Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pistol shooting

• 28-05-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Well lads done some pistol shooting yesterday and loved it we started off with .22s and later fired 9mm glock and cz. I am considering getting into the sport one of the pistols was .22 ruger target gun witch i loved the instructor said it was about €800 is there any sights to look out for second hand guns or tips please thanks.

paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Are you a member of a range that shoots pistol? That's step 1 really.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Yea thats not a problem could sort that step in the morning if it suited,:Di was wondering about the price and availabilty of firearms!!

Have a look at the 'list' of unrestricted .22 pistols in the commissioner's guidelines, those would probably be the easiest pistols to licence, some supers will licence .22s that aren't on this list and some will stick to it. Prices depend on what model you choose and if you go second hand etc. All you can do is shop around for a good price on them like any firearm.

Thanks lad is there any online site to have a flick through?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It should be noted that you are restricted to buying a .22 rimfire caliber only. As in .22lr ammo. Centrefire pistols cannot be licensed unless you held a license for one before 19th November 2008.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Yes thanks Ezridax he went through this with us and range prices,security and of course the super!! we are lucky the county we live in semly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I think i am correct in saying that dealers in the republic are not allowed to import pistols just to have in stock like they can with shotguns and rifles , if you want one you have to go and get an article 7 import licence yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    I think i am correct in saying that dealers in the republic are not allowed to import pistols just to have in stock like they can with shotguns and rifles , if you want one you have to go and get an article 7 import licence yourself.

No, they can import unrestricted pistols same as any other firearm. There used to be an issue over this five or six years ago, but not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

gunshop.ie
    shoot.ie

They don't have pistols up on the website but if you ring the phone numbers, that would be a good place to check prices.

Prices on foreign websites are a good bit cheaper but by the time you get them in here, and all the extra hoops that you have to jump through, they will wind up costing you in or around the price you'd pay here anyway.

The best advice is to go to a range and ask loads of questions, that's what I'd do first. You are looking at paying in or around €800 or so for any sort of gun that's accurate, and much much more if you want to. There are cheaper ones but I've tried a few of them and while some of them look cool, they aren't very accurate.

This might sound like weird advice but don't buy a gun solely on price. Price is important but in my opinion, the fit of the gun is more important. Try out loads of them first and see what suits you. Different guns suit different people.

Best of luck with your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

paddy2008 wrote: »
    Well lads done some pistol shooting yesterday and loved it we started off with .22s and later fired 9mm glock and cz. I am considering getting into the sport one of the pistols was .22 ruger target gun witch i loved the instructor said it was about €800 is there any sights to look out for second hand guns or tips please thanks.
    paddy

Ouch! €800:eek:!!!

When it comes to the 22LR, you'll find a lot of finicky pistols out there. I have a P22 which I regret buying. I'm in the states so it's no big deal.

The Ruger Mk line has one of the best reputations out there. It is one that I would recommend. I have also heard great things about the Buckmaster and the Hammerli's.

The Sig Mosquito looks cool, however, it's another about which I have heard bad things.

I now have a revolver for my 22LR plinking - it helps slow me down!

Slan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

FISMA wrote: »

The Sig Mosquito looks cool, however, it's another about which I have heard bad things.

I owned a sig mosquito and while it looks cool it was a piece of crap. it was extremely finiky with ammo usually shoot cci mini mags the best but they still were great. it wasnt that accurate and the firing pin snapped in half. i finally had enough and traded it for a GSG 1911 .22lr. i love the look and feel of 1911 handguns as they are full size copies of the centrefire versions. the GSG is very well made and accurate and can be got from fingal sports for around 500 euro.

hammerli's are also excellent but i just didnt like the feel of it in my hand.

TB26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Paddy, as you may have discovered, IMHO there's no better way to learn pistol shooting than by starting with a .22. I am a decent pistol shot and I owe that in large part to starting the right way and not developing any bad habits.

I started pistol shooting with an all time classic - the Ruger Single Six shooting cotton mouths and water moccasins while wading back woods creeks in Tennessee fishing for gar and catfish. Nice thing it came with both .22LR and .22 Mag cylinders, and as many Irish shooters can attest the .22 mag is a neat and versatile cartridge. With the hollow points in .22 Mag, you didn't have to make a direct hit on a snake in the water, but you could "depth charge" them with close proximity hits. Not sure if your licensing rules will allow for two cylinders, but the Single Six is accurate and excellent for learning to shoot.

1owy0w.jpg

Eventually I traded it in for the other Ruger classic that I still own, the Mk II. I totally agree with FISMA that it is an outstanding choice for target work, they should be available somewhere more reasonably priced.

2570xu8.jpg

Tommyboy and the others have also given you sage advice, you can never go wrong with a well made 1911 design. There are several good choices out there right now including German and Italian models. The 1911 design is inherently accurate if well made and in .22LR an excellent way to learn. Agree for a good pistol, price is only one consideration, save some money if you must to do it right. Best of luck!

30mxq8p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

paddy

Hi Paddy,

Where were you allowed to shoot Pistol? can you give details ?

~B

Mod note: reference deleted

We done 100 bird sporting clay shoot then went to the pistols and had a great day!! We shot 4 different .22 pistols than 2, 9mm pistols.

I wonder do the DOJ know they're letting people use restricted firearms? I imagine not....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

We done 100 bird sporting clay shoot then went to the pistols and had a great day!! We shot 4 different .22 pistols than 2, 9mm pistols.

Cheers for the link.

So looks like this crowd has found some Legal method to allow
    people to shoot something other than shotgun for non-members within
    the republic. Fantastic news if its all above board and legal.
    (If its true and above board I can hear some friends roaring road trip!)

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Blay wrote: »
    I wonder do the DOJ know they're letting people use restricted firearms? I imagine not....

+1

cant see the doj allowing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bullets wrote: »
    So looks like this crowd has found some Legal method to allow people to shoot something other than shotgun for non-members within
    the republic. Fantastic news if its all above board and legal.
    It's not legal, so we've deleted the link (no offence, but it's an unconfirmed report).

After discussing this topic with the DoJ, we were able to outline the procedure for legally allowing people to shoot with unrestricted firearms (rifle, shotgun and pistol); but there is no legal way for that to happen with restricted firearms.

For the curious, the procedure is that it has to be on an authorised range, with club firearms, given to non-club members who have to either get instruction or be approved by a club instructor (and they have to use that firearm regularly or be re-certified). The club rules, the club insurance and the range licence conditions all have to allow for it as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement