Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Olympics Essay

• 28-05-2012 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Everyone's been saying that the Olympics is a likely topic to come up in the essay for Irish this year. Thing is, we haven't prepared anything on it in school. We did do a general sport essay a while ago which I lamely tried to tie in to the Olympics by saying "The Olympics are on this year in London. I think the Olympics are great because they encourage an interest in sport..." and then went on about sport in general :P Don't think this would cut it in the exam though.

So what kind of things have you guys been saying in your Olympics essays? I'm not asking for anyone to give me a sample essay or anything, just a few ideas for what I could say and maybe some key words in Irish. I have a very small amount on controversy in the games, but it really is very little and would only make up about a paragraph in the essay. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Being honest I'm not 100% sure what you'd write in a purely Olympics essay. We did ours on sporting problems and then the Olympics and how Hitler used them to promote anti-semitism :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

My Olympic essay has Hitler in it too Patchy!
    I talked about the use of drugs in the olympics, gave a few statistics. Then I went to talk about the advantages of the olympics, how it brings money to the economy in the economic climate we're in. I talked about how important winning is to the competitors and how it's not just about the taking part anymore. I managed three pages talking about just this anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Oh yeah, I probably wouldn't write the whole thing on the Olympics, I'd tie in the general sport aspects as well :P But I have pretty much nothing on the topic of the Olympics and if it came up I'd need to write something :pac: Hmm, Hitler and anti-semitism sounds interesting :pac:

I also talked about when the Olympics were introduced and that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I THINK I did an olympics essay but I've no idea where it is... hoping something about the Irish language comes up. If I find my notes on the olympics I'll let you know what kind of points I have. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

M&S* wrote: »
    I talked about the use of drugs in the olympics, gave a few statistics. Then I went to talk about the advantages of the olympics, how it brings money to the economy in the economic climate we're in. I talked about how important winning is to the competitors and how it's not just about the taking part anymore. I managed three pages talking about just this anyways.

Three pages is loads for Irish and you can even get away with two good ones if you have reasonably small handwriting. :) I'm lucky in that I'm from the gaeltacht and so have an advantage at being able to b.s any topic that comes up but realistically so can everyone else probably :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Three pages is loads for Irish and you can even get away with two good ones if you have reasonably small handwriting. :) I'm lucky in that I'm from the gaeltacht and so have an advantage at being able to b.s any topic that comes up but realistically so can everyone else probably :P

:pac:

I generally have 5 words per line so my writing is by no means small. :o
    Sadly, I couldn't make up an essay and get high marks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I'm a fairly good Irish speaker but I'm not willing to risk my A on making grammar mistakes :P Fingers crossed for a Young People essay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

leaveiton wrote: »
    Everyone's been saying that the Olympics is a likely topic to come up in the essay for Irish this year. Thing is, we haven't prepared anything on it in school. We did do a general sport essay a while ago which I lamely tried to tie in to the Olympics by saying "The Olympics are on this year in London. I think the Olympics are great because they encourage an interest in sport..." and then went on about sport in general :P Don't think this would cut it in the exam though.

So what kind of things have you guys been saying in your Olympics essays? I'm not asking for anyone to give me a sample essay or anything, just a few ideas for what I could say and maybe some key words in Irish. I have a very small amount on controversy in the games, but it really is very little and would only make up about a paragraph in the essay. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks! :)
    We did one in the Olympics and mine came to almost 3 pages (small enough writing).I have history, how good they are, pressure, cheating, 2 small stories of people who cheated, Hitler's propaganda, how they're on in London but there are a lot of security issues and finally about the special olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I've prepared
    • Daoine Óga / Córas Oideachas
    • Coiriulacht
    • Cúlú Eacnamíocht / Dífhostaíocht
    • Spórt

I've only learnt off the last 2. Think I'd be safe enough with just those...as Recession came up in mocks.
    Recession and Sport both seem highly likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 screeeewed

M&S* wrote: »

Hey, I'm just after getting out of hospital yesterday, was in there for the past two weeks, and I'm so screwed for irish, haven't even started the poems or Storys yet, but I can't drop..my parents won't let me..and I have never done an.essay on the Olympics before..but I need a high grade..would you please help me..like if any way possible I could use your essay as a guide I would be so greatful..just to have an idea what to talk about it in Irish..I'm so afraid I won't get the points I need..and I'm only doin 6 higher out of 8..so I need to do well in Irish..I'm begging for your help:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks everyone, I've a few ideas now for what I could say :) It's not even the Irish that bothers me, just the complete lack of ideas considering I have zero interest in the Olympics in English :pac: I'm hoping to avoid it anyway, I'll have other essays prepared, but I thought it'd be a bit silly not to prepare something seeing as it's so likely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Im not doing the Olympics, so cant really help you there.
    I have a sport related one but dont think I'll prepare it.
    Anyways, you dont need to have really strong knowledge of the subject .. only 20 marks go for your points, the rest is grammar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenjen94

would anyone like to give me a sample essay on the olympics! Plzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

i have an essay on sport- ní spórt é a thuilleadh, so olympics better not come up cos i don't have it on that. if i'm honest olympics might be too predictable

i'm learning religion, young people problems, media, environment, state of irish, education, politics and sport and if one of them don't fit i will be extremely aggravated :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

xclw wrote: »
    i have an essay on sport- ní spórt é a thuilleadh, so olympics better not come up cos i don't have it on that. if i'm honest olympics might be too predictable
    Mine's just on sport too with a bit on the olympics - tbh I'm still gonna write it if I have to coz 1. its better than nothing and 2. only 20 marks go for the actual points, 80 for your Irish, and its not wholly irrelevant so come at me paper 1 :pac:

Advertisement