Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

euro 2012 how safe will it be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

books4sale wrote: »
    Its seems like this competition is only getting known for one thing, 'racism'.

If it keeps going like this, FIFA need to admit their mistake on the host countries, cancel the tournament, move it to a more civilised country.

Violence starting to break out too. Russian fans attacking Polish stewards and clashing with Ukrainian fans.

Cant say I didnt expect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Where's the testicle chewing canines that were promised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Where's the testicle chewing canines that were promised?

You not remember ? They rounded up all the dogs and burnt them. They didnt think this through at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Heard that dogs were trained to attack testicles only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Translation below

Its seems like (I've read in the daily mail) this competition is only getting known for (and the mirror) one thing, 'racism' (sensationalism).

If it keeps going like this (if I continue to be influenced by rags like the mirror), FIFA (UEFA) need to (have to) admit their mistake (pander to nobodies like me) on the host countries, cancel the tournament, move it to a more civilised country (English speaking country that has no social issues) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

keith16 wrote: »
    Like where?

Mogadishu

keith16 wrote: »
    Translation below

:D:D Thanks for the laugh,

.... but I live in the Asia so I don't be getting your 'high falutin' newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

as long as you avoid the bull****e there wont be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

TonyTonga wrote: »
    The irony alone in this thread is hilarious. You've got a couple of posters lambasting the Poles labelling them as all racist, skinheads and at the same time describing them as 'juiced up, dole recepients'.

One poster even, 'apparently', lived in Warsaw, he had a small business there, he knows them and even gives a few stories. What a load of tosh. He goes onto call the Polish everything from being aggressive, on steroids, defrauding the welfare and uneducated. I think its pretty clear he has an agenda.

Then we have posters talking about how 'dangerous' Poland is. Have any of these posters looked at the per population murder rates between Ireland and Poland? I hate to break it to you, but Ireland is more dangerous.

How many Polish have been killed here by scumbags? A Polish man on his way to work at 6am had his head kicked in so badly by Irish scumbags that brain matter was coming out of his nose. Two Polish men were stabbed in the head with screw drivers and killed following one of them refusing to get some teenage knacker alcohol at the off licence.

Sorry guys but you get scum everywhere, so lets give your stupid little racist **** a rest.

I have lived in Poland, I am married to a Polish girl and I can speak the language. The only place where there is in anyway a small animosity element towards Irish is krakow and even then its not so much Irish as drunken, interrailing students who piss all over the streets and think the 'poor' Polish girls are impressed because they are from Ireland/UK and are wealthy.

What I will say is this. For Polish men, respect is everything. They don't tolerate disrespect. They won't tolerate their streets being pissed on, they won't tolerate sleazy things being shouted at their women and they won't tolerate hordes of lads causing trouble.

The Irish travelling football fans are in the majority not like this so I can't see there being any problems. I can see there being problems for the English fans.

Enjoy it, Poland's a beautiful place. The people are very reserved at first but once they are comfortable with you they will be hugely open.

And to the mods : Why are posters on this forum continuously allowed to insinuate that the Polish people are steroid users, defraud social welfare, aggressive etc? Surely if I said all african men use cocaine, or break the law or go around starting fights etc. then it would be a banning?

Well said Tony.

I love the Polish

Drinking with a Polish and Slovak lad now in friends house watching greatest world cup moments.

There is good and bad people everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

GKpOH.jpg
    Irish fans greet Policja in Poznań Old Market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

beazee wrote: »
    GKpOH.jpg
    Irish fans greet Policja in Poznań Old Market

legends

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Hate to say that but I told you so [news on Irish fans attacked in Poznan]:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/euro-2012-irish-fans-run-872394

Cool Rider wrote: »
    Hate to say but that's mirror you're linking to. Same story on the first page of todays Metro.
    The fight in Poznan lasted less than 15 minutes. Started on Sat night by drunken Croatian fans who tried to stop other Croats from messing. Riot police was on site and got them sorted. No one injured, some chairs broken. Even the YT clip title says it all: "Bitka chulignu Chorvatska s polici v centru Poznane - 10.06.2012" - Croat hooligans fight against the police in Poznan city centre

As for the part citing Lodz - that was discussed here already. A non story.

