Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

euro 2012 how safe will it be

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Holland V Germany is usually a hate filled affair

On the field, matters have eased a bit recently. There are a few Dutch players in the Bundesliga, as well as Dutch managers, such as Huub Stevens and Bert van Marwijk.

In terms of Hooliganism, as far as I know, all known (and registered) German Hooligans have to report daily to their local Police station, twice on a match day. I don't think, they will turn up tonight, unless they want to be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

docentore wrote: »
    Myself I don't mind being called Pole, as long as there isn't anything like stupid or racist in front of it.

Like what in front of it?

What if you were tall and I called you a beanpole, is that racist?

Electric pole is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

I'm afraid that you are wrong mister, my nationalist blinkers are not to tight for the simple reason that I son't have one. My but patriotic heart is bleeding when reading opinions of people who don't have a clue what the whole thing is about or getting their opinions from Mirror/Sun style BBC tv program. If you would say that all Poles are stupid thugs because you saw a small, tiny riot-like fight I would argue with you. The same I would argue with my firends Poles after showing them Grafton street or Temple bar after midnight on weekend night that all Irish are fat, farting drunks who piss themselves and smell of sick. One reason - it is not true, in both cases.

Myself I don't mind being called Pole, as long as there isn't anything like stupid or racist in front of it.

That is kind of my point.... you are defending something that people are (on the whole) not doing I dont see anyone saying that all Polish people are the same because a small minority are fighting, you are misinterpreting and assuming that people are saying that....

From what I have seen on here people are saying there were fights and a few isolated incidents from thugs who hooligans that wanted to cause trouble...not tarnishing the whole nation in the same way.

Incidentally... you seem to be ok with judging your comments on what has happened in the past 24 hours based on you not actually being there (like beefy was) but have an issue with other people commenting on what they see on tv and read in the papers... unless of course you were at every single incident of violence in the past 24 hours ;)

btw - I wouldnt mind one bit if you wanted to call all dubs 'fat, farting drunks who piss themselves and smell of sick' :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

books4sale wrote: »
    Like what in front of it?

What if you were tall and I called you a beanpole, is that racist?

Electric pole is another good one.

Pole, as Polish national, not pole as in electric pole.

What are you trying to prove here? Or you just trolling hoping for more flame?
    AEDIC wrote:
    That is kind of my point.... you are defending something that people are (on the whole) not doing I dont see anyone saying that all Polish people are the same because a small minority are fighting, you are misinterpreting and assuming that people are saying that....

From what I have seen on here people are saying there were fights and a few isolated incidents from thugs who hooligans that wanted to cause trouble...not tarnishing the whole nation in the same way.

The thing is that majority have seen BBC documentary, which pictures us in very bad way and they got a pictures from yesterday so-called riots = Poles are racists, BBC was right.
    I'm trying to say that yesterday events where provocation targeted on half-brain thugs. Me with 3/4 brain I can see this and see reasoning. It is politics, international politics, very dirty
    AEDIC wrote:
    Incidentally... you seem to be ok with judging your comments on what has happened in the past 24 hours based on you not actually being there (like beefy was) but have an issue with other people commenting on what they see on tv and read in the papers... unless of course you were at every single incident of violence in the past 24 hours

So are you saying that no one who hasn't witness the events can not say a word? Beefy's posts where very unclear on where he is, I'm not sure up to now where he(she) was yesterday (small town not the Poland-Russia one or actually Warsaw when was trouble in fan-zones).

TBH as I was disgusted seeing the BBC documentary I am ashamed after what has happened yesterday. But still I will defend this was caused by minority.

I read papers, watch tv, read books. I know enough about Polish history, and have enough brain to see deeper background which I tried to explain.
    It isn't just to have view on the whole thing after watching full of lies documentary and politic-backgrounded riots.
    AEDIC wrote:
    btw - I wouldnt mind one bit if you wanted to call all dubs 'fat, farting drunks who piss themselves and smell of sick'

I would mind, and wouldn't call anyone like that, that was my point which you have missed.

I would mind, and wouldn't call anyone like that, that was my point which you have missed.

Nope - I didnt miss anything my friend..... but I think you might have.... a sense of humour perhaps? :)

AEDIC wrote: »
    Nope - I didnt miss anything my friend..... but I think you might have.... a sense of humour perhaps? :)

yeah its funny to call people drunks or racists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

72 arrests sure is trouble, never could I see more clearer evidence, it only shows how under resourced the police are.

I have seen enough video evidence to know that everythings way out of control, fighting in the stadiums and spilling out on to the streets. Its a bloody warzone.

The cops need to start pulling the thumb out and get stuck in bringing law and order, it's out of control, the only alternative is for the footballing authorities to cancel this fiasco of a tournament.

These are indeed dark days for the beautiful game.

Hysteria - theres a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Who else was bidding for this tournament? Some of the media reports were sounding like sour grapes from the British.

Who else was bidding for this tournament? Some of the media reports were sounding like sour grapes from the British.

Another one is Italy, there was a lot of bad press from Italians. They had their WC 22 years ago

yeah its funny to call people drunks or racists

eeeks... you really must be great fun at parties...

