Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths Predictions (Honours Only)

• 28-05-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Getting quite close now,anyone have any predictions?
    Ive heard Central Limit Therom is said to come up?
    Any other good ones?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hi guys,

Getting quite close now,anyone have any predictions?
    Ive heard Central Limit Therom is said to come up?
    Any other good ones?

:)

Proof of differential rule by induction maybe? Would be a lovely 6c

Or else proof of quotient rule

Learn Cos (A-B)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Could someone give me a list of proofs that can come up on Paper 1? I haven't learned any of them yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Proof of differential rule by induction maybe? Would be a lovely 6c

Or else proof of quotient rule

Learn Cos (A-B)

What do you mean by all of this, I have high hopes of passing and your entire post could have been in Greek,

proof of differential?
    Cos (A-b)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

We did that induction one today, its proving the idea of dropping the power to the front and reducing it by one. I hated it :eek: Came up in 2007 if anyone's curious to look at the solution.

Cos (A-B) I assume is the standard angle formula in the tables, but the proof of it.

Proofs

Cos A-B
    Sin rule
    Cos rule

^paper 2 proofs likely to arise

Learn all the proofs of induction especially the differential rule.

The proof of the product / quotient rule.

They're the most likely.

• Advertisement

Why are product and quotient rule likely? They're really difficult (lol, well, as first principles go) and a lot of the books tell you theres only 6 to learn, excluding those. They'd hardly want us to do badly. :eek:

I've heard 1/x and Sin x predicted from first principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Why are product and quotient rule likely? They're really difficult (lol, well, as first principles go) and a lot of the books tell you theres only 6 to learn, excluding those. They'd hardly want us to do badly. :eek:

I've heard 1/x and Sin x predicted from first principles.

http://irishjip.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/leaving-cert-project-maths-proofs-for-2012/

Here's a list of everything that could possibly show up. Most likely only 1 will show up. Have they ever asked the proof for De Moivre's Theorem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Where can I find the sin and cos proofs then? I have New Concise Maths 4 and 5 and they don't seem to be included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Rumor has it algebra is showing up this year..

skanger wrote: »
    Where can I find the sin and cos proofs then? I have New Concise Maths 4 and 5 and they don't seem to be included

There in there somewhere. I think 393ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Could someone help me with Folens paper 2 sample 3 q. 7 (a)?

I know its probably easy and I'm overthinking it but I am on the verge of going insane here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Are the implicit and logarithmic proofs of Product and Quotient rule deemed valid proofs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

The sigma symbol is coming off the course from next year so I reckon there's a strong chance of natural number series as a part C if you're doing question 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Enda93 wrote: »
    The sigma symbol is coming off the course from next year so I reckon there's a strong chance of natural number series as a part C if you're doing question 4

Where did you hear that? Sequences and series are still on the course, so I don't see why they wouldn't continue to use the sigma notation. I didn't see any document that said otherwise. Have you a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I have no idea where this stupid central limits thing has come from. Like one person was talking about it but its in none of the textbook.

It's in the samples though, and its on the syllabus.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I have no idea where this stupid central limits thing has come from. Like one person was talking about it but its in none of the textbook.

Don't worry. When I don't understand something, I like to tell myself it's not coming up. Works all the time..

Can see something like this coming up on the exam?

2446.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Can see something like this coming up on the exam?

2446.jpg

The guy on the right is a bit of an idiot...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

Enda93 wrote: »

Where did you hear that? Sequences and series are still on the course, so I don't see why they wouldn't continue to use the sigma notation. I didn't see any document that said otherwise. Have you a link?

Nope, my maths teacher says they're one of the things to go with project maths' desecration of paper 1 next year though. Sigma notation along with alphas and betas etc.
    ...apparently confusing symbols are too difficult for L.C students ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

It's in the samples though, and its on the syllabus.

Make sure you are using the correct syllabus as each year group has a different syllabus and the pilot schools have different syllabii again. Also then be sure to use the correct samples. Some examples were designed for the pilot schools and are not applicable to regular schools as the syllabus has been adjusted since.

No, its definitely on the standard 2012 project maths syllabus - its in the 2012 sample and I went to a revision course who said its on the syllabus, but that no one had realized.

No, its definitely on the standard 2012 project maths syllabus - its in the 2012 sample and I went to a revision course who said its on the syllabus, but that no one had realized.

Where is it in the syllabus out of interest? Also the formula is in the log tables on page 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Not on my copy of the syllabus?

Also, check out these comments ...

http://www.projectmaths.com/index.php/2012/05/project-maths-statistics-some-clarifications/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

They can't put the Central Limit Theorem if no one knows about it...they wouldn't. I highly doubt they'd do that to us considering the uproar that project maths has already caused. They'd want it to go smoothly, since it's this is the first proper year of it!

Question Is the Central Limit theorem on the course? To answer the SEC Q7c 2012 Sample knowledge of the central limit theorem was required. .

Answer: Formal treatment of the Central Limit Theorem is not required. As a result of their learning under Section 1.3, students should be able to construct sampling distributions (and see that they are approximately normal distributions)
    That appears in the samples. I didnt actually look at the syllabus, but if its in the sample papers and people have said it, it can be asked.

I dont know the ins and outs, all I know is that they can ask us it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study2012

Is it true that for paper 2 all we need to no is theorem 11 12 and 13 if not what are the theorems that are most likely to come up and what constructions. Also if anyone has predictions that will be useful too

Could someone help me with Folens paper 2 sample 3 q. 7 (a)?

I know its probably easy and I'm overthinking it but I am on the verge of going insane here

Hey, you may have it figured but just in case...

so the sample mean is 584. (Note word sample)

The standard deviation is 158.

Since it is at a 95% confidence, you use the empirical rule so it would be 584+/- 2σ

But because it's a sample, you must divide by the sample frame to allow for the standard of error.

so then it would be 584 plus or minus 2(158/root20).

It is not on our course apparently, but my teacher said it is possible for them to ask us one like that one given. (95% confidence level)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

If the Central Limits theorem is on the course, then why is it not in any of the books?

Also, the likelihood of Proof of Contradiction? I'll cry if it comes up :(

• Advertisement

If the Central Limits theorem is on the course, then why is it not in any of the books?

Also, the likelihood of Proof of Contradiction? I'll cry if it comes up :(

Because it's written cryptically in te syllabus! my teacher got us a whole exercise on it from k really old maths book she had! ITS

Advertisement