we're sensible then we should be ok.
    Of course, it's all well and good saying that before we've spent the day drinking cans of strong Polish lager in the sun...

by wearing a bright green target and dancing around to alert the extremist hooligans

Watched that Panorama documetary there
    Can't vouch for Ukraine but as for Poland BBC showed you recordings of Lodz Derby (2nd and 3rd league) between two local football teams, with a long history of incidents/winnings/loosings between them. No way would you compare a Manchester United vs Manchester City game to one of the Champions League, that's for starters.

The reporter managed to cut the video so "**** the Euro 2012" signs on 2nd/3rd league matches could not be seen - these kind of people are not interested in international games. They are all about their favourite local and against the other. Tkt price and the drawing was another limiting factor not to have them in or around the stadium.

Lodz and Rzeszów are not a designated host cities for Euro 2012. Krakow as we know is not a place where Irish are playing, right?

Plus what you've seen was a game in Rzeszów recorded in 2010.
    If it is so dangerous in Poland why haven't we seen recent recordings form Poznan or Gdansk? Whole families sitting on the benches would not fit the image?

You'll be as safe in Poland as in London seeing the recent riots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

The biggest nemesis to the Irish supporters is going to be the poles drunk tanks,they will never be as busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Euros? Few Naggins

Be Grand

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I have spend lots of time in Poland, Both in the cities and out in the country side. I have never had a problem. not once. The people are sound.
    the only problem i ever had is that i have being trying to learn Polish and would try to order tea and food in polish, and the person would answer back in English and tell that my polish is very good.
    also they find it unbelievable that i put milk into my tea.

The best way to describe it is that it Ireland only warmer.
    And in Ireland if you got looking for trouble you find it.

Also if the polish were looking my big Gypsy Wedding, they think that Ireland was full of fist fighting mad men.
    It’s BBC making a buck. That all it is.

countries like what?

Am I right saying that your favourite tv programs are BIg brother and big fat gypsies weddings, and you read the sun and daily mail?

Quite a few of my Irish colleagues/ people I know were in Poland and they all enjoyed their holiday. I can't see why it should be different this time. Panorama journalists should better take care of their olympics, terrorists, battleships and all these riots and useless police.

It is very easy to show few black sheeps and and say that this is how all country looks like.

I'm sure that you wouldn't be happy if any television from abroad would show some small internal problems with your locals and made a huge deal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Beefy78 wrote: »
    You can't get jailed for the crime that Terry is being prosecuted over. It's a £250 fine maximum penalty, I believe.

Nice joke though.

It's a joke alright.

Amazing what money and a good barrister can do for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Apples and oranges. Terry wasn't inciting racial hatred, which is what that kid was found guilty of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

shar01 wrote: »
    Irish have nothing to be afraid of inPoland.
    Do you remember atmosphere during the friendly game on croke park few years back?
    it was great, no problems at all.

I was there in the lower Hogan. The atmosphere was tense (for a friendly) and on two occasions, Polish lads squared up to Irish fans who asked them to sit down. And there wasn't a steward or guard to be seen.

An awful lot of people can't tell the difference between English and Irish accents. And there will be a few English at the Ireland games.

I'm heading over for the Italy game. Can't wait but will be living in my green jersey when I get there!!
    to be fair to them polish lads they had every right to tell the people who told them to sit down at a football match where to go,nothing as annoying at a match as someone telling you to sit down,thank God for the ybig section in the aviva nowadays...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

if the ones we got coming over here are anything to go by, i 'ld stay well clear of it and leave 'em to it.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I have spend lots of time in Poland, Both in the cities and out in the country side. I have never had a problem. not once. The people are sound.
    the only problem i ever had is that i have being trying to learn Polish and would try to order tea and food in polish, and the person would answer back in English and tell that my polish is very good.
    also they find it unbelievable that i put milk into my tea.

The best way to describe it is that it Ireland only warmer.
    And in Ireland if you got looking for trouble you find it.

Also if the polish were looking my big Gypsy Wedding, they think that Ireland was full of fist fighting mad men.
    It’s BBC making a buck. That all it is.

i agree, though poland can be extremely rough at times... just like ireland... its not who you know its what you know at the end of the day.

countries like what?

Am I right saying that your favourite tv programs are BIg brother and big fat gypsies weddings, and you read the sun and daily mail?

Sorry, come again, haven't seen them, I live in Korea these days and have been back and forth to Ireland in the last 10 years so can't say i'm familar, have heard of the big brother alright, he is everywhere these days.

I think we all know what countries I mean, ones where they drive ladas or tanks left over from the cold war, shoot off AK's for fun, marry their sisters and have giant bright glowing radioactive chickens running free in the wild from the effects of Chernoble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

if the ones we got coming over here are anything to go by, i 'ld stay well clear of it and leave 'em to it.:eek:

they are the adidas crew, generally the wesaker, more show off lads, the Red hand gangsters and serious criminals from ukraine... their a dangerous bunch.

also lads and ladies please remember: polish/ukraine police take no **** from nobody, city police will do their best to annoy you, normal police have guns and their SPU will shoot to kill no bother, so dont go mad over their with a hurl if ye can avoid it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sorry, come again, haven't seen them, I live in Korea these days and have been back and forth to Ireland in the last 10 years so can't say i'm familar, have heard of the big brother alright, he is everywhere these days.

