Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

euro 2012 how safe will it be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Cool Rider wrote: »
    Them Polish hools are mad, last time I heard in Poznan they pick on one Polish lad walking with few mates. They just approached him and asked him , do you want to fight, he looked back at them puzzled, he opened his eyes in hospital.Lol

them Irish citizens are mad.. Believe me or not, but I have seen on the telly, and read in the paper, that they kill foreigners with screwdrivers just for nothing.. whats more they Irish kill hard working foreigners who are on their way to work at 5am with shoes only. Wild country is Ireland.

And worst are their kids.. they will throw abuse at you, they will throw fireworks at you, they will even throw snowballs with stones inside at your car. It doesn't matter that you are tall fit guy. They kids know that if you touch them, you will go to jail. And Irish kids love to demolish houses with stones if you put their attention on their sometimes bad behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Cool Rider wrote: »
    Them Polish hools are mad, last time I heard in Poznan they pick on one Polish lad walking with few mates. They just approached him and asked him , do you want to fight, he looked back at them puzzled, he opened his eyes in hospital.Lol

them Irish citizens are mad.. Believe me or not, but I have seen on the telly, and read in the paper, that they kill foreigners with screwdrivers just for nothing.. whats more they Irish kill hard working foreigners who are on their way to work at 5am with shoes only. Wild country is Ireland.

And worst are their kids.. they will throw abuse at you, they will throw fireworks at you, they will even throw snowballs with stones inside at your car. It doesn't matter that you are tall fit guy. They kids know that if you touch them, you will go to jail. And Irish kids love to demolish houses with stones if you put their attention on their sometimes bad behaviour.
    Why are you here then,ohh that's right for the work and money,I hope every other pole is not as negative as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

go easy on the alcohol and be respectful to the host citys and you will have no trouble

@ Sappa -u are wrong. I'm here cos I love Ireland. My post was reply to cool rider and other who post something to do a mess only. I heard, i think, maybe, friend of my friend told me that his friend.... - u know what I mean?. you also didn't get my black humour. few people here try to make a Poland's picture as a 3rd world country without any facts, thats why I replied to get them to step back and think about their own country first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

you couldn't say anyone was safe really. Ireland should be safer than most as we don't have any players who will be targets of racism

• Advertisement

@ Sappa -u are wrong. I'm here cos I love Ireland. My post was reply to cool rider and other who post something to do a mess only. I heard, i think, maybe, friend of my friend told me that his friend.... - u know what I mean?. you also didn't get my black humour. few people here try to make a Poland's picture as a 3rd world country without any facts, thats why I replied to get them to step back and think about their own country first.
    Any where in the world your going to get idiots when huge congregations of football fans come together,there are going to be Irish guys running into trouble without a doubt as many local hooligans not representing the Polish people will try and create trouble with lots of drunken Irish.
    Plenty of people have lost there lives in Ireland at the hands of Polish nationals Marcin but you are obviously here a few years and know that many of these killings by Irish or Polish are random acts by a small minority of either society.
    Just annoys me when I hear Polish folk here slating the country after we have given so many opportunities to Polish nationals over the years,I would hope the Irish will be welcomed in Poland and that the event goes well,I am under no illusion that Poland is s safe haven of serenity but I know it's no worse or no better than Ireland for law and order.

Sappa wrote: »
    Any where in the world your going to get idiots when huge congregations of football fans come together,there are going to be Irish guys running into trouble without a doubt as many local hooligans not representing the Polish people will try and create trouble with lots of drunken Irish.
    Plenty of people have lost there lives in Ireland at the hands of Polish nationals Marcin but you are obviously here a few years and know that many of these killings by Irish or Polish are random acts by a small minority of either society.
    Just annoys me when I hear Polish folk here slating the country after we have given so many opportunities to Polish nationals over the years,I would hope the Irish will be welcomed in Poland and that the event goes well,I am under no illusion that Poland is s safe haven of serenity but I know it's no worse or no better than Ireland for law and order.

I agree with you mostly, I don't like only that part where you wrote about slating Ireland. I only wrote what is a fact and you can't disagree with me on this. My intention is only to stop writing how dangerous is Poland and that it is not safe to go there. It is same safe for Polish in Ireland as for Irish in Poland. of course football tournament is different thing, and there are emotions, alcohol, and large groups of fans - that is why I actually trust and believe our Police forces who have great experience after many incidents in the past at 1,2,3,4 league events. Top priority for Poland is promote country as tourists destination I wrote this before few times. and everything will be done to get good picture sent around.

Of course I don't say there won't be any crime incidents - just don't go and don't do things you wouldn't do while on holidays with your family and all will be ok

I agree with you mostly, I don't like only that part where you wrote about slating Ireland. I only wrote what is a fact and you can't disagree with me on this. My intention is only to stop writing how dangerous is Poland and that it is not safe to go there. It is same safe for Polish in Ireland as for Irish in Poland. of course football tournament is different thing, and there are emotions, alcohol, and large groups of fans - that is why I actually trust and believe our Police forces who have great experience after many incidents in the past at 1,2,3,4 league events. Top priority for Poland is promote country as tourists destination I wrote this before few times. and everything will be done to get good picture sent around.

Of course I don't say there won't be any crime incidents - just don't go and don't do things you wouldn't do while on holidays with your family and all will be ok
    By slating Ireland I mean the amount of people from Poland I know who hate everything here and whinge about the place.
    It really irkes me as we as a nation have readily accepted this massive immigration,I know the weather sucks we all don't enjoy this but a few Polish I know just complain about this country where they are given huge opportunities.
    Off the point I know,I understand your trying to portray Poland as a nice place to visit and I have no doubt the vast majority of Irish will have a good Euro soccer trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ARLP

Just watching the documentary now.

Was unaware that Austria and Czech had switched places! ;)

bbcq.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'm eagerly anticipating the BBC's Panorama show on the London 2012 Olympics showing the London riots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

flash1080 wrote: »
    I'm eagerly anticipating the BBC's Panorama show on the London 2012 Olympics showing the London riots.

I think you're the first person to have made that joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

By slating Ireland I mean the amount of people from Poland I know who hate everything here and whinge about the place.

Except the benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

woodoo wrote: »
    Except the benefits

Wonderful contribution :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Why are you here then,ohh that's right for the work and money,I hope every other pole is not as negative as you.

Yer irony detector may need a bit of tweak :D

ARLP wrote: »
    Was unaware that Austria and Czech had switched places! ;)
    bbcq.png

Yugoslavia disappeared in 1992. Was called Serbia and Montenegro until 2006 and should be named Serbia since.

beazee wrote: »

Yer irony detector may need a bit of tweak :D
    Pull a quote out of context and it may appear as that,good girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Irish players getting gored in Gdynia, Poland during their first training there.

WARNING: graphic images, viewer discretion advised.

http://www.sport.pl/euro2012/10,127118,11874650,_Pierwszy_trening_Irlandczykow_w_Gdyni.html

Fecking Polish hooligans... :mad:

Fecking Polish hooligans... :mad:
    Disgraceful!
    How could police allow such thing to happen?
    That's a wild country I tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WallabyPie

Commentary on the BBC Panorama "Stadiums of Hate" in The Economist: link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was just watching BBC1 Panorama about Euro 2012 and how safe will it be for fans who will be travelling, some serious stuff on it which only happened lately,

racism and violence at a peak, tis not somewhere I would like to be going right now, most if not all games showing Polish fans giving the seig heil shout with the right arm straight salute,

it shows a group of Indian students at a game in the family section supporting the local team receiving a beating from the local fans,

so how many of you guys going over?

will shin pads be enough protection.
    I actually could not tell if that programme was real or a Brasseye style spoof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Racism - EUFA shows its form.

Link

Raiser wrote: »
    Link

Now that is interesting. Heard the same narration this morning in Sky News (wondering wtf is going on?). Checked Polish press on yesterday's Dutch training on Wisla Kraków Stadium - not a single word on racism, few on a small group shouting "Fcuk Euro". How could one find the truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Raiser wrote: »

Link

:confused:

How could one find the truth?
    Got something:
    And it's not some daily but a well established opinion magazine.

Google translated for your convenience:
    Scandinavian media accuse. "Racist scandal, the Poles imitate monkeys"

2012-06-07 23:13
    Scandinavian media, including major television stations, radio and newspapers described the "racist scandal" that had to happen on Wednesday, 6 June, during the Dutch national team training in Krakow.

Media invoked at the same time the largest in terms of circulation Danish daily "Ekstrabladet". The article titled "Rasist scandal in Poland," newspaper reported that the audience seated closest to the Wisla Kraków stadium pitch behaved racist against the three players of color representation of the Netherlands. "Imitating the sounds of monkeys led to the coach of the Netherlands moved to the other side football pitch" - writes the Danish newspaper, citing the opinions of Dutch journalists present at the training.

On Thursday, the material has been quoted by major Scandinavian newspapers: Norwegian "Verdens Gang" and "Aftenposten", Swedish 'Expressen "and" Aftonbladet "and public television and private channels in Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Newspapers, in the context of this material are reminded of the BBC documentary about the stadiums hate who this week has been issued by almost all Nordic TV channels. "Ekstrabladet" journalists as a place to obtain information gave Kolobrzeg, where Denmark representation is based. (Kolobrzeg is 750km away from Kraków - beazee)

Polish Press Agency reporter who was present in the training of Dutch players, denied reports of a Danish tabloid. Training - according to his relationships - has been seen by some 25,000 fans. Competitors were greeted with applause. In the course of half an hour of training a group of spectators sang ... "National anthem", there were also chants supporters club of the Vistula. Fans bid farewell to vice-world "Mexican wave" in the stands and players thanked the applause.

After training, the Dutch coach Bert van Marwijk praised the atmosphere at the stadium. - Training with such a large audience is something special. The atmosphere in the stadium was fantastic - he said. Training watched dozens of Dutch journalists. At a later conference, no one of them asked about the alleged incident.

Know your sources FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Irish and British newspapers report that there were racist chants, but a Polish one says otherwise so we should believe that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Collie D wrote: »
    Wonderful contribution :rolleyes:
    true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got something:
    And it's not some daily but a well established opinion magazine.

Google translated for your convenience:

Know your sources FTW

Know when managers are desperate to be political and pretend all is well. The truth is out, UEFA have now noted there were racist noises from Poles at the Dutch training camp.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/06/08/2050.ap.soc.euro.2012.netherlands.racism.0526/index.html

The reason UEFA have been slow to react is that the Dutch FA did not make an official complaint.
    WARSAW, Poland (AP) - UEFA has been informed that there was racist chanting at the Netherlands team training this week and said Friday it will take action if there is a repeat of such abuse.

"UEFA has now been made aware that there were some isolated incidents of racist chanting,'' UEFA said in a statement.

Netherlands captain Mark van Bommel has been quoted as complaining about racist chants at one end of the stadium during a training session that was open to the public on Wednesday. About 25,000 spectators attended the session.

So Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Irish and British newspapers report that there were racist chants, but a Polish one says otherwise so we should believe that?

We should listen to what Dutch have actually said not what Danish wrote Dutch heard. Unless I see a video from the training showing racist behavior and hear Dutch team saying this is was problem that actually happened I say this hearsay.

We should listen to what Dutch have actually said not what Danish wrote Dutch heard. Unless I see a video from the training showing racist behavior and hear Dutch team saying this is was problem that actually happened I say this hearsay.

Then why have UEFA commented on it?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    UEFA have now noted there were racist noises from Poles at the Dutch training camp.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/06/08/2050.ap.soc.euro.2012.netherlands.racism.0526/index.html
    The reason UEFA have been slow to react is that the Dutch FA did not make an official complaint.
    Unable to find the UEFA's statement cited by most of Irish and British media on official uefa.com. Anyone more luck searching?

Interesting why Dutch FA is so slow filing official complaint on racial abuse?

Instead found a Dutch correspondent (not Danish journo) blog entry (must be collaborating with them racists there):
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/blogs/blog=blog_netherlands_team/postid=1804057.html

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Then why have UEFA commented on it?

Where have they commented on it?
    UEFA's source welcomed

Where have they commented on it?
    UEFA's source welcomed

The Associated Press isn't in the business of making up direct quotes. If they've a quote from a UEFA Spokesman (which they do) it's likely because UEFA have issued a statement or press release.

it's likely because UEFA have issued a statement or press release.
    No luck in News Section: http://www.uefa.com/news/index.html

No luck googling:
    wisla dutch racist statement site:www.uefa.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/euro-2012-50-polish-thugs-867613

Polish hooligans kicking the shyte out of some english fans

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

They apparently only eat swans and there's no evidence of wide-spread cannibalism in that area. However, if you want to see how they treat tourists over there, watch Hostel. It's a very sad true story of some young guys who just wanted to have some fun. I know it's Czech Republic but very close, so watch out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Organised attack on foreigners, sounds very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

davet82 wrote: »

The article says "english-speaking fans", not "english fans" - big difference!

Some gems from the article:
    Two pubgoers were injured in the attack.

The carnage!
    Police took more than ten minutes to reach the pub.

More than ten minutes? Was it less than twenty? Doesnt sound like too bad a response time to me.
    Before the incident, the visitors were reported talking and chanting in English and Russian.

Doesn't say whether the 'visitors' are the attackers or the victims. Either way if they were speaking russian they were unlikely to be english, or even western european. Sounding more like a grudge thing to me.
    "These lads' mums and and dads(referring to Polish police) rioted under Soviet machine guns - a few chairs thrown by beered up fans is not going to intimidate them."

I had to smile. Not in disrespect, but at the bravado. Fair play to them.

haminka wrote: »
    They apparently only eat swans and there's no evidence of wide-spread cannibalism in that area. However, if you want to see how they treat tourists over there, watch Hostel. It's a very sad true story of some young guys who just wanted to have some fun. I know it's Czech Republic but very close, so watch out.

I'll add it to my watch list. Is it like that American tourist video? With the girl and the guy in the B+B... and the mother... what was it called? Oh yeah, Psycho? Is it like that? That was indicative of a very realy phenomenon of american men killing and dressing up as their mother and killing young girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

syklops wrote: »
    I'll add it to my watch list. Is it like that American tourist video? With the girl and the guy in the B+B... and the mother... what was it called? Oh yeah, Psycho? Is it like that? That was indicative of a very realy phenomenon of american men killing and dressing up as their mother and killing young girls.

It's even worse. The horror. The horror.

Def a place I'd come in for a pint and a fight:
    2fo1x.jpg | bikzv.jpg

It is not confirmed whether there were any English speaking or Russian speaking football fans. Sure is the roughest area of Lodz. Why going there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Earlier this week Polish police warned hooligans that they will face police dogs trained to bite “directly in the testicles” if trouble kicks off.

Interesting

syklops wrote: »
    The article says "english-speaking fans", not "english fans" - big difference!

apologies, i misread the article (i was multi tasking in work :) ) and persuming that it was a headline in an english paper... its really a non story then

its really a non story then
    Surprised? seriously? it's mirror, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TonyTonga

The irony alone in this thread is hilarious. You've got a couple of posters lambasting the Poles labelling them as all racist, skinheads and at the same time describing them as 'juiced up, dole recepients'.

One poster even, 'apparently', lived in Warsaw, he had a small business there, he knows them and even gives a few stories. What a load of tosh. He goes onto call the Polish everything from being aggressive, on steroids, defrauding the welfare and uneducated. I think its pretty clear he has an agenda.

Then we have posters talking about how 'dangerous' Poland is. Have any of these posters looked at the per population murder rates between Ireland and Poland? I hate to break it to you, but Ireland is more dangerous.

How many Polish have been killed here by scumbags? A Polish man on his way to work at 6am had his head kicked in so badly by Irish scumbags that brain matter was coming out of his nose. Two Polish men were stabbed in the head with screw drivers and killed following one of them refusing to get some teenage knacker alcohol at the off licence.

Sorry guys but you get scum everywhere, so lets give your stupid little racist **** a rest.

I have lived in Poland, I am married to a Polish girl and I can speak the language. The only place where there is in anyway a small animosity element towards Irish is krakow and even then its not so much Irish as drunken, interrailing students who piss all over the streets and think the 'poor' Polish girls are impressed because they are from Ireland/UK and are wealthy.

What I will say is this. For Polish men, respect is everything. They don't tolerate disrespect. They won't tolerate their streets being pissed on, they won't tolerate sleazy things being shouted at their women and they won't tolerate hordes of lads causing trouble.

The Irish travelling football fans are in the majority not like this so I can't see there being any problems. I can see there being problems for the English fans.

Enjoy it, Poland's a beautiful place. The people are very reserved at first but once they are comfortable with you they will be hugely open.

And to the mods : Why are posters on this forum continuously allowed to insinuate that the Polish people are steroid users, defraud social welfare, aggressive etc? Surely if I said all african men use cocaine, or break the law or go around starting fights etc. then it would be a banning?

TonyTonga wrote: »
    One poster even, 'apparently', lived in Warsaw, he had a small business there, he knows them and even gives a few stories. What a load of tosh. He goes onto call the Polish everything from being aggressive, on steroids, defrauding the welfare and uneducated. I think its pretty clear he has an agenda.

Yeah clearly that individual has an agenda or is bitter about something.

i'm sure if the Ireland/Scotland euro 2018 was to come to pass there would be guys on french forums ect worried about the irish drunks fighting :pac:

but in all seriousness there is human garbage in every city/country so i dont think you can paint a whole race in a bad light because you met one of these wánkers

TonyTonga wrote: »
    And to the mods : Why are posters on this forum continuously allowed to insinuate that the Polish people are steroid users, defraud social welfare, aggressive etc? Surely if I said all african men use cocaine, or break the law or go around starting fights etc. then it would be a banning?

A bit rich considering in the same post you say that the English will have bother because we will disrespect the Poles and say things to their women.

But yeah, I can't disagree with the rest of what you wrote. If you keep your wits about you and don't act like a cock then you'll likely be alright, as you will in most places in the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TonyTonga

A bit rich considering in the same post you say that the English will have bother because we will disrespect the Poles and say things to their women.

But yeah, I can't disagree with the rest of what you wrote. If you keep your wits about you and don't act like a cock then you'll likely be alright, as you will in most places in the World.

Nothing to do with that. Its more the fact that the Irish soccer travelling support have a great reputation and have never been involved in the large scale scuffles at tournaments that the English and Dutch for example have. For whatever reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Its seems like this competition is only getting known for one thing, 'racism'.

If it keeps going like this, FIFA need to admit their mistake on the host countries, cancel the tournament, move it to a more civilised country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

books4sale wrote: »
    Its seems like this competition is only getting known for one thing, 'racism'.

If it keeps going like this, FIFA need to admit their mistake on the host countries, cancel the tournament, move it to a more civilised country.

Like where?

• Advertisement
Advertisement