And as to the Russians who beat EURO 2012 steward - CCTV footage been reviewed and involved parties photographs published to fish them fcekers out in the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

beazee wrote: »
    Hate to say but that's mirror you're linking to. Same story on the first page of todays Metro.
    Saw that story in metro but its not in irishtimes or independent's online link (funny enough but makes sense to curb it to avoid backlash, and I am all for it).
    It was headlined on all english online papers though...

It was headlined on all english online papers though...
    Cause it makes a perfect headline selling the newspaper.
    Who cares if this not true? Them readers won't notice.
    Eastern Europeans are animals. Polish hooligans are racists. Run for your life!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

^^^
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kasia84

Who knows more about racism in Poland than John Godson, one of Poland’s two black MPs, said in an interview in Wprost magazine:  “I believe that Poland is a tolerant country. Very much on this matter has changed and continues to change for the better. Poles have ever more opportunity to come into contact with foreigners - such as dark-skinned people - and that is better for them. Recall that in the election 30,000 people voted for me. Do you need any other proof of the tolerance of Poles?”
    http://shebapost.com/content/bbc-grossly-exaggerates-racism-poland-and-ukrain

And:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12294887

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

rKossi wrote: »
    legends
    Gomeys.

Oh and it looks photoshopped to me.

• Advertisement

thebuzz wrote: »
    Gomeys.

Oh and it looks photoshopped to me.

In what way does it look Photoshop'd? It definitely isn't

http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=1be96c28b97c079b30f902a3882d11237fab4387.110336

If it was, the 'added' bits would show up as white splodges in the bottom image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was there Sat night. I'm sure they were Polish that started it. I saw them parading in from one of the side streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

^^^
    Banned.

I thought he was being sarcastic ?? :confused: ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 WallabyPie

Euro-Polish police say trouble at a minimum
    Polish police have made just 72 arrests since the start of Euro 2012 last Friday, fewer than on an average holiday weekend in the host country, the country's Ministry of Internal Affairs said in a statement on Monday.

The run-up to the tournament, which Poland is co-hosting with Ukraine, was marked by fears over racism and groups of soccer hooligans in both countries. There were violent incidents in the cities of Wroclaw and Poznan over the weekend, mainly involving Croatian and Russian fans.

But the ministry pointed to the relative calm at fan party zones in its major cities - the biggest ever at a European Championship - as evidence that the tournament is going off smoothly.

"Since the start of Euro 2012 in Poland altogether 905,000 fans have taken part in fan zones and stadiums," the ministry said.

"Police have detained 72 people, of which more than half have been under the influence of alcohol. That is decisively less than police normally record on other holiday weekends."

Authorities are also working hard to head off tensions around a march planned by Russian fans to the national stadium in Warsaw ahead of Tuesday's Group A game against the hosts. The game has emerged as one of the tournament's big potential flashpoints.

I thought he was being sarcastic ?? :confused: ??
    Thanks. We had that talked over and sorted out.

FIFA are to blame for this whole mess, all the trouble seems to be in Poland though.

Any word on the Ukraine, the breadbasket of Europe as it was once called, convenient that the world's worst nuke accident had to take place there, anyone attacked by a two headed, 5 eyeballed mutant giant glowing chicken yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

FIFA are to blame for this whole mess,

FIFA are to blame for what mess?
    all the trouble seems to be in Poland though.

What trouble? The arrest of 72 drunk people out of approx 905,000 fans?
    That's not trouble.

The tournament is going great so far. Are you the one that said earlier FIFA shouldn't have staged it there?

Poland v Russia tonight. If any meeting is likely to descend into chaos it's this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I have been in Poland since Saturday and I can say I feel very safe, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, the locals are very friendly, and when I was in Poznan for the Croatia game both sets of supporters were nothing but friendly to each other, the Croatians are a great bunch of lads. I know one things for sure, we aren't seeing any of this "trouble" that's being reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Media sensationalism I'd say. Loads (loads) of friends over there at the moment. Not one of them has seen a spot of bother from what I've heard so far.

There will always be some trouble at a Euro or World Cup tournament considering the number and mix of people but the way some news agencies are reporting it, you'd swear World War 3 had broken out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I would not be one bit surprised if we see a death or two tonight in Poland, the flag stunt the Russians pulled will cause anger........

That said, i'm sure most games are without violence, just not this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Patiently waiting for more news from Polandski, over 100 arrests and at least 10 injuries before kick off, 6000 police drafted in, riot police all over the gaff, would not like to be anywhere near that place tonight, could be a feckin warzone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Nailz wrote: »
    I have been in Poland since Saturday and I can say I feel very safe, I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, the locals are very friendly, and when I was in Poznan for the Croatia game both sets of supporters were nothing but friendly to each other, the Croatians are a great bunch of lads. I know one things for sure, we aren't seeing any of this "trouble" that's being reported.

Do you still feel the same? I've been watching football for 25 years, I've got hundreds of live games under my belt but I've never seen anything like tonight in Warsaw. Mental scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a great tournament and I've felt completely safe until tonight but there was some bad **** tonight.

What trouble? The arrest of 72 drunk people out of approx 905,000 fans?
    That's not trouble.

72 arrests sure is trouble, never could I see more clearer evidence, it only shows how under resourced the police are.

I have seen enough video evidence to know that everythings way out of control, fighting in the stadiums and spilling out on to the streets. Its a bloody warzone.

The cops need to start pulling the thumb out and get stuck in bringing law and order, it's out of control, the only alternative is for the footballing authorities to cancel this fiasco of a tournament.

These are indeed dark days for the beautiful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I just hope the Irish behave themselves in Gdansk, I heard word back today from the Carlsberg camp in Poznan that there was drunken Paddys causing disturbance after the Croatian match. I hope these failure celebrators get there arses in check and start behaving rationally, we've so far been appalling, if we beat Spain then the apes can celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Do you still feel the same? I've been watching football for 25 years, I've got hundreds of live games under my belt but I've never seen anything like tonight in Warsaw. Mental scenes.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a great tournament and I've felt completely safe until tonight but there was some bad **** tonight.

But you are aware what caused this, I mean apart from the fact that small percent of population should be still in jungle, despite which country they are from.

I know that 99% of Russian fans marching through Warsaw on their national holiday were peaceful, but whole march was provocation, vide Loyalist March in Dublin in 2006. Would you stay away from Dublin just because what happened on that day?

Marching across the river (Vistula) which has historical meaning to Poles, as in 1920 small Polish army stopped huge bolshevik army (battle is called Vistula miracle) is provocation and asking for trouble. Period.

Poland v Russia tonight. If any meeting is likely to descend into chaos it's this one.
    the flag stunt the Russians pulled will cause anger........
    Police in Warsaw have made over 183 arrests relating to clashes between Poland and Russia fans and expect to add to that number as investigations continue.

Co-hosts Poland drew 1-1 with their Group A rivals last night but the on-field action was accompanied by less savoury scenes in the city.

Prior to the match, at the National Stadium, thousands of Russian fans marched on the capital’s Poniatowski Bridge to mark Russia Day, considered a provocative gesture by some Poles whose nation was subjected to decades of rule by Moscow during the Cold War.

Flashpoints occurred there, as well as at the designated Fanzone in Plac Defilad Square, with reports of lesser disturbances during the match.

Police are understood to have deployed water canon and rubber bullets as part of their response.

A statement, released via www.policja.pl, read: “There are more than 183 hooligans caught by the police because of disorders in Warsaw – firstly during the march to National Stadion, secondly in the Fanzone in Plac Defilad Square.

“Among the kept persons there are fans of both teams – Russian and Polish.

“There are 10 persons, who are injured: 7 Polish, 2 Russians and 1 German - their lives are not in danger concerning the information from the medical services.

“The police operation is still lasting. The police officers are checking the surveillance system, police cameras and still (plan to) identify the hooligans who took part in the disorders. Further arrests are planned.”

The number of related injuries is reported to have subsequently risen to 15.

A Warsaw police spokesperson said: “We are still monitoring the situation and trying to identify the supporters involved. The operation is not over from our side as we continue in our attempts to catch those who are causing trouble.“
    http://euro2012.breakingnews.ie/news/more-arrests-planned-following-warsaw-clashes-555124.html

Sad to see clashes in Warsaw. Sad to see an outrageous actions of a group of hooligans give perfect excuse for some of you to paint whole picture black, criticize organisation and bash the nation.

What we saw was politics, a hard love between Poland and Russia and a group of fools whose only way to identify themselves is to fight the "enemy". Russian March seemed innocent for most of Poles, they left the history behind and focused on building the better future.

The result of a clash of fools who on one side pushed on marching over Poniatowski's bridge to mark Russia Day with fools who were there to repulse was unfortunately expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

72 arrests sure is trouble, never could I see more clearer evidence, it only shows how under resourced the police are.

I have seen enough video evidence to know that everythings way out of control, fighting in the stadiums and spilling out on to the streets. Its a bloody warzone.

The cops need to start pulling the thumb out and get stuck in bringing law and order, it's out of control, the only alternative is for the footballing authorities to cancel this fiasco of a tournament.

These are indeed dark days for the beautiful game.

Nope. You're twisting facts to suit your twisted views on the Polish.
    Bar last nights trouble, there is no "fighting in the stadiums and spilling out on to the streets" that the Polish are responsible for. It's not a "warzone".

If you think 72 arrests out of 905,000 is trouble, that should tell you something about the ridiculous standards you're setting for the tournament.
    If it keeps going like this, FIFA need to admit their mistake on the host countries, cancel the tournament, move it to a more civilised country.

Poland is a very civilised country actually, so again, you're talking out of our arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

books4sale wrote:
    it only shows how under resourced the police are.
    Thanks you brought a smile to my face. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

its almost time to bring up the troubles.

docentore wrote: »

But you are aware what caused this, I mean apart from the fact that small percent of population should be still in jungle, despite which country they are from.

I know that 99% of Russian fans marching through Warsaw on their national holiday were peaceful, but whole march was provocation, vide Loyalist March in Dublin in 2006. Would you stay away from Dublin just because what happened on that day?

Marching across the river (Vistula) which has historical meaning to Poles, as in 1920 small Polish army stopped huge bolshevik army (battle is called Vistula miracle) is provocation and asking for trouble. Period.

I can only comment on where I was and what I saw, which was the Fanzone in the centre of town where the issue wasn't a Poland vs Russia one, it was a Poland vs Polish Police one. Everything was ok until kick off when the place was full (it holds 100k) but there were thousand of people outside still. The police seemed to try to disperse them by using rubber bullets and tear gas, which drifted into the Fanzone and started to affect people standing around us. The fans outside kicked back against the a police and stewards, throwing bottles and fireworks at them and at people inside. There were people pouring over the walls inside and fireworks exposing onto the floor all around us.

To be fair it was one hour out of an amazing week. It was a fairly hairy hour though.

I can only comment on where I was and what I saw, which was the Fanzone in the centre of town where the issue wasn't a Poland vs Russia one, it was a Poland vs Polish Police one. Everything was ok until kick off when the place was full (it holds 100k) but there were thousand of people outside still. The police seemed to try to disperse them by using rubber bullets and tear gas, which drifted into the Fanzone and started to affect people standing around us. The fans outside kicked back against the a police and stewards, throwing bottles and fireworks at them and at people inside. There were people pouring over the walls inside and fireworks exposing onto the floor all around us.

To be fair it was one hour out of an amazing week. It was a fairly hairy hour though.

You have mentioned Warsaw, you didn't mention that you are at tournament. I assumed that you are saying this after watching news on BBC.