Perhaps Poland doesnt have comedians..maybe thats it.... perhaps, going by tv and newspaper reports it just has thugs and racists ;)

(and again...as you seem to have trouble recognising it...that was irony)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I think we can expect bad things from future tournaments. They don't seem to be taking much into account when deciding on the hosts. There was obviously going to be a problem with right wing groups in Poland. Brazil are having to give their public servants training specifically aimed at making them not homophobic. France didn't is in the midst of racial tension for the past while now. Qatar doesn't allow homosexuals under law. Why are these racist/homophopic countries getting international tournaments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

MagicSean wrote: »
    I think we can expect bad things from future tournaments. They don't seem to be taking much into account when deciding on the hosts. There was obviously going to be a problem with right wing groups in Poland. Brazil are having to give their public servants training specifically aimed at making them not homophobic. France didn't is in the midst of racial tension for the past while now. Qatar doesn't allow homosexuals under law. Why are these racist/homophopic countries getting international tournaments?

Cause they got them in the past.

Facist Italy 1934, Brazil and I am pretty sure Uruguay had a facist dictator too when they hosted it.

Also the tournament is rotated by Continent so your going to have different cultures and customs. What countries would you say are large enough to host international tournaments but not racist/homophopic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So are you saying that no one who hasn't witness the events can not say a word? Beefy's posts where very unclear on where he is, I'm not sure up to now where he(she) was yesterday (small town not the Poland-Russia one or actually Warsaw when was trouble in fan-zones).

My first post didn't make clear where I was but I think you misunderstood it as well. I never said anything about small towns, and when I said "not a Poland-Russia one" I wasn't talking about my location, I was referring to my opinion on the cause of the violence outside the fanzone which seemed more to do with a Policing over-reaction to a crowd control situation than it did a set of hooligans out to cause bother.

In more important news though, Warsaw zoo is great

Pole, as Polish national, not pole as in electric pole.

What are you trying to prove here?

Thank you, I think you proved my point, sometimes its best to let people think for themselves.

What is the equivilent of Polish = Pole?............ Irish =Paddy?

I have never described any of my polish friends as poles. They are polish or not.

Nodin wrote: »
    Hysteria - theres a word.

Not in the slightist.

Body armour, baton charges, tear gas, rubber bullets, water canons and armoured vehicles. I haven't seen any of this to control the masses, it's plain to see the cops are under resourced.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm in Poland for the tournament and I have to say that the people are very friendly and that it is a great place for the tournament. I would definately come back some time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not in the slightist.

Body armour, baton charges, tear gas, rubber bullets, water canons and armoured vehicles. I haven't seen any of this to control the masses, it's plain to see the cops are under resourced.

Ridiculous comment. The police have been very well organised from what I have seen.

cournioni wrote: »
    Ridiculous comment. The police have been very well organised from what I have seen.

Well organised eating doughnuts i'd say ....

The video evidence says otherwise with lads kicking and beating the sh*te out of each other. A good hosing down wouldn't go astray.

Thank you, I think you proved my point, sometimes its best to let people think for themselves.

What is the equivilent of Polish = Pole?............ Irish =Paddy?

I have never described any of my polish friends as poles. They are polish or not.

First of all, not polish, but Polish. Second, not poles but Poles. third:
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/Pole?q=pole

So it is not Polish=Pole -> Irish=Paddy. I can't see how Pole can be offending to anyone, it is dictionary definition of someone with Polish nationality. It didn't come from pole as in electric pole, but from Polanie, tribe that we are descending from.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    My first post didn't make clear where I was but I think you misunderstood it as well. I never said anything about small towns, and when I said "not a Poland-Russia one" I wasn't talking about my location, I was referring to my opinion on the cause of the violence outside the fanzone which seemed more to do with a Policing over-reaction to a crowd control situation than it did a set of hooligans out to cause bother.

Ok fair enough, my apologies then.

OT: How would you compare it to Dublin Zoo? I was small kid when I was in Warsaw one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Well organised eating doughnuts i'd say ....
    That's US cops you're talking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not in the slightist.

There ye go.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18409776
    Now stop talking shite, if you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

Beefy78 wrote: »

Beefy78, if you're not zoo'd out, you should check out Poznan zoo.

Am not a huge fan of zoo's but this one is really great. It's very spacious compared to most, so lots of room for the animals. More like a wildlife park than a zoo.
    The recently built elephant house is amazing; the biggest in Europe apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

So, can we take it that the BBC went a bit over the top on their Panorama show and in actual fact the vast, vast majority of fans who have attended the EUROs have enjoyed it immensely in safe and secure surroundings?

Id be bit peeved if I was a Pole, their country probably missed out on lost tourism revenue due to the BBCs careless reporting.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

IrishAm wrote: »
    So, can we take it that the BBC went a bit over the top on their Panorama show and in actual fact the vast, vast majority of fans who have attended the EUROs have enjoyed it immensely in safe and secure surroundings?

Id be bit peeved if I was a Pole, their country probably missed out on lost tourism revenue due to the BBCs careless reporting.

I personally think Poland has been a magnificent host country along with Ukraine.

Their country has been slandered in the media in England for **** all reason and thats not fair. Personally I see very little difference between Poland and Ireland/England.

A great country and I hope they progress.

• Advertisement

Back to "cops are under resourced" comment.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-dos-and-donts-of-euro-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Irish supporter missing in Poznan I'v just read

Advertisement