I think we all know what countries I mean, ones where they drive ladas or tanks left over from the cold war, shoot off AK's for fun, marry their sisters and have giant bright glowing radioactive chickens running free in the wild from the effects of Chernoble.
    Christ. I really hope you're joking. :rolleyes:

cournioni wrote: »
    Christ. I really hope you're joking. :rolleyes:

...and there's more, haven't you seen 'Hostel'?

...and there's more, haven't you seen 'Hostel'?
    1UJvH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Pdfile wrote: »
    also lads and ladies please remember: polish/ukraine police take no **** from nobody, city police will do their best to annoy you, normal police have guns and their SPU will shoot to kill no bother, so dont go mad over their with a hurl if ye can avoid it ?

cringe.

complaints about ukraine and poland from people who have never been over there are pretty embarrassing. You're more likely to get attacked walking around Dublin in the early hours.

some people are just so ignorant it's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having worked in both countries and doing reports and TV work on hooliganism in these countries I can tell you that it can be scary place to be.

As bad as Poland was Ukraine just seemed on different level. In Poland at least the Police would get involved some of the time, but in Ukraine they sit back and watch it unfold.

Nothing more said then seeing Pro Nazi signs at games in Poland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Them Polish hools are mad, last time I heard in Poznan they pick on one Polish lad walking with few mates. They just approached him and asked him , do you want to fight, he looked back at them puzzled, he opened his eyes in hospital.Lol

Nothing more said then seeing Pro Nazi signs at games in Poland though.
    You won't be seeing them at Euro 2012 matches just 'cause they are not interested in international league.

Used to live 800 mtrs from Poznan Stadium for 4 years as had Croke Park in my backyard for 2 years. Can't tell the difference. No fights, no nazi signs, just families and friends enjoying their time.

Cool Rider wrote: »
    Them Polish hools are mad, last time I heard in Poznan they pick on one Polish lad walking with few mates. They just approached him and asked him , do you want to fight, he looked back at them puzzled, he opened his eyes in hospital.Lol

Such a non story. What's your source?

beazee wrote: »
    Such a non story. What's your source?

The guy's girl friend who got beaten.....

Leftist wrote: »
    cringe.

complaints about ukraine and poland from people who have never been over there are pretty embarrassing. You're more likely to get attacked walking around Dublin in the early hours.

some people are just so ignorant it's laughable.

Dont know about Ukraine but I go to Poland twice every year for last 5 years, dont see any lies being told here. I will say things are much worse than portrayed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

I was in Ukraine last summer. They love fighting. Enjoy!

Cool Rider wrote: »
    they pick on one Polish lad walking with few mates. They just approached him and asked him , do you want to fight, he looked back at them puzzled, he opened his eyes in hospital

Soure: The guy's girl friend who got beaten.....

When was it, at least which month, I am willing to confirm the story with local police. Daylight? Evening? Midnight?
    Where was it? Which part of the city? Jezyce? Wilda?
    "Polish lad walking" - was he just walking or looking for trouble? What does he do for a living? Age? Was he local or "just visiting"?
    Any info as to which hospital was he admitted to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WallabyPie

Michael Ansley (former NBA player, who lives in Poland since 2000) responds to Campbell's racist remarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

WallabyPie wrote: »
    Michael Ansley (former NBA player, who lives in Poland since 2000) responds to Campbell's racist remarks

maybe he should watch it again, no one is saying Poland is a horrible country,

better to be forewarned to some degree, at least it gives you a chance to be alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

T'will be safer than cycling up Dorset street in the evening anyway ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    T'will be safer than cycling up Dorset street in the evening anyway ;)

How do you mean?

I used to cycle that route a lot during my working days in Dublin and never had a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Been to Poland a few times with work and I've had a few racist comments thrown my way. Heard the word czarnuch a good few times. Even from professionals under their breath probably assuming I didn't know the word. I knew what that meant from a previous incident in Ireland where I had it wrote on my car and I asked a Polish friend what it meant. No fights or attacks or nothing. Just once I had a group of young lads throw some small juice cartons over at me and shout stuff. Not sure what they were saying though.

Anyways my point is. Having had some racist shít thrown my way over there and seen that panorama show I'm still going to Poznan for the Euros. Would be stupid to brand an entire country based on a few peoples actions. Especially during an event of heightened security with the world's eyes on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

flas wrote: »
    to be fair to them polish lads they had every right to tell the people who told them to sit down at a football match where to go,nothing as annoying at a match as someone telling you to sit down,thank God for the ybig section in the aviva nowadays...

True... and was probably a bit of sour grapes - Poland had gone ahead. But there's telling someone where to go and there's squaring up to a dad with his kids (who aren't six feet tall and can't see the pitch when blokes are standing).

It just wasn't a nice atmosphere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

You've never been so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think books4sale is mistaking Poland for 1970s Soviet Union.

Advertisement