So you are in Poland now in town you can't name it. How did you get there if you don't know where you are?

docentore wrote: »

You have mentioned Warsaw, you didn't mention that you are at tournament. I assumed that you are saying this after watching news on BBC.

So you are in Poland now in town you can't name it. How did you get there if you don't know where you are?

Eh? I'm in Warsaw. Currently posting from my hotel room. About to head to Warsaw Zoo and then head back to the fanzone for tonight's games. I'll post some pictures if you like.

Beefy wrote:
    I can only comment on where I was and what I saw, which was the Fanzone in the centre of town where the issue wasn't a Poland vs Russia one, it was a Poland vs Polish Police one [\QUOTE]
    Beefy wrote:
    Eh? I'm in Warsaw. Currently posting from my hotel room. About to head to Warsaw Zoo and then head back to the fanzone for tonight's games. I'll post some pictures if you like. [\QUOTE]

Ahhhhhh, now I got you. So you are in Warsaw, the town in centre of Poland and you have witnessed, which actually is the place where Poland vs. Russia took place.

Those half-brained thugs that tried to take over the entrance to the fan zone where the same thugs that the whole provocation was targeted at. And because whole Russian march was well protected they moved to the easier target.

They are trouble makers, scumbags that can not speak about the rest of the nation. If someone thinks that all Poles are like that - well I feel a bit disappointed, but its one's right to have their own opinion.

EDIT: Wroclaw ZOO is a bit better ;) enjoy! I hope you will bring some good memories as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Ahhhhhh, now I got you. So you are in Warsaw, the town in centre of Poland and you have witnessed, which actually is the place where Poland vs. Russia took place.

Those half-brained thugs that tried to take over the entrance to the fan zone where the same thugs that the whole provocation was targeted at. And because whole Russian march was well protected they moved to the easier target.

They are trouble makers, scumbags that can not speak about the rest of the nation. If someone thinks that all Poles are like that - well I feel a bit disappointed, but its one's right to have their own opinion.[/QUOTE]

Same can be said for any countries who have a small hooligan element...I dont see too many people trying to say that all Polish people are violent scumbags...just the ...erm... violent scumbags. I think you have your nationalist blinkers on a little too tight maybe? ;)

Also...(and this may be a misconception) but dont people from Poland object to being referred to as 'Poles'? Might just be something I picked up, but thought that was the case...

• Advertisement

AEDIC wrote: »
    Same can be said for any countries who have a small hooligan element...I dont see too many people trying to say that all Polish people are violent scumbags...just the ...erm... violent scumbags. I think you have your nationalist blinkers on a little too tight maybe? ;)

Also...(and this may be a misconception) but dont people from Poland object to being referred to as 'Poles'? Might just be something I picked up, but thought that was the case...

I'm afraid that you are wrong mister, my nationalist blinkers are not to tight for the simple reason that I son't have one. My but patriotic heart is bleeding when reading opinions of people who don't have a clue what the whole thing is about or getting their opinions from Mirror/Sun style BBC tv program. If you would say that all Poles are stupid thugs because you saw a small, tiny riot-like fight I would argue with you. The same I would argue with my firends Poles after showing them Grafton street or Temple bar after midnight on weekend night that all Irish are fat, farting drunks who piss themselves and smell of sick. One reason - it is not true, in both cases.

Myself I don't mind being called Pole, as long as there isn't anything like stupid or racist in front of it.

They are trouble makers, scumbags that can not speak about the rest of the nation. If someone thinks that all Poles are like that - well I feel a bit disappointed, but its one's right to have their own opinion.

EDIT: Wroclaw ZOO is a bit better ;) enjoy! I hope you will bring some good memories as well.

Hasn't realised it was the same people. But yeah there were definitely a few out for bother.

But honestly, the rest of the trip out here in Warsaw and Poznan has been amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Holland V Germany is usually a hate filled affair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

^^^
    Banned.

banned for being sarcastic?
    he is Polish btw.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    banned for being sarcastic?
    he is Polish btw.

Yeah we figured it out via